Grado rs-1 vs. Grado rs-1i
Apr 30, 2009 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Carlsan

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently saw a thread here showing off the physical changes in the Grado RS-1 line. It got me wondering if the sound has changed as well, and if so in what way.
I recently found a couple of used Grado rs-1's, one just a few months old, the "i" version, and the other about four or five years old.

Given the choice, if you are somewhat familiar with each, which would you go for and why?

May 1, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 11
Anyone?

May 2, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 11
This would be very useful. I've been eye-ing the RS-1 but having heard that the vintage version sounds better than the non-vintage version, waiting for a (hopefully) standardized version in the form of RS-1i will be better in the long run.

May 2, 2009 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 11
I've heard the vintage S and "i" on my system recently.

Vintage S sound richer and more transparent with better detail and wider soundstage. Bass is also deeper. Somehow there's more emotion and texture like a old Stradivarius violin. Kind of magical warmness that I can't put in words.

"i" is surprisingly slightly warmer but has little tint of brightness in high. Sound great to me too. It's yet to burn in so unfair to compare one that's has aged gracefully.

May 2, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #6 of 11
According to Grado they are "improved" but of course they will have the same house sound. The cable is upgraded, was it not? That might be better for sound quality.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 3, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard the vintage S and "i" on my system recently.

Vintage S sound richer and more transparent with better detail and wider soundstage. Bass is also deeper. Somehow there's more emotion and texture like a old Stradivarius violin. Kind of magical warmness that I can't put in words.

"i" is surprisingly slightly warmer but has little tint of brightness in high. Sound great to me too. It's yet to burn in so unfair to compare one that's has aged gracefully.

I hope things improve with burn-in as the RS-1i is looking to be my next set of cans. I hope it can at least match the vintage version.
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2009 at 11:27 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thought I doubt it'll be close to vintage in timbre and soundstage, the RS1i is still an excellent cans.

This is the same old story from owners of vintage audio equipment. It's interesting that for audio equipment development progress decreases in relation to time. Maybe we can get some time on the Hubble to look back into the early universe and see some of the best audio equipment ever made
tongue.gif

...at least here on Earth we can be sure that Edison's cylinder-based phonograph is the best sounding piece of audio equipment ever made.

May 3, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #11 of 11
I know there is a bit of joking, but just to make sure we're all on the same page, I assume vintage != RS1 as it's used here? It would be great if the new RS1i overall beat the vintage RS1, but lets just make sure it beats the recent production RS1 first.

And of course the Alessandro Music Series Pro comes into play too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back