grado RS2 VS beyerdynamic DT880
Oct 29, 2010 at 7:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

hagay

New Head-Fier
hey

for the same price i can get a brand new beyerdynamic DT880 or go for a slightly use grado RS2 (not the new "i" version)

what do you think?

Oct 29, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #4 of 21
Based on your preference and lack of an amp, I'd go for the RS2. Besides, the DT880 isn't going anywhere, whereas somebody will undoubtedly swoop up that Grado.

And, if you don't like it, you can sell it here or elsewhere for most of what you paid as Grados are continuously changing hands.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #5 of 21
The AMP section of STX will definitelly be strong enough for Grados. However, i don't think it is the 'right' amplification. From what I read RS2 is very bright headphone so I would recommend tube AMP. You have stated that soon you're getting little dot - then it changes things completely. I think that it would not be a torture to stay with STX and Beyers for a while and then get an AMP later. Just read (or audition if you can) about both and decide which one is for you. If you are definitely getting dedicated headphone amplifier then I don't see no problems at all. I know at least two people who use their Beyers with Xonar ST and tested few separate amplifiers and said they were really good but Xonar ST/STX + DT880 were a very good rig either.

It all comes down to preference. If you like open soundstage then Beyers will be better than RS2 even if not amped properly.

Oct 29, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
right now i dont have an amp just asus stx soundcard but soon im getting little dot mk3
and i listen most to rock

Grados for you, problem solved
wink.gif

Oct 29, 2010 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 21
To be honest - I would not enjoy RS2 with rock. If they are anything more bright than SR80i (and they certainly are) they would be to harsh for my taste. It's just my opinion though. I've yet got to listen to either RS2 or RS1 to check if for me they are so bright as people say. It's not my thread anyway so it's all up to OP.

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 21
I didn't really dig the Grado coloration, but loads of people swear by it and who am I to say they're wrong. Actually, I've heard that the Prestige Series gets brighter as you go up the ranks, but the Reference Series returns to the comparatively mellow territory of the SR60i, just with much more refinement. I wouldn't mind trying something from that series myself--there were things I liked a lot about my SR225i, but I never forgot I was wearing headphones because of that Grado signature.

Ironically for the OP, I ultimately went with the DT880, which I recommended against above. They're fine for rock (at least I think so), but it's probably not a strong suit. They have none of that Grado warmth in the midrange, and they're somewhat slower, subjectively. I still say go for the Grados, and if you don't like them, they won't be hard to shift. Unwanted Grado is an oxymoron around these parts.

Oct 29, 2010 at 1:22 PM Post #10 of 21
This also depends on where the OP lives. I live in UK and here Grado RS2 cost twice more than HD600 and DT880 which in my opinion is simply insane price and totaly not worth it. You can buy used from US members of head-fi but then again - they are not going to sell it below ~$340 and you have to add to that high VAT and import taxes which also raise the total price signifiantly to the point when it's far more expensive than reference cans of other companies (which come nice, shiny and brand new from shops not previous owners).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back