Grado SR-325 vs SR-60
Feb 1, 2004 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

gsferrari

Member of the Trade: Veda Audio Contributor
I thought this would be a no-contest and I was "almost" correct in this assumption.

listening to Andrea Bocelli on Sogno and Romanza proved the superiority of the the the 325's. Same case with Norah Jones (Come away with me) and just about anything involving strings and vocals.

the SR-60 goes lower and is bassier (touching boomy but not unpleasant) and more enjoyable with a portable but the 325 just made the above mentioned albums come to life!!

I felt like I was Bocelli when he sang Sogno and I could actually picturize and feel Celine Dion beside me in "The Prayer".

The flat pads make a HUGE difference and because I had only one I had to swap it between the cans even though they were both being amped simultaneously by the Perreaux.

I have never experienced this kind of "moving" emotion for a song and it doesnt sound recorded at all!!

I dont know what is special about the 325's to make this come true because neither the SR-60's nor the Senn HD-580's could project the vocals like the 325 could...

Hats off...

my only gripe?? They are still using cheap plastic supports and a pathetic excuse for a leather headband!!

neverthless...nothing wrong with the sound

Feb 2, 2004 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Nights_85
I think grado's gone for the function over form ideal.
sure it works but it's not very asthetic (and sometimes rather uncomfortable)

I don't know about you, but I find the grado sr-325's aestheticly superior to the sennheiser hd 600, mostly due to their unique design. I just can't take my eyes of the aluminum chambers.
cool.gif

In fact I find the RS-1's MUCH more attractive than other hi-end headphones. They just speak to me in some way.

I guess its all about person preference here

Feb 2, 2004 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 19
The grado sound is unique. I have the grado sr-80's and am listening to, as I speak, Ibrahim Ferrer, from the Buena Vista Social Club with Ry Cooder on electric guitar and his son Joachim on drums, with my Denon DCP100 and Corda HA-1 and the detail is superb. The base is ok. I want more but the grado sound makes up for the absence. The base is punchy but less than my Senn H525's, however it makes up for it in detail. So, for critical listening I use my 80's until I can hook it up to my real rig with my ATH-W1000's. IMO, bu t I don't have a golden ear yet.

Feb 2, 2004 at 4:41 AM Post #5 of 19
I actually really like the way Grado headphones look. I wear my SR-60s constantly outside (like in my avatar), and feel way more comfortable with them than any other portable headphone i own.
rs1smile.gif

Feb 2, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 19
I have the same CD and you are right!! Buena Vista Social Club is beautiful on its own but Ibrahim's vocals just seem to come from your own mouth when you wear the 325's.

With the 580's he is in front of me and at least 20 meters away. With the SR-60's he is RIGHT in front of me but with the 325's - he IS me !!
very_evil_smiley.gif

No other way to describe it - stunning sound!!

Oh and I love the looks - I wear my SR-60's to school everyday and they look so PRO around your neck with them lying flat on your chest!! I let the cables out of the shirt, roll up the excess and put it through the belt hole - no complaints about the length of the cable.

The SR-325 has a shorter cable than the SR-60.

The difference between them is subtle but after hearing the 325 you just dont wanna go back to the 60
frown.gif
Damn mikeg who gave me these cans
very_evil_smiley.gif

LOL

Feb 2, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

"I love the way my Grados look, I can't take my eyes off them..."

When I wear any headphone i can't see them, unless I sit in front of a mirror, which would be really disturbing.

What looks have got to do with how a particular headphone sounds?

IMHO opinion Grado's are the most over-rates, and over priced cans in the market... That’s my opinion, no flaming.

Feb 2, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by wali
When I wear any headphone i can't see them, unless I sit in front of a mirror, which would be really disturbing.

IMHO opinion Grado's are the most over-rates, and over priced cans in the market... That’s my opinion, no flaming.

Not flaming, but that's not much of an opinion if you don't state your reasons for thinking so.

Looks don't affect the sound but then no one said they did. Someone mentioned Grados being ugly and others were professing how much they like the design.

Feb 2, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #10 of 19
I'm not sure how over-rated gados are. but they are pretty darn detailed, even on the sub hi-fifi stuff I have. and yea, they all lookthe same untill the 325's. I'm just saying that the 80's with an amp (which the original poster didn't want) are pretty darn good.

Feb 2, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

IMHO I guess, that lower Grados SR-60's, SR-80's aren't overpriced, on the contrary, they are the best bang for bucks. Everyone has different ears and different taste: if you don't like the sound of specific cans, it doesn't automatically mean they are overpriced.
wink.gif

The look of your headphones also affect your perception. Even you don't see them while wearing them, a nice design improves your overall feeling, it helps you create a good mood before you start to listen to them, it's like colors you like/dislike.

Feb 2, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #12 of 19
GSFerrari, do SR-325's have plastic cover of a headband? MS-2's have leather.

I purchased Alessandro MS-2 and they sound way better than SR-80. I found MS-2 being quite neutral, the resolution is great, the details are very sharp, more 3D (SR-80's sound flat in comparison), the forward of Grado sound seems to be the same for both cans. I agree with vocals, I guess it's due to the longer air chambers and a use of aluminium.

Feb 2, 2004 at 9:38 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Isnt that just sad? Why are you ignorant of the fact that some types of music are dynamite through Grados? Your kind of opinion adds nothing intelligent to this forum.

Feb 2, 2004 at 11:59 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by CyberGhost
what you guys think of SR-225s?

very nice headphones, bit sharp with the bowls but with flat pads they are really nice.quite detailed and just plain enjoyable to listen to..

unfortunately like all grado's not the comfiest headphones on the planet (and thats WITH flat pads but only after a few hours)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back