Grado RS1i - which is the best amp match
Jul 13, 2013 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

waterl00

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I just went home from New York City where I bought a phantastic Grado RS1i (for my ears).

I am a beginner for headphones and I am looking now for a good matching amp for the RS1i.

I am friend of tube amps, like the warm sound and the wide soundstage.

The headphone amp does not imperativly need to be a tube amp, but it should produce a wide soundstage and the warm sound LIKE a tube amp. 

MAD Ear+ HD could be a good option as far as i read it here. Are there any other suggestions for the RS1i?

Thanks a lot
Loo

Jul 13, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 14
Little Dot tube amp is a cheap option that is often recommended.  Personally never heard it.
I've owned Woo Audio 6 and Mad Ear.  They were both good options.  The Mad Ear is warmer and best with Grados. 

But for Solid State, the Violectric V200 is the best I've heard with Grados.  But it's $1000 amp.  It's very tube like but has the best of both tube and solid state sound. 

Jul 13, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 14
I would love to have a Mad Ear, but I just bought a Little Dot 1+ from a fellow head-fier and it sounds wonderful paired with my RS1i.

For the small price , I like the opamp and tube rolling options.

I listened to AC/DC    "Shes Got The Jack" numerous times last night, as the guitar riff was just off the hook.....It made me smile .

Jul 14, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks

Yesterday I ordered one Little Dot 1+ to get started with my Grado.

Nevertheless the Vioectric HPA 200 is also on my wishlist.

Regarding the LD1+ I have now read that many people made some opamp rolling (besides the tube rolling)

Is there any detailed description how to do that opamp replacement?

Regards
Loo

Jul 14, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:
or is it that easy?

pull out the old opamp, plugin the new one?

no soldering?

You are correct, the opamp is on a socket.

Just pull out and replace.....the proper tool makes this fast and easy.

Jul 14, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #9 of 14
Jul 14, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 14
Yes it is.

Oct 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #13 of 14
  Yes it is.

I just received my OPA2107 this afternoon and put it in the LD1+, and I'm listening to some smooth jazz with the RS1i's, and as far as I can hear it sounds a bit more detailed and clearer with better/wider instrument separation and a touch more forward in the mids. So far I'm enjoying the sound very much. It sound more "alive".

Oct 11, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #14 of 14
I found it more detailed also....it seems to be a great fit with the LD 1+

Users who are viewing this thread

Back