Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Mar 30, 2015 at 8:20 AM Post #1,787 of 2,110
  I don't see a problem with it, but my ears don't touch the drivers so I don't have this issue. I'm not telling you to do theism but I removed the cloth from my 80i's when I put them in wooden cups (for aesthetic reasons only). I know the cloth protects the drivers from small debris but I alway keep my Grados drivers facing down when their not in use and never had an issue with anything getting inside my 80i drivers for 3+ years now.
I also have another solution…TAKE A SHOWER!!! 
size]

beerchug.gif

Hahaha. Good one.

Cheers!

Mar 30, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #1,788 of 2,110
Hello fellow Head-fier's!! I am finally going to be acquiring a new pair of RS1i's tomorrow!!!:smiley: I thought long and hard about getting the GS1000e model instead but ultimately decided on the RS1i for a couple reasons: 1) I love the warm mids that the RS1i have compared the "U" presentation of the GS1000e when compared side by side ( so I've read). 2) I can always buy a new GS1000e new but not a RS1i being that they are discontinued now. A local Grado Authorized Dealer had one NIB in stock @ 15% off so I just had to do it. I wish I had a tube amp to neutralize any lingering sibilance/shouty treble but all I own are SS amps; namely the CEntrance HiFiM8 XL4, Schiit Asgard 2, and the CypherLabs Picollo. We'll see how well they synergize with the RS1i soon enough. Can anyone give an amp recommendation that maintains detail while minimizing any sibilance or harsh treble? To be honest though, I am holding out for the WooAudio WA8 as I feel that it will best suit my portable needs as well as my SQ tastes.

Mar 30, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #1,789 of 2,110
Hello fellow Head-fier's!! I am finally going to be acquiring a new pair of RS1i's tomorrow!!!:smiley: I thought long and hard about getting the GS1000e model instead but ultimately decided on the RS1i for a couple reasons: 1) I love the warm mids that the RS1i have compared the "U" presentation of the GS1000e when compared side by side ( so I've read). 2) I can always buy a new GS1000e new but not a RS1i being that they are discontinued now. A local Grado Authorized Dealer had one NIB in stock @ 15% off so I just had to do it. I wish I had a tube amp to neutralize any lingering sibilance/shouty treble but all I own are SS amps; namely the CEntrance HiFiM8 XL4, Schiit Asgard 2, and the CypherLabs Picollo. We'll see how well they synergize with the RS1i soon enough. Can anyone give an amp recommendation that maintains detail while minimizing any sibilance or harsh treble? To be honest though, I am holding out for the WooAudio WA8 as I feel that it will best suit my portable needs as well as my SQ tastes.

Nice score, congratulations!
Love my WA6 with the RS-1i's…and you can roll tubes too your preference!

Mar 31, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #1,790 of 2,110

Welcome to the club.
Joseph's recommendation is sublime.. :)

I would like to thank Grado for making the RS1i as special as it is compared to the new e series.
I'll also say my HF2 is rather special too.

Thnx Grado x 2 :)

Mar 31, 2015 at 3:45 AM Post #1,791 of 2,110
Mar 31, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #1,792 of 2,110
Thank you @joseph69 and @XLR8 for your kind words and advice. Since becoming a audiophile "who loves to listen to his gear with music" :)relieved:); I have always been drawn to the magic that resides in the Grado house sound. I hope to be able to hear the WA6 one day soon w/ the RS1i. May I ask you guys what DAC/source you are pairing your WA6's with? I currently have the Meridian Explorer v1, a Peachtree Audio Dac-It-x ( Sabre Chip model 9023 I believe), and the HiFiM8 XL4 ( which I find to sound best with low level listening as my hand is constantly on the volume pot with the RS1i).

Mar 31, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #1,793 of 2,110
^^^ musicivr, I use the Peachtree DAC•ITx and it works nicely with my WA6/RS1i combo. It's also not very expensive, which is a good thing.

Mar 31, 2015 at 8:46 AM Post #1,794 of 2,110
Thank you @joseph69 and @XLR8 for your kind words and advice. Since becoming a audiophile "who loves to listen to his gear with music" :)relieved:); I have always been drawn to the magic that resides in the Grado house sound. I hope to be able to hear the WA6 one day soon w/ the RS1i. May I ask you guys what DAC/source you are pairing your WA6's with? I currently have the Meridian Explorer v1, a Peachtree Audio Dac-It-x ( Sabre Chip model 9023 I believe), and the HiFiM8 XL4 ( which I find to sound best with low level listening as my hand is constantly on the volume pot with the RS1i).

I have 2 DAC's for my main listening area…one is a Meridian-203 and the other is a Rega DAC.
I do like both very much, but they both have their pro's/con's, but I tend to listen with the Merdian more due too its mid-range focus/forwardness. And like @bpcans mentioned, a lot of people love the DAC-iTX. It comes down to a matter of preference for me (and you) as both of my DACs offer different sound-signatures.

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #1,795 of 2,110
 I wish I had a tube amp to neutralize any lingering sibilance/shouty treble but all I own are SS amps;
Can anyone give an amp recommendation that maintains detail while minimizing any sibilance or harsh treble? To be honest though, I am holding out for the WooAudio WA8 as I feel that it will best suit my portable needs as well as my SQ tastes.

For portability, minimizing sibilance and harsh treble, you might look into the Ray Samuels Audio amps.  I have the Intruder.  Wonderful sound with the RS1i.  great detail.  no harshness.  I know it isn't tube, but is a great amp.  I went balanced with this setup.  It gave a little bit more soundstage.  The RS1i has a very close presentation, and balancing it did widen the soundstage just a little bit. SR71 from RSA would be a good option as well.  It doesn't have the DAC that the Intruder has.

BTW.  I love tubes, so I'm not pushing SS.  I currently have Peachtree Audio Decco65 integrated amp which is SS with a Tube stage.  Also looking to get the Unison Research SH all tube headphone amp in a month or so.  Good luck finding info on that one though.  And Definitely not portable.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:57 AM Post #1,796 of 2,110
You've probably heard of the Little Dot 1-which is an inexpensive tube hybrid that has nice synergy with an RS1.

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #1,797 of 2,110
You've probably heard of the Little Dot 1-which is an inexpensive tube hybrid that has nice synergy with an RS1.

Yes I have markm1, thanks for the suggestion. I have also been curios to hear of impressions with the MAD Ear Hd. I guess I really never looked into buying a tube/valve based amp because most had a high noise floor or impedance making them not suitable for IEM use. The RS1i have me looking at these types of amps now and at my shrinking wallet. Now that I have a Grado RS1i on order I cannot wait to recieve it to squeeze out every last drop of musical bliss!!

Apr 1, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #1,798 of 2,110
Yes I have markm1, thanks for the suggestion. I have also been curios to hear of impressions with the MAD Ear Hd. I guess I really never looked into buying a tube/valve based amp because most had a high noise floor or impedance making them not suitable for IEM use. The RS1i have me looking at these types of amps now and at my shrinking wallet. Now that I have a Grado RS1i on order I cannot wait to recieve it to squeeze out every last drop of musical bliss!!

I own the Mad Ear Purist +HD. It's very good with the Grado RS1i but I'm not sure if it's worth that much more over the Little Dot. I've listened to the Grado RS1i with the Polaris and was very pleased with that amp. It's pretty much just subtle differences. I really liked the RS1i and wanted endgame so I took the opportunity when a second hand Mad Ear came available in Europe. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #1,799 of 2,110
I have a LD 1+   and i have a Mad Ear +HD......I have not listened to the LD since I got the Mad Ear   
smile.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #1,800 of 2,110
  I have a LD 1+   and i have a Mad Ear +HD......I have not listened to the LD since I got the Mad Ear   
smile.gif

Yes, I can understand that for sure

I had the same with the Polaris and Mad Ear. Mad Ear is better, but by how much? You can spend either (I'm going to guess the prices by memory) 200$ for the LD1 or 800$ for the Mad Ear. The latter is better, but is it worth the extra 600$? That's the question here and I don't know an answer too it.

For me I want to experience it for myself so I NEED to try the Mad Ear, but was it really worth the extra $$$? Probably not. But hey, screw it. It's a one time expensive and I do enjoy it. Very much so. Same goes for the Raytheon Windmill getter and Sylvana Triple Black Mica tubes. Is it worth the money? I guess not, but I don't have to wonder how I can get the best SQ out of the Grado RS1i anymore and that alone is worth a lot to me, because I'm a wonderer. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back