Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Jun 13, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #1,156 of 2,110
Playing with the G Cush and comparing with the regular L  Cush.  listening to Swans To Be Kind. Comfortable, yes, maybe a bit more soundstage, but I don't like the loss in detail. Back to L Cush.
I personally like using the g-cushions on my RS1's. My MBP has a serviceable equaliser built into its playback software, so when using the g-cushions I just manually dial in the EQ I want. When using the l-cushions I mostly just leave the EQ set to "jazz". But that's just me.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #1,157 of 2,110

Grado just announced a complete overhaul of their headphone lineup - the 'e' series!

Little is known about the changes, although it seems they've been selling 'e' models over the last few months but still referring to them by their old names. Anyone who has bought a recent Grado with a red driver, actually has the latest 'e' version.

In fact someone posted pictures of what is presumably an RS1e a page or two ago in this very thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/444439/grado-rs1i-appreciation-thread/1080#post_10587238

The biggest changes seem to be that the driver is seated a few mm further forward, and the pads a little shallower. I'd expect this to make the sound warmer & bassier (possibly at the expense of a little soundstage?)

No idea when they will be released to the UK market, but I think they can be bought (or pre-ordered) now in the USA.

Thanks for the response.

Interesting.

They will probably be around £1700 in the UK then, knowing our luck

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:32 AM Post #1,158 of 2,110

How was their reply laughable? They did replace it, I hope?

Ok. I sent back my third pair today to my Uk dealer because the thread on the headband had started to come away.

The story goes:
I got a pair, the thread was a mess, and the print looked garbage, so I sent them back. Got another pair and the print was even worse. Got my money back fro John Lewis

Went straight to the dealer this time (armour electronics) instead of John Lewis, and the ones they sent were ok, but again this time the thread went on the headband.

I'm in talks with the dealer now to get another pair, even though they are intending to pull the entire order.

One of the warehouse staff went and checked the boxes before they sent me the third pair and put one to the side because it  was ''very dirty''. So At least I know I'm not going crazy.

I sent a lengthy email to Grado explaining to situation before i received the third pair, and asked if I could buy straight from them.

This is the response:

Hi Lee

thank you for your email

Please understand that what you are looking in hopes of a certain finish may not exist.
Please understand that our products are made by hand and there will be differences in the finish.

So I responded with:

Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm afraid I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one.

I've just received another pair of ps500 and the print on the cup is pretty much perfect.

I completely understand that the majority of the headphone is handmade (a look I am a fan of), but this part of the headphone is clearly done by machine, and on this occasion there are few in a batch that weren't given a good finish at all. And as stated in my previous email some of the letters had been pressed in more than others, giving a very abnormal, dark look to them.

100% of the pictures I have seen online don't look like that.

Anyway,

Thank you for the hard work you put in. I have tried many high-end headphones, and these are by far my favourites - and I hope to purchase the RS1I's next.

They never replied.

I've read countless stories about them having bad customer service, but I didn't expect such a short, generic, impersonal response like that. And then to be ignored really wound me up.

These cost A LOT of money in the UK.
mad.gif

I'm still determined to get a good pair of ps500's - I think they're amazing.

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #1,160 of 2,110

Ok. I sent back my third pair today to my Uk dealer because the thread on the headband had started to come away.

The story goes:
I got a pair, the thread was a mess, and the print looked garbage, so I sent them back. Got another pair and the print was even worse. Got my money back fro John Lewis

Went straight to the dealer this time (armour electronics) instead of John Lewis, and the ones they sent were ok, but again this time the thread went on the headband.

I'm in talks with the dealer now to get another pair, even though they are intending to pull the entire order.

One of the warehouse staff went and checked the boxes before they sent me the third pair and put one to the side because it  was ''very dirty''. So At least I know I'm not going crazy.

I sent a lengthy email to Grado explaining to situation before i received the third pair, and asked if I could buy straight from them.

This is the response:

Hi Lee

thank you for your email

Please understand that what you are looking in hopes of a certain finish may not exist.
Please understand that our products are made by hand and there will be differences in the finish.

So I responded with:

I've just received another pair of ps500 and the print on the cup is pretty much perfect.

I completely understand that the majority of the headphone is handmade (a look I am a fan of), but this part of the headphone is clearly done by machine, and on this occasion there are few in a batch that weren't given a good finish at all. And as stated in my previous email some of the letters had been pressed in more than others, giving a very abnormal, dark look to them.

Anyway,

Thank you for the hard work you put in. I have tried many high-end headphones, and these are by far my favourites - and I hope to purchase the RS1I's next.

They never replied.

I've read countless stories about them having bad customer service, but I didn't expect such a short, generic, impersonal response like that. And then to be ignored really wound me up.

mad.gif

Wow, sounds like you've had a run of bad luck there
frown.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #1,161 of 2,110

Wow, sounds like you've had a run of bad luck there
frown.gif

Yeah just a bit lol, but I will own a pair soon!

I've gotten into a routine now of spending one more night with them before I send them back. Normally with a film or a nice love song. Which is always very difficult for the both of us.

I look right into their metal grills and say - goodbye baby, I will see you again......... But not in this lifetime. Then I wrap them up and ship them off the next day.

frown.gif

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #1,162 of 2,110

The story goes:

This is the response:

Hi Lee

thank you for your email

So I responded with:

Anyway,

They never replied.

mad.gif

i i've had several interactions with grao's customer service, and all of them were good.
i had researched enough to know, that due to the way they are built, they can have slight imperections.
the rs1i i just sold, had some paint missing from the black metal grill on both cups. no big deal to me,
in fact, it kinda lends to a little extra character to them. as long as they sound great,and are not going to fall apart, i really don't care
how they look. as for the short response from customer service, at least they are honest , not trying to be argumentative
just stating my opinion,

and do get some ps500's they are amazing

Jun 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #1,163 of 2,110

Yeah just a bit lol, but I will own a pair soon!

I've gotten into a routine now of spending one more night with them before I send them back. Normally with a film or a nice love song. Which is always very difficult for the both of us.

I look right into their metal grills and say - goodbye baby, I will see you again......... But not in this lifetime. Then I wrap them up and ship them off the next day.

frown.gif

biggrin.gif

That made me actually laugh out loud !!

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #1,164 of 2,110

i i've had several interactions with grao's customer service, and all of them were good.
i had researched enough to know, that due to the way they are built, they can have slight imperections.
the rs1i i just sold, had some paint missing from the black metal grill on both cups. no big deal to me,
in fact, it kinda lends to a little extra character to them. as long as they sound great,and are not going to fall apart, i really don't care
how they look. as for the short response from customer service, at least they are honest , not trying to be argumentative
just stating my opinion,

and do get some ps500's they are amazing

Hi Mate.

I completely understand what you're saying. Honestly.

I own the rs2i's and they have loads of little niggly imperfections which don't bother me at all. I actually like them. This however was a clear ''**** up'' in the machine printing (or whatever the process is).

Some of the letters looked like they had black marker around them. I'm not sure if you're from the UK but these cost me 600 quid, so something like that really didn't sit well with me.

The headband thread coming off is also not adding character to headphones. One/two months in and the headband will start to come off.

And I have heard some good reviews about their customer service, but with my experience it wasn't something I would consider acceptable - and I consider myself a very reasonable guy.

That being said, I will get the ps500's, and I will RS1i's in the next month or so. And If I can trial the RS1e's - I will more than likely get them as well.

I really really enjoy their headphones - so I'm happy to support them in what they do. I just think I deserved a bit more of an understanding response.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #1,166 of 2,110

Hi Mate.

I completely understand what you're saying. Honestly.

I own the rs2i's and they have loads of little niggly imperfections which don't bother me at all. I actually like them. This however was a clear ''**** up'' in the machine printing (or whatever the process is).

Some of the letters looked like they had black marker around them. I'm not sure if you're from the UK but these cost me 600 quid, so something like that really didn't sit well with me.

The headband thread coming off is also not adding character to headphones. One/two months in and the headband will start to come off.

And I have heard some good reviews about their customer service, but with my experience it wasn't something I would consider acceptable. And I'd consider myself a very reasonable guy.

That being said, I will get the ps500's, and I will RS1i's in the next month or so. And If I can trial the RS1e's - I will more than likely get them as well.

I really really enjoy their headphones - so I'm happy to support them in what they do. I just think I deserved a bit more of an understanding response.

yeah, i wouldn't like the headband coming apart ,
and yeah, more more "apologetic" response would have been better customer service
i'm in the US

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #1,167 of 2,110
Hi lads,

Can someone give me a brief description on how the RS1I's sound with classical piano, violin etc? I'm reading different things.

So close to getting these now, as I've just noticed the Grado account on the UK ebay has reduced them by £200! (it's about bloody time we were offered a beter price in the uk)

Cheers.

Oh and I recently got in touch with Grado via email about one of their products I bought having inconsistent printing on the cup, so I had to send them back.

Their reply was laughable.
There a lot of reviews of the RS1i's on head-fi and also on the interweb that you can read. They've been an industry standard for awhile now. With the RS1i's the 88 key Steinway sounds like your standing next to it, and the strings and woodwinds are represented very accurately. On the intro to The Rolling Stones song "Beast of Burden" Keith Richards guitar just sings thru the RS1's. They're great hp's and for me they make listening to music fun.

Jun 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #1,168 of 2,110
There a lot of reviews of the RS1i's on head-fi and also on the interweb that you can read. They've been an industry standard for awhile now. With the RS1i's the 88 key Steinway sounds like your standing next to it, and the strings and woodwinds are represented very accurately. On the intro to The Rolling Stones song "Beast of Burden" Keith Richards guitar just sings thru the RS1's

Yes I've been looking - it's just that I keep seeing conflicting opinions (which I should expect I suppose).

Awesome.

Thanks for the reply mate.

Jun 13, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #1,169 of 2,110
Yes I've been looking - it's just that I keep seeing conflicting opinions (which I should expect I suppose).

Awesome.

Thanks for the reply mate.
If you ever get a chance to demo the RS1i's listen to the Average White Bands "Soul & The City" album - Recorded Live at B.B. Kings. You will be convinced!

Jun 20, 2014 at 7:50 PM Post #1,170 of 2,110
So I'm on my way back to the RS1, this time with the new RS1e from 4OurEars.com.  My first go around with these headphones was with the RS1i that I purchased form Crutchfield and kept them for the full 60 days and ultimately decided I liked the PS500 better and returned them.  

But now I don't need to decide between the two and will be keeping the RS1 no matter what, but I'm just wondering if I was amping them wrong by using a solid state amp instead of a tube amp that most people seem to be using with them.

I have the Schiit Vali now that I purchased to get a taste of tube amps, but I think I will be buying the Lyr2 or the WA6 to go with the RS1 this time.  Is this what most of you would suggest while using these headphones, or is there something else I'm missing; by the way the WA6 is the most I would be willing to spend on an amp.

(FYI) My impressions with the RS1i with my Asgard 2 was that it was very detailed with a nice sound stage and imaging but seemed sort of thin and light with the bass.  Anyways I liked it but at the time I could only afford to buy one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back