Grado SR225i
Jan 24, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #16 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, this is my exact path:

PX-100-->SR-60-->SR-125-->SR-225--SR-325is + MS-1i + PortaPro-->HF-2 + SR-225i-->RS-1/RS-i (which I am about the compare with my roommates HF-2's)

sampson_smith, you got a long adventure with the Grados.
May I ask for suggestions please.
Being an SR60 lover, what adventure route would you best recommend for us please?
Should I go for
1. SR60-->SR225-->RS1
2. SR60-->SR325-->RS1
3. SR60-->RS1
4. SR60-->SR60

Please share your comment.
Thank you.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #17 of 49
I would be glad to!

This really depends on two things. Your intermediate could be either the SR-225i or SR-325is, depending on your taste in music and treble. I bet you would be amazed by the SR-225i's, though. Price-wise, they are also a safer bet. I wasn't a fan of the old pair of SR-225's that I bought very used. But the newer, crisper SR-225i was fantastic. Get SR-325is's if you feel that you will appreciate their extended top end. Many of the SR-325 fanatics love their metal. If this is a genre that you listen to frequently, have at it. From there, either the RS-1(i) or HF-2, depending on how you like your bass, most importantly. I will certainly have an HF-2 in the collection again soon, but want to explore the RS series out a bit. They are amazing, mellow, yet detailed cans. May not have the thump that many types of music I listen to require, though.

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:27 AM Post #18 of 49
I also just got the SR225i, and I'm new to the quality headphone world. While I continue to use the SR225i through out the day I can hear the sound improving. For some reason I thought the soundstage of the SR225i would be more defined and larger. Does this improve during the 'burn in' period? Or do the SR225i's just not have a that large of a sound stage compared to other headphones in it's class?

How is the soundstage of the RS2 compared to the SR225i?

Either way, I love the SR225i, as I think they are perfect for on the go music, light weight, and I like open headphones so that I may continue to be aware of my surroundings when crossing streets, etc.
jecklinsmile.gif

Jan 24, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #19 of 49
The soundstage on any Grados is not going to be particularly large, though it should be a bit wider with the RS-2's and wider and deeper still with the RS-1's. Grados do that "in your face", on the stage with the band, thing very well. This obv. compromises the headstage.

Jan 24, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #20 of 49
Got it, thanks! I'm still new to developing a taste for each brand. But I do love listening to my favorite stereophonic rock with the SR225i's (Air and Stereolab both sound great!). But I'm looking for a headphone that has a large soundstatge for sound design purposes. The AKG K-702 will be a nice addition for that... (Addictive habbit these phones are
bigsmile_face.gif
)

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #23 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by artforme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got it, thanks! I'm still new to developing a taste for each brand. But I do love listening to my favorite stereophonic rock with the SR225i's (Air and Stereolab both sound great!). But I'm looking for a headphone that has a large soundstatge for sound design purposes. The AKG K-702 will be a nice addition for that... (Addictive habbit these phones are
bigsmile_face.gif
)

You may want to look into the Denon D2000 for your "stereophonic" needs. Air and Stereolab both really shine on those dynamic cans.

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:45 AM Post #24 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may want to look into the Denon D2000 for your "stereophonic" needs. Air and Stereolab both really shine on those dynamic cans.

Thanks! Noted.

(Pizzicato Five is another fun band I would put under the 'stereophonic rock' genre, which I'm currently loving listening with some good headphones)

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:58 PM Post #25 of 49
Alright I'm just making an update on the progress I've been making with these cans.

10 solid hours of listening in and these cans have gotten worse then better.

At about 6-7 hours they started to get more clutter but now thats all starting to subside and they sound stage is really getting more broad and defined. The bass also got pretty obnoxious and bloated but again that has toned down and the treble's sound much sharper and less squealy.

A lot of people have made comments about the rather odd break in cycle these cans go through and they're right, It gets much worse then unbelievably better. I'll report back after I bank another 10-12 hours of music.

Aug 5, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #26 of 49
I know this thread is a few months old, but I got a pair of 225i this week and have some of the same opinions. I have had the 80i and 60i in the past. For me..I can't believe how much more I like the 225. I think first and foremost, the overly brightness of the 80i is tamed so much in the 225. Then the bass is much punchier and all around better to me. I am using my xm4 with bass boost on, which is the same I used with the 60/80. Been burning them in overnight and all day while at work for two days..gonna do that for a week or so. The thing that surprised me too is that on the 80 and 60..the bowls just made it so shrill for me..so when I ordered these..I  ordered the s cushions at the same time. Unfortunately..someone in the shipping dept put in a package of pads for the igrado by mistake. So while I am waiting for the flats to arrive..I am actually liking the bowls just fine on the 225. I ordered some 414 pads from ebay too just to check them out. I have always been a fan of the grado look which is a minority...but I will say that for a $200 headphone it seems they would feel better made than the 60i, but they are the same exact quality imo as the 60i..except for the metal grills. So for me, the extra $ was well worth it.. got it for $170 shipped.

Aug 6, 2010 at 9:56 AM Post #27 of 49
I recently got a pair of 225i's myself to copmlement my 80i's.  Interestingly enough, like Del, I have an XM4 headphone amp.

I had the opposite reaction when I first got my 225i's - I was underwhelmed.  When I got my 80i's a year ago, I was in music listening heaven - it was awesome right off the bat!  I wasn't expecting to have the same "wow" experience with the 225i's, but I expected something to be obviously different.

At first, I really didn't hear that much that was different.  If anything, I thought the 225i's were lacking in bass as compared to the 80i's.

After I spent more time with them and experimented with different pad styles (bowls vs. comfies), I began to appreciate what I still think are basically subtle differences between the 2 headphones.  When I would think "these headphones really sound good", I'd put my 80i's back on and think "these sound really good too".

I think the 225i's are a better headphone - wider soundstage and more detailed sound, but I don' think the difference jumps out at you.  It's more of a subtle difference that you appreciate after some hours of listening.

All IMHO of course.  It's interesting to get different opinions on this stuff.

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #28 of 49
Just Got my SR225i.

I see what you guys were ranting about all this time.

The Guitars...where did that ...texture...come from???
basshead.gif

and they're still breaking in. less than an hour on them. Yes, The Treble is frighteningly sharp. The Bowls are somewhat awkward. And the construction, well-let's just say it was put together by 5-year olds.

hopefully they'll settle down with a relaxed treble. coming from the HD600, everything sounds so...crystalline. HD600's seem so warm now.

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #29 of 49
Dec 18, 2010 at 7:47 AM Post #30 of 49
Congrats on getting your 225's.

I have recently purchased the 325's and it looks like our taste in music is very similar.

I just love these things to death and there has not been a day go by that i have not listened to them.

The guitars sound out of this world!

I also have always been a fan of detailed and bright highs, so these are just what the doctor ordered for me.

There are not too bright for me at all as I consider it one of the cans strong points.

The best way I can describe them is...."FUN, In Your Face, Gitter Done Cans"....The way rock & roll cans ought to be.

Enjoy your 225's....I know you will.

Rock on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back