grado sr-60 R.I.P.
Sep 25, 2001 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

skippy

Making Grados better through surgery.
9/25/2001 3:14AM EST, my grado sr-60's come to an untimely death. after having a near death experience some time ago, they have lived their life to their fullest. they opened a new world for me, brought me countless memories, and caressed me with their sonic bliss.

sleep well my beauties.

Sep 25, 2001 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 11
skippy: Send them back to Grado for repair. They can help you out.

Sep 25, 2001 at 5:25 PM Post #5 of 11
looks like a double driver failure. on one voice coil wire snap while i was trying to get rid of a diaphram wrinkle. the other driver had the lead to the voice col snapped too (from shoddy soldering job i did with the previous procedure i did on it) . i really don't need to send them in, as i know i could do some voice coil surgery, but i really have no use for the sr-60's right now. so they will remain in this lifeless state until i need them.

Sep 25, 2001 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 11
doctor skippy - my sympathies go out to you
frown.gif

Sep 28, 2001 at 7:10 AM Post #7 of 11
i've been sitting at my computer all day staring at a mathcad worksheet, trying see what i can do about the voigt pipe i built. i took a break, and decided to fix my sr-60s.

first one went well. the wire just broke outside the driver. had that fixed in under a minute.

second driver got complicated. i the wire broke right where it meets the voice coil. i took off the diaphram, but i couldn't see where the break was. i took out the microscope i used to use when i was 10 and stuck the diaphram and voice coil underneath. after a couple of hours of looking through the microscope i see a little silver dot. eureka! tried to fish the wire out with a pin, with no luck. so i removed a bit of the voice coil from the diaphram and then used the pin to get to the wire. success at last! unwound one loop of wire, solder, and glue the diaphram back in place. now we're rolling. everything's back to normal.

if anyone has a pair of broken grados lying around, i'd be glad to take 'em off your hand.

Sep 29, 2001 at 5:40 AM Post #10 of 11
i have got a digital camera, but my brother has borrowed it (and quite frankly i'm expecting him to return it). i did buy a cheapo jam cam to use. they're supposed to be fixed focus, but you can modify them so that you adjust the focus. the lens assembly is melted together with a tap of a soldering iron. usually the seal can be broken with a strong twist. unfortunately the one i gotwas melted together very, very well. i tried using a pair of pliers and vice grips, but no luck.

i do have another digital camera with macro mode thing, but the indoor pics really suck.

Sep 29, 2001 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 11
I tried to use my friend's JamCam 3.0 to take 640x480 closeups of my now completed Clou cable clone, but the detail was so horrible that you could only make out the shape and color of what was in the picture.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back