grado sound but less bright
Sep 1, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 52
You could also try the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's they provide excellent isolation which might help given that you can listen at lower volumes and still hear all the details of the music. They are also very warm sounding, and trebles aren't too bright.

Sep 1, 2003 at 8:26 PM Post #17 of 52
Any music coming out of my last two sound cards, hooked up to an amp or not, gives me a headache no matter which headphones I used. I think half your problem is the sr325's (incredibly bright) and your the other half your sound card (fatiguing). Maybe you should burrow some other cans and see if this is true as it is in my case.

Biggie.

Sep 1, 2003 at 11:24 PM Post #18 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by zeplin
cello,
try to look into Audio Technicas. they sound like the phone you want.

The A900 is a decent closed Grado substitute.

Sep 1, 2003 at 11:44 PM Post #19 of 52
Aight, so I think the K501s are the next step. I'm gonna wait a bit and then sell my grados, or try to trade them for the K501s. I'm looking for a open headphone, so the K900s won't work, and I'm looking for a lot of action in the sound, so any sennheiser would probably not do it (except for the 590s).

By the way, is the only reason why the K501s arent often thought of as "rock" headphones is because of the lack of bass? Or are they thought of as rock headphones and I'm just entirely wrong...

Sep 2, 2003 at 1:39 AM Post #20 of 52
i love my k501s. they are far and away the most comfortable and least fatiguing headphones i own. but not only are they very polite and genteel on the bass, (even well amped) they are just polite all around. i wouldn't call them laid back, but just polite. if that makes sense. i can't really rock with them but i can definately groove. so, i don't think they'll ever be known as rock headphones, but that doesn't mean i can't enjoy rock out of them.

and i don't know if any of this really makes sense to you. so if you have anymore questions or want to know spefically how they relate to my hd600s or my rs-1s let me know.

Sep 2, 2003 at 2:08 AM Post #21 of 52
I tried for a month to get used to / break in a pair of SR-325's and I never could get used to the ear-bleeding highs. Finally took them back to the store. My SR-200s are totally mellow. Awesome mids, smooth, but slightly rolled off highes, low end not as extended as the SR-325.

The 501s might do it for you, but you will notice the difference in the bass between the 325 and the 501.

Best of luck!
rs1smile.gif

Sep 2, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by cello
Aight, so I think the K501s are the next step. I'm gonna wait a bit and then sell my grados, or try to trade them for the K501s. I'm looking for a open headphone, so the K900s won't work, and I'm looking for a lot of action in the sound, so any sennheiser would probably not do it (except for the 590s).

By the way, is the only reason why the K501s arent often thought of as "rock" headphones is because of the lack of bass? Or are they thought of as rock headphones and I'm just entirely wrong...

Just don't expect the Grado sound out of K501. Only way I got an acceptable *action* out of k501 was with Emmeline amp. No lack of bass there. Creek was good also, but not as clear as Emmeline.

It takes some effort for K501 to rock and has a different flavor from Grado which you might like.

At any case, tho, get yourself a decent sound card or DAC. K501's top end can sound threadbare albait it projects less forward than Grado.

Sep 2, 2003 at 4:41 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by usc goose
i love my k501s. they are far and away the most comfortable and least fatiguing headphones i own. but not only are they very polite and genteel on the bass, (even well amped) they are just polite all around. i wouldn't call them laid back, but just polite. if that makes sense.

It does to me... I had a phono cartridge (Shure M97xE) that fit the same definition. Unfortunately I had stopped buying vinyl and was losing interest, until I upgraded to a different cart... "polite" does not do it for me at all. Why even listen to music if the life and emotion aren't communicated properly?

So many people complaining about "harsh" highs or emphasized lows with so many cans... do people listen to test tones all day, or what? If a pair of cans sounded tonally flat to me but didn't communicate the life and energy of the music, I wouldn't touch it.

Sep 2, 2003 at 4:56 AM Post #24 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
do people listen to test tones all day, or what? If a pair of cans sounded tonally flat to me but didn't communicate the life and energy of the music, I wouldn't touch it.

heheheh, fewtch, I agree with you!
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2003 at 5:00 AM Post #25 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by kuma
heheheh, fewtch, I agree with you!
biggrin.gif

We should start a Team "I listen to music, not SQ" or something like that...
wink.gif
But would have to think of a better name for it...

Edit -- I have to admit falling into the habit of "listening to the SQ of my equipment" on occasion.. but I also realize it's a bad habit and not something good to engage in outside of meets and things like that...

Sep 2, 2003 at 6:13 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally posted by fewtch
Edit -- I have to admit falling into the habit of "listening to the SQ of my equipment" on occasion.. but I also realize it's a bad habit and not something good to engage in outside of meets and things like that...

oh sure. I do that when I'm auditioning gear. I want to make sure i'll be happy long term.
The thing with me is that i slice and dice once I like a particular equipment to find out *why* I like it.

But mostly, my criterion is pretty simple.
Can it groove and get down on it?
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2003 at 6:19 AM Post #27 of 52
Well, I can see why you have the Grado RS-1 and not a Sennheiser HD-600...
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2003 at 7:23 AM Post #29 of 52
kwkarth, so you were saying that the sr-225s are that much better? Perhaps I should take a look at those. I really do love the grado sound, it just simply hurts my ears.
frown.gif

edit - kuma, your puppy (is that yours?) is adorable
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back