Grado RS1i Impressions thread
Mar 28, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #391 of 2,110
Quote:
Welcome home little one, I've been expecting you...

Side by side with Rs2

Square posts

Ear pads have slits like the Flat pads

Side by side with the Rs1i

I bought them from the original owner which bought them back in 2004. No serial number, square posts, circular notch on the metal part where the cable rests. Heck even the ear pads were original!...which of course were already flaking apart and stuck to the wood. I spent the next 30-60 minutes meticulously taking them off(covered the drivers and the back of the headphones with painters tape while doing this) and then treating the leather headband and then the wood with the wax mentioned above. These pictures were taking before I did all of this...woops!

Wow! great phones! 

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #393 of 2,110
Quote:
Do many of you guys(and gals) use the TTVJ Flats with your Rs1's? I need to try them out for myself. BTW, the Rs2 would still be my go to can as of right now.

yeah

ive had them on a pair of RS1i's i used to have (they looked just like the rs1 with buttons in that other guys picture, but the old ones failed and i had the drivers replaced with rs1i). 

the short time i had the rs1 drivers, the TTVJ helped them alot cause it made the sound warmer, but also made the mids shouty and too aggressive. the bowls where bright and unlistenable to me.

on my rs1i, the TTVJ flats simply made the midbass really strong and made the sound warmer with less treble, it was fun, but lacked the soundstage and detail and air from the regular grado bowls. its fun for listening to pop and heavier genres on the RS1i. i enjoyed both  quite a bit.

Mar 29, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #394 of 2,110
I'm finding that also. there's something in the highs that's rubbing me the wrong way, so I thought the Flats would help with that. I'm using them at work right now with a Hisound Rocoo BA + RSA Predator amp and it's help mellow that down to were it's not bothering me at all anymore vs the Dacport which sounds great except for that very annoying peak or whatever it is.

Mar 29, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #395 of 2,110
Great pics wormsdriver.......congrats on your purchase.

I am going to pic up some flats and a set of G-Cushions for my RS1i......just so I will be able to change things up a bit.

I adore the RS1i with the original bowl pads.....quickly sold my 325i after listening to my RS1i for a week, and I loved my 325i

I am currently thinking about getting a little Dot I+ amp, just for a listening station in the living room....anyone using this with an RS1i or have any recommendations...spending no more than $200.

Again, thanks for the nice pictures and enjoy.

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:11 AM Post #396 of 2,110
^ sounds good, grados don't need much amping to sound great. 

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #397 of 2,110
Quote:
ive heard several rs2 on different occasions, for some reason, i found them extremely harsh, almost unlistenable, but i really liked my 325 and loved my rs1i, though the rs2 are supposed to have a similar sound to the rs1, but i didnt find that to be the case. weird huh?

Exactly the reason I sold my RS2i, they are so harsh. There are some who cannot stand the Grado brightness but it is really the harshness that didn't do it for me, and the harshness is not only with the treble but extend to the midrange as well.

Quote:
rs1i has very smooth highs, anything but sharp. i don't think you would have a problem with them unless you have a very bright/aggressive sounding setup.

Funny how having a larger chamber and metal grill - versus the RS2i, would smooth out the RS1i highs so much.

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #398 of 2,110
Quote:
Great pics wormsdriver.......congrats on your purchase.

I am going to pic up some flats and a set of G-Cushions for my RS1i......just so I will be able to change things up a bit.

I adore the RS1i with the original bowl pads.....quickly sold my 325i after listening to my RS1i for a week, and I loved my 325i

I am currently thinking about getting a little Dot I+ amp, just for a listening station in the living room....anyone using this with an RS1i or have any recommendations...spending no more than $200.

Again, thanks for the nice pictures and enjoy.

Thanks!
I just ordered some TTVJ Flats last night. I suspect I'll still prefer the L-cush to the Flats, but it was time to try the Flats anyways.
I bought an old Musical Fidelity X-Cans(tube amp) for less than $150 USD and it does a great job with Grados!

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #399 of 2,110
These Rs1's and Rs1i's remind me of the Sennheiser HD600 and HD650. They are both great headphones, but the older Rs1 with buttons seems a little veiled compared to the Rs1i. It (RS1)sounds smoother, but the Rs1i sounds more open, and clearer.
Of course, this is only if your comparing them side by side, otherwise they're both Grado Rs1's and they both kick a**!
I was leaning towards the Rs1i earlier, but now more towards Rs1. I'll have to make a decision soon!
size]

Apr 1, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #400 of 2,110
Quote:
ive had them on a pair of RS1i's i used to have (they looked just like the rs1 with buttons in that other guys picture, but the old ones failed and i had the drivers replaced with rs1i). 

when Grado replaced your drivers, did you get back your same Rs1? same wood chambers with buttons? same thin cable or the newer thicker cable? My main curiosity really is whether they "liberate" the drivers carefully to re-use the wood chamber or if they just throw in some new ones?

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #401 of 2,110
Quote:
Thanks!
I just ordered some TTVJ Flats last night. I suspect I'll still prefer the L-cush to the Flats, but it was time to try the Flats anyways.
I bought an old Musical Fidelity X-Cans(tube amp) for less than $150 USD and it does a great job with Grados!

Congrats on the X-Can, i have had my X-Can V2 for over 10 years now, and it sounds just as good today, as it did when it was new. And i too, think it's a great match for most Grado headphones.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #402 of 2,110
Hello all,

I got my RS1 last week.  They are not even broken in.  The oem wires are driving me crazy.  How do you guys stand it?  I have search all over for someone to switch them out but can seem to find anyone.  Rewiring is easy enough for my but I cant separate the cans from the drivers.  Any ideas?

thanks,

jason

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #404 of 2,110
Quote:
Hello all,
I got my RS1 last week.  They are not even broken in.  The oem wires are driving me crazy.  How do you guys stand it?  I have search all over for someone to switch them out but can seem to find anyone.  Rewiring is easy enough for my but I cant separate the cans from the drivers.  Any ideas?
thanks,
jason

whatever you do, please don't commit this atrocity to your Rs1i's

Quote:
What exactly is driving you crazy? Grado wires are generally among the best in the biz...
size]

+1
is it the length? or I'm assuming the weight maybe? ....
I think Grado might do this. You could buy your own cable and send it in along with your Rs1i. Contact Grado, you never know...

Apr 7, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #405 of 2,110
The length was kind of short for me, but just grab the extension cable if your did not come with one.

Unless, of course...your issue is not with the length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back