Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Feb 23, 2010 at 1:40 AM Post #46 of 2,110
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. The serial # is etched inside the L and R blocks as well as written on the bottom of the cups under the pads.

Darn, I was hoping I got a special pair.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Being a former RS1 owner and current RS1i owner, it does seem that the mid bass bloat is not as prominent with the "i" version. But both are simply amazing for rock and jazz!

Oh definitely. And other stuff too...I'm listening to "Killing In The Name" right now, and it's definitely rocking it hard with authority.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #47 of 2,110
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I finally got the RS-1i! With flat pads (the bowls were a bit too bright for me), these are great headphones. Finally, there's some weight in the low-end and control in the mids and some of the highs.

Perhaps the time with the Monster Turbine Pro Golds helped me with my disgust of mid-bass bloat, or there simply is very little of it to begin with here.
tongue.gif

And although the seller failed to disclose a few odd cosmetic laws with the headphones, in a way I'm glad it turned out like this. If I got a perfect pair of RS-1i, I would forever be obsessive about keeping it in perfect condition.
redface.gif

EDIT: Has anybody else noticed on their RS-1i that the serial number is lightly scratched in the inside of the "L" and "R" blocks?

Another flat pad fan! You have excellent taste. The "1i" version absolutely has better bass control.

Mar 3, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #48 of 2,110
i haven't been on the forum for months, and it's nice to see that more people have been enjoying these killer cans.

I just spent 2 months listening to mostly Satchmo and Duke Ellington on them, and then on to a LOT of Bartok, and wound my way back to rock with the Beatles MONO BOX.

I have not for even one second missed my other headphones - past or present. the RS1's with flat pads (the way God intended) sound fantastic for everything i throw at them.

i gotta go play magical mystery tour again.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #49 of 2,110
Just received my RS1i's today. Amazing. These are my first high-end headphones and I know that they need to break in, plus I'm listening through them through a D10 while I wait for my MAD Ear+ HD to arrive...but despite all of that...amazing.

Very happy with them.

Mar 18, 2010 at 8:44 AM Post #50 of 2,110
I agree totally. I bought a pair a couple of weeks ago, and I think they're fabulous, other than the small soundstage that becomes nonexistent with the much more comfortable flat pads.

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:19 AM Post #51 of 2,110
Quote:

Originally Posted by auradud3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
source? anything. you just need a good amp/dac, even the smaller variety is great on grados they dont need much oomph to drive them to splendor, even straight out of your comp they show their tendency towards magic. i use the headroom ultra desktop amp straight out of my macbook pro, i did upgrade the cables to cardas big reds, and the kimber usb, a huge difference here as well. and the combo is just.......... words have no value here.

it seems we have twin setups, and i cant say enough, how much i enjoy my music now, i have been the senn, denon, sony, beyer, many many detours, but grado always brings me home, too bad we are always looking for something better, we could save alot of money and just stay with the best from the beginning

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #52 of 2,110
Quote:

Originally Posted by jasont /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my RS1i's today. Amazing. These are my first high-end headphones and I know that they need to break in, plus I'm listening through them through a D10 while I wait for my MAD Ear+ HD to arrive...but despite all of that...amazing.

Very happy with them.

Congrats
biggrin.gif
I have the MAD Ear+ HD but have Grado HF-2's, not RS-1i's
tongue.gif
I really, really need to get a wooden Grado like a RS1 Vintage or RS1i some time. Still saving for a new DAC and SS amp though
frown.gif
I will have the opportunity to listen to a pair of RS-2s at the Melbourne meet this Saturday though
biggrin.gif
May not be RS1's, but are at least woody Grado's hehe.

Mar 18, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #53 of 2,110
Quote:

Very happy with them.

Congrats. The RS1/i is a very special headphone. I happen to quite enjoy buying, trying, and selling various different phones - but I honestly don't think I could part with my RS1i.

Mar 18, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #54 of 2,110
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats. The RS1/i is a very special headphone. I happen to quite enjoy buying, trying, and selling various different phones - but I honestly don't think I could part with my RS1i.

I couldn't agree more!

Mar 18, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #55 of 2,110
I'm new to the whole higher-end audio thing. And as I said, the RS1is sound great to me so far through the D10. I assume I'll hear a noticeable improvement once my MAD Ear+ arrives (long wait). At least I hope to. That would suck if I couldn't hear a difference
wink.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #56 of 2,110
Quote:

I'm new to the whole higher-end audio thing. And as I said, the RS1is sound great to me so far through the D10. I assume I'll hear a noticeable improvement once my MAD Ear+ arrives (long wait). At least I hope to. That would suck if I couldn't hear a difference
wink.gif

No need to worry...the MAD Ear+HD is the best amp I've ever heard with the RS1/RS1i
biggrin.gif

It should be a great step up from the D10.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:41 PM Post #59 of 2,110
I thought I might try to keep this thread afloat.  I recently picked up a set of RS1i's.  The pair has revitalized my headphone listening (which became non-existent after upgrading my speakers).  I am coming from using the Ultrasone 780's and wow, not bad of an upgrade. 

I no longer have to drive away the girlfriend and garner complaints throughout my condo complex with my speakers blaring a lil' Rage Against the Machine at late hours.  I can now get great sound with these wooden classics. 

I still wonder how they compare to the flagships.  I might have to pick up a T1 or HD800 (was close to auditioning the PS1K) to see how high this high-end headphone bar goes. 

However, right now I am feeling pretty good about my purchase.

Jun 7, 2010 at 11:51 PM Post #60 of 2,110
Glad you're enjoying them :) I've still got to try the RS-1s and compare them with my MS-Pros someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back