Grado Recommendations!
Jul 17, 2020 at 4:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gamingmusiclove

100+ Head-Fier
Hello friends :beerchug:
I've been out of the audiophile business for a very long time, but recently I got myself a Hiby R3 pro and some KZ AS10 and, while the hiby hasn't arrived yet, the KZ made me want to get back in this vice. Now, I used to own the Grado Sr225e, but some assholes stole it from me. Now, if there's one thing in life i truly miss is that sweet Grado sound signature.
Let me be more specific about the qualities that i absolutely loved about my grados, altho it's already been 2 years since the incident so i don't remember that well
- Rock music had never sounded better. The way the sr225e made guitars sound is unbeatable.
- Singers! I really loved how sometimes listening to certain pop artists was an absolute delight.
-Soundstage was another great feature, with this whole close and personal sound, akin to being in a studio or first row in a bar (granted the accoustics are good enough)

With all this said, i think i want to buy another pair of grado headphones. This time, however, I want to go a bit higher and either get the ps500e or the RS2e. I have no clue which would be better, but just some stuff I'd like to keep in mind
-i can be a bit treble sensitive sometimes, which is why i decided not to get the sr325e
-Besides the R3 pro, I have a Fiio A5 to power them up
-i appreciate detail the most
-i want amazing mid-range, but I also want incredible detail
-My other headphones are the DT770, keep that in mind so that you advice me on which compliment them better

Jul 17, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #2 of 13
Hello friends :beerchug:
I've been out of the audiophile business for a very long time, but recently I got myself a Hiby R3 pro and some KZ AS10 and, while the hiby hasn't arrived yet, the KZ made me want to get back in this vice. Now, I used to own the Grado Sr225e, but some assholes stole it from me. Now, if there's one thing in life i truly miss is that sweet Grado sound signature.
Let me be more specific about the qualities that i absolutely loved about my grados, altho it's already been 2 years since the incident so i don't remember that well
- Rock music had never sounded better. The way the sr225e made guitars sound is unbeatable.
- Singers! I really loved how sometimes listening to certain pop artists was an absolute delight.
-Soundstage was another great feature, with this whole close and personal sound, akin to being in a studio or first row in a bar (granted the accoustics are good enough)

With all this said, i think i want to buy another pair of grado headphones. This time, however, I want to go a bit higher and either get the ps500e or the RS2e. I have no clue which would be better, but just some stuff I'd like to keep in mind
-i can be a bit treble sensitive sometimes, which is why i decided not to get the sr325e
-Besides the R3 pro, I have a Fiio A5 to power them up
-i appreciate detail the most
-i want amazing mid-range, but I also want incredible detail
-My other headphones are the DT770, keep that in mind so that you advice me on which compliment them better
I own the RS2e. I wonder at it's fabulous tonal quality every time I put them on. I own other headphones and I keep coming back to the Grado. It checks all your boxes. It is one of the Grado's that will not present a problem with the treble. I get silky smooth treble unless the recording is passing something harsh. No headphone can cover for a bad recording. I really enjoy the RS2e and highly recommend it. I also advise that it can scale very well with good equipment.

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 13
I own the RS2e. I wonder at it's fabulous tonal quality every time I put them on. I own other headphones and I keep coming back to the Grado. It checks all your boxes. It is one of the Grado's that will not present a problem with the treble. I get silky smooth treble unless the recording is passing something harsh. No headphone can cover for a bad recording. I really enjoy the RS2e and highly recommend it. I also advise that it can scale very well with good equipment.
Well, I guess this settles it. When you say good equipment, what do you think I'm missing? Maybe I should buy a balanced end for the r3 pro? What's your set up?

Jul 17, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #4 of 13
One member who owns almost all the Grados that were ever made rates the RS2e an the GS1000i (which you can only find used now) as the best of the bunch.

I own an RS2e an it is my favorite headphone -- comfort and sound quality are great.

Jul 17, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #5 of 13
Well, I guess this settles it. When you say good equipment, what do you think I'm missing? Maybe I should buy a balanced end for the r3 pro? What's your set up?
I'm not going to get into everything I own but at the moment I am using an Auralic Taurus amp connected to and Ares II dac. I have all music played lossless with HQPlayer (it is far from free). The amp alone is 4 times the cost of the headphones. I have far less expensive amps around and it sounds great with them also but there is a difference with better equipment.

Jul 18, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #6 of 13
I'm not going to get into everything I own but at the moment I am using an Auralic Taurus amp connected to and Ares II dac. I have all music played lossless with HQPlayer (it is far from free). The amp alone is 4 times the cost of the headphones. I have far less expensive amps around and it sounds great with them also but there is a difference with better equipment.
Well that sounds a bit over my budget but I guess it's equipment I could get with time and even more saving, still thanks for the rec. You reckon I can drive the RS2e properly with my equipment? Not drive it at it's best but at least to an acceptable sound?

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 13
Why not include RS1e as option? I think it's only slight more than PS500e

Personally, for "bowl pad" Grados, RS1e and PS500e could be categorised as smoothest high frequency. To be frank I'm a bit treble sensitive as well, and couldn't take sr225e because of its treble.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #8 of 13
If you like the Grado sound then i would go for the RS1e, they are IMO THE GRADO.
If you listen to rock n roll like me, then these deserve a serious audition. Comfort-wise my big head doesn't like Grado L pads very much, but go to Beautiful Audio from New Zealand and he or she will hook you up with some very nice and comfy pads.

You can run these pretty good with a Chord Mojo (portable) or a Schiit Lyr 3 (desktop) with pretty good results and both are under 1k.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 13
I just think that the RS2e were cheaper, i wanted to try the ps500e but those already were becoming a bit more than I'm willing to pay, which is why I decided against the RS1e. Besides, I've heard I don't have the equipment for them

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #10 of 13
I have heard nothing but good about the RS2e's. I didn't care for the PS500e's, as I thought they were too flat. I started out with the SR325e's, but I found them too bright and ended up getting GH2's.

And Grado's are ideal for DAP's as they are SUPER easy to drive. No amp needed, if you don't have one right now.

Maybe also consider used?

Grado's are an acquired taste, but if you love them, they are like nothing else. Happy hunting! :thumbsup:

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #11 of 13
I just think that the RS2e were cheaper, i wanted to try the ps500e but those already were becoming a bit more than I'm willing to pay, which is why I decided against the RS1e. Besides, I've heard I don't have the equipment for them

Gotcha. Good point. I'm with you about the Grados in general by the way.
Having also some higher end Focals and Audezes, Grados just does it for me with Pearl Jam, Dylan, Tool. There is nothing quite like it.

And Shane D is right, pretty much any Grado is easy to drive; and a DAP has a good, clean signal that'l do wonders for your music.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #12 of 13
I recently moved up from the SR125e to 325e, after reading some reviews that the 'e' version of the 325 is less treble strident, and I am pleased to say it is. I'm not afraid to use EQ on my Cowon player and LG V35 phone, both of which excellent DAC and power. I've not felt the need to tone down the treble on the 325e -- you can certainly push it if needed, but it's not piercing.

There is a modded PS500 on the forum for sale right now, excellent price, that I was almost tempted with. I've read here and on Reddit more people prefering the RS2e over the RS1e who have heard both.

Jul 19, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #13 of 13
If you like the Grado sound then i would go for the RS1e, they are IMO THE GRADO.

You can run these pretty good with a Chord Mojo (portable) or a Schiit Lyr 3 (desktop) with pretty good results and both are under 1k.

Very true

actually even a little wonder like Lotoo S1 is decent enough for RS1e

Users who are viewing this thread

Back