Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Jun 26, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #451 of 2,110
It has come as a great surprise to me but I am now an rs1i owner.  I'm usually an IEM guy and have been settled on Shure 535 for a few years now, sourced from an iPhone 4 via a Fiio E7.  It's a combination that has worked well for me for a long time and many hours of flying time.  I have been working at a clients site in the US for about a month now and wearing the 535 for 8 hours at a time every day was giving me sore ears not to mention major frights when someone came up behind me to ask me something, you just can't hear them coming with the 535 in.  What is a major benefit on flights is a major draw back in an office.  I decided I would get some over the ear phones to make putting them on and off easier and open back so that i can hear people when they start talking to me.

Being in the land of the free and Grado's I thought I would give them a try.  I did the research and decided that I would go all out and try the PS1000.  This morning I went to a local Grado stockist in Ann Arbour and found out that PS1000 are not to be found lying around in every store.  They did have PS500 and said they are probably 70 to 80% of the sound quality of the 1000 so I settled in for an hour and listened to them.  I had my just upgraded iPhone 5 with Fostex HP-1P as a source.  Well I was really disappointed I really didn't like the sound from the PS500.  It was bright almost to the point of pain.  The bass was pretty muddy and over powering.  When compared to my Shure's the coloration was very marked and not for the better.  On classical tracks the strings were jarring and vocals lost all traces of mellowness.  I tried a wide range of music but just couldn't bring myself to like them.  I thought perhaps this was the 'Grado sound' that I had read so much about, if it was it just wasn't for me.  After chatting with the store owner I decided I would still give the 1000 a chance as it is reviewed as having a more natural sound.  I asked if there were any other stores in the area and I was directed to speak to Harry at Audio Dimensions in Royal Oak.  As it was on my way home I just called in.  He had a good stock of Grado phones but alas still no PS1000.  He did have a set of rs1i on demo and suggested I give them a try.  Wow chalk and cheese!!!  These were wonderfully mellow.  I sat listening to track after track from my test playlist then switched to shuffle and up popped Duffy singing Syrup and Honey, boy a better description of that vocal can't be found.  I just couldn't believe the difference of the rs1i with the PS500 so I tried another pair of PS500 along side the rs1i and that absolutely convinced me that the rs1i were the phones for me.  Harry was a real gent and I listened to some amazing speakers while I was there as well but they were just way too big for the hand baggage on the way home.

I'm now ensconsed at my desk working happily away with wonderful mellow sounds permeating my brain.  I currently have them running from the Fiio, running as a DAC/AMP from my macbook, and they sound as rich as with the Fostex from the iPhone.  These phones are going to be my listening staple from now on.  I'm tempted to get a fireflys valve DAC/AMP to team up with the desktop computer in my office and keep the Fiio paired with the laptop for travel and the Fostex/iPhone for longer for on site visits.  The Shure's will be staying in my pocket for flights and impromptue listening and I will try some PS1000 at some point, just to satisfy my curiosity, but right now I am a very surprised but very happy owner of the Grado RS1i

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #452 of 2,110
Quote:

Thanks DG..
I think is worth owning it. Even though my ears already much seasoned with the T1 and Hd800, but this rocker still withdraw my attention to listen. Very impressive sounding IMO.
The wood cup has a more softer color compared to the previous released i think, which is darker. But still...they looks really awesome, don't they 
biggrin.gif

yes the grados where my rockers as well. i really miss them sometimes, they really made alot of the older recordings come to life.

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #453 of 2,110
I got the Woo Firefly today and it sounds wonderful with the PS1000. Still waiting for the RS-1 I ordered to arrive.  The whole setup looks good sitting on the desk.  Can't wait to compare the RS-1.

Jun 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #454 of 2,110
It has come as a great surprise to me but I am now an rs1i owner.  I'm usually an IEM guy and have been settled on Shure 535 for a few years now, sourced from an iPhone 4 via a Fiio E7.  It's a combination that has worked well for me for a long time and many hours of flying time.  I have been working at a clients site in the US for about a month now and wearing the 535 for 8 hours at a time every day was giving me sore ears not to mention major frights when someone came up behind me to ask me something, you just can't hear them coming with the 535 in.  What is a major benefit on flights is a major draw back in an office.  I decided I would get some over the ear phones to make putting them on and off easier and open back so that i can hear people when they start talking to me.

Being in the land of the free and Grado's I thought I would give them a try.  I did the research and decided that I would go all out and try the PS1000.  This morning I went to a local Grado stockist in Ann Arbour and found out that PS1000 are not to be found lying around in every store.  They did have PS500 and said they are probably 70 to 80% of the sound quality of the 1000 so I settled in for an hour and listened to them.  I had my just upgraded iPhone 5 with Fostex HP-1P as a source.  Well I was really disappointed I really didn't like the sound from the PS500.  It was bright almost to the point of pain.  The bass was pretty muddy and over powering.  When compared to my Shure's the coloration was very marked and not for the better.  On classical tracks the strings were jarring and vocals lost all traces of mellowness.  I tried a wide range of music but just couldn't bring myself to like them.  I thought perhaps this was the 'Grado sound' that I had read so much about, if it was it just wasn't for me.  After chatting with the store owner I decided I would still give the 1000 a chance as it is reviewed as having a more natural sound.  I asked if there were any other stores in the area and I was directed to speak to Harry at Audio Dimensions in Royal Oak.  As it was on my way home I just called in.  He had a good stock of Grado phones but alas still no PS1000.  He did have a set of rs1i on demo and suggested I give them a try.  Wow chalk and cheese!!!  These were wonderfully mellow.  I sat listening to track after track from my test playlist then switched to shuffle and up popped Duffy singing Syrup and Honey, boy a better description of that vocal can't be found.  I just couldn't believe the difference of the rs1i with the PS500 so I tried another pair of PS500 along side the rs1i and that absolutely convinced me that the rs1i were the phones for me.  Harry was a real gent and I listened to some amazing speakers while I was there as well but they were just way too big for the hand baggage on the way home.

I'm now ensconsed at my desk working happily away with wonderful mellow sounds permeating my brain.  I currently have them running from the Fiio, running as a DAC/AMP from my macbook, and they sound as rich as with the Fostex from the iPhone.  These phones are going to be my listening staple from now on.  I'm tempted to get a fireflys valve DAC/AMP to team up with the desktop computer in my office and keep the Fiio paired with the laptop for travel and the Fostex/iPhone for longer for on site visits.  The Shure's will be staying in my pocket for flights and impromptue listening and I will try some PS1000 at some point, just to satisfy my curiosity, but right now I am a very surprised but very happy owner of the Grado RS1i

Actually the PS500s are about 115% of the PS1000s IME. Their bass goes lower, the treble is far more natural and slap the bowl pads on them and you get better imaging. Head on over to inner fidelity.com and check out how the PS500's measure better as well.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #455 of 2,110
Quote:

If you get a chance, listen to the PS1000, i'm glad i did, in the meantime, enjoy your new RS1i.

Jun 28, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #459 of 2,110
Hello Grado people!

I'm a new member here and also have a pair of Rs1is.
I'm considering selling my Beyer T1s but would never get rid of my Grados.

Perhaps not the most versatile headphones but when they're right they're extra special.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #460 of 2,110
Hello Grado people!

I'm a new member here and also have a pair of Rs1is.
I'm considering selling my Beyer T1s but would never get rid of my Grados.

Perhaps not the most versatile headphones but when they're right they're extra special.

If i would let go one of them...i will keep the T1 for sure...but then comes back to personal preference i guess. But i did compare like ab-ing them between bigboys like hd800/t1/3000anv vs Rs1i...yes the rs1 has a beautiful unique "fun" sound signature which somehow addicted. But i found for the overall sound quality and performance, i still prefer those bigboys i mentioned. The sound image, soundstage, details and texture resolution i think the T1 is the winner IMO. However...the RS1i does perform quite fun airy sounding which i like as my complementary phone in my collection.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #461 of 2,110
Yes I agree with you.
If I sell my T1 it will be replaced with another "bigboy"

I'm just not sure I've found the right bigboys yet.
I think I need better amplification to be sure.

Still my grados are keepers.
I also have some Senn HD650s which I will also keep.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #462 of 2,110
Yes I agree with you.
If I sell my T1 it will be replaced with another "bigboy"

I'm just not sure I've found the right bigboys yet.
I think I need better amplification to be sure.

Still my grados are keepers.
I also have some Senn HD650s which I will also keep.

Yes...same with you...i also think hd650 and Rs1 both they are worth a keeper IMO :wink:

Jun 28, 2013 at 11:49 PM Post #465 of 2,110
Quote:
If I keep my RS1i and sell my T1 for a HiFiMan HE-6 does that make me a bad guy?

nope lol. 

i'm looking at re-buying a grado (either rs1i again or a ps1000), and upgrading to an HE-6 myself, but i would never sell the T1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back