Grado RS1i vs Sennheiser HD 650
Feb 22, 2011 at 3:59 AM Post #2 of 30
RS1i gets my vote

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:26 AM Post #4 of 30
Considering you can buy two new HD650's for the price of one new RS1, I went with the HD650 myself (comes today WOOT!).  I was actually looking at getting a RS2, but I didn't really want to spend the money.

I've got a feeling I will be purchasing a RS1 or RS2 sometime later in the future though.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:18 AM Post #5 of 30

Quote:
What kind of music? What amp will you use with them? What kind of sound do you want?

I myself listen to all kinds of music, My sound card has a built in amp, Its good for now but i will be getting one later. The sound has to be great, I want to hear everything my music has to offer.

But this is not really about me, I want to know what is your favorite if you had to pick.
I will buy the one that gets the most votes but i don't want it to be deiced by what anyone thinks i like.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #6 of 30
For the price of an RS1i, I'd grab an HD650 with a proper amp/DAC like the Audio GD NFB12. Or if you plan to get an amp with a different budget later, the HD650 and the SR225i, which will net you an all around headphone, and a taste of the Grado sound.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 30
They sound rather different. The RS1 is all about in your face music. Great if you listen to a lot of fast paced music. The HD650 in comparison is more laid back and works best with slower music. You need to decide kind of sound you want since they have a rather opposing sound signature. Its not uncommon to see some people simply loving the RS1 and hating the HD650 altogether and vice versa.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 30

Quote:
Considering you can buy two new HD650's for the price of one new RS1, I went with the HD650 myself (comes today WOOT!).  I was actually looking at getting a RS2, but I didn't really want to spend the money.

I've got a feeling I will be purchasing a RS1 or RS2 sometime later in the future though.

Sounds like you don't have much faith in the 650.  

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #9 of 30

Quote:
I myself listen to all kinds of music, My sound card has a built in amp, Its good for now but i will be getting one later. The sound has to be great, I want to hear everything my music has to offer.

But this is not really about me, I want to know what is your favorite if you had to pick.
I will buy the one that gets the most votes but i don't want it to be deiced by what anyone thinks i like.

That's an absolutely terrible idea. Why do you say it's not about you when you'll be paying and you'll be listening long after we've all forgotten about this thread? What anyone else likes is irrelvant, and what suits you can't be decided by a popularity vote. If you can't get to hear these headphones at least decide by reviews (Amazon is a good place for that, if you want a wide spread of comments) and general postings here, especially those about the general character of the phones, taking into account the equipment and musical tastes of the poster. Not scientific, but a lot more scientific than counting votes here.

Feb 22, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #10 of 30
These are two very different headphones. I did own the HD650s (with the SAA Equinox aftermarket cable), but I STILL OWN my RS1is. If could only have 1 of these 2, it would be the Grados.
smile.gif

Feb 22, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 30
in the price point of view, should this thread be HD650 vs. RS2i?

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #12 of 30
Yin and Yang.

If you can only buy one and be committed to it, get the Senns. Although the Grados are the live-wires you may be looking for,
it's a case of be careful what you wish for, as the Grados can become fatiguing and then you are stuck.
You'll be able to live long-term with the 650s at least, even if they are not the last word in precision.

Full disclosure: I have RS1s, not RS1i's, so I might be wrong, but I think I'm right.

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 30
I had both and sold both.

The RS-1 was a lot of fun for a few years, but it's very colored and doesn't play well with every genre. I eventually got tired of the coloration and sold them.

The HD-650 is a little dark, but more tonally balanced. I enjoyed the HD-650 a lot, but they went when I got the HD-800 because I found the HD-800 better.

Feb 23, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #14 of 30
RS1i.

If indecisive, RS1i.

Doubts?  RS1i.

Then you enjoy your music.

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #15 of 30
I voted for the RS1 but the HD650 doesn't get enough credit.  Its design is simple and elegant.  It has more comfort and stability.  It has more soundstage and, for those who want less of an in-your-face experience, it provides a smoother ride.  On the other hand, the stock cable is pretty ugly, looking like something that ought to plug into a video game console.  One person's "refined presentation" is another's boredom, just as one person's sizzling treble is another person's ear fatigue.  It's unfair to compare one can amped to the other unamped, but the RS1 can be enjoyed unamped while the HD650 just isn't itself without a decent amp.  RS1 users rarely worry about upgrading their cable while the 650 seems to have inspired an entire cottage industry of aftermarket cables, each designed to "lift the veil" better than the others.  I've always wondered if some of this cableitis wasn't a roundabout attempt to overcome issues of impedance.  Just as the GS1000 doesn't sound its best without a warm amp, the 650 doesn't sound "clear" without its own kick in the amp.

Revolutionary driver or not, I think there are HD650 lovers who would argue that a souped-up 650 presents a relatively low-cost means of narrowing the gap between the HD650/600 and the famed HD800.  No doubt, this will inspire a flamefest from HD800 lovers who choke at the thought that the 650 could ever hold a candle to the $1,400 HD800.  Someday, when time and finances permit, it would be interesting to modify an HD650, to show how far it could go in bridging some of that gap.  Given the extreme differences in price tags, it may be worth a little effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back