Grado owners - Treble Ratings for each model
Jan 3, 2011 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
I thought it might be interesting to compare impressions of the treble emphasis on each model - for some, this is the defining characteristic of the Grado line, and for others its their Achilles heel. Personally, I sit somewhere in the middle, but the treble on the 325s still occasionally ambushes me on certain tunes.

These are my (very subjective) rankings of the Grado models I have owned - interested to see if others can fill in the gaps. Please only do so if you have owned a given Grado model for at least a month - my personal experience is that they all settle down over that first month and a shop audition doesnt seem to do justice to the GS1K/PS1K if reports here are anything to go by. 

For a 'prefectly balanced' headphone with a treble rating of 5/10:

SR60i/SR80i - 7.5/10 : very enjoyable headphones with the occasional surprise, particularly in the first 10 minutes of listening.
MS1 - 6.5/10 - I dont recall the MS1 as being quite as upfront as the 60/80 model Grados, but it still has the trademark Grado brightness. 'Balance' is a relative term, but I find them better balanced than the lower end Grados. 
SR125i - ?
SR225I - ?
SR325is - 9/10 :  whether you call it 'tonal imbalance', 'faux detail' or whatever, the treble on these will both reward and punish you - choose your source/amp wisely and consider another headphone entirely if you arent prepared for these occasional (!) spikes. Symphones clearly felt that the design of the 325/MS2 could be improved on, and I note that they make a big deal about the fact that they replace the damping material in the headphone when they substitute aluminum for the plastic internals. Clearly, it would have been expensive for Grado to have made the headphones this way from the factory - I dont know what sort of dampening they use in the GS1K/PS1K. 

RS2/RS1/Ms-Pro : ?
GS1K/PS1K : ? 

Please feel free to fill in the blanks or offer your own ranking - note that I am not commenting on the *quality* of the treble, merely the degree to which it can (with a given source/piece of music) surprise you with that sudden 'yeow !' moment. I'd like to be able to say that I can predict where it will happen in my music, but thats why I use the word 'surprise' :)

Tks,

estreeter

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 9
So everyone stays on the same page and compares apples to apples.  What frequency range are you defining as treble?  Many of the Grados also have an emphasized upper midrange that can get in your face and offer a few surprises.  It may be tempting for some to include some effects of too much upper mids in with the too much treble, but for me that's a separate issue from the treble.

So is this focusing just on the treble?  Say 6 kHz and beyond?  Is the 4 kHz to 6 kHz range fair game to include?

Jan 3, 2011 at 6:59 PM Post #3 of 9
At 51, I may not even hear some of the frequencies you are talking about - I think most folk here know what I mean by 'treble', but if you want to break it down then go ahead. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #4 of 9
Most people here know what treble properly is.  But I've learned not to assume too much here that everyone will be on the same page for comparisons and terms.  My take on treble is that it is the sibilance frequencies (around 6 kHz) and beyond.

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:51 PM Post #5 of 9
Then lets make it official - rate your Grados on the sibilance frequencies, especially the sibilance frequencies that sound feel like someone just buried an icepick in your skull. If the Denons have bass you actually feel, surely Grados have treble you feel. As I said, for some this is a big part of their dynamics, while for others its like taking a dip in the Volga in December. 

Jan 3, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #6 of 9
I think the treble on the 80is is great. At times it seems a bit to muddle however, so I might pick up some bowls to see if that will work. Or possibly some 414s and cut out the centers. I have never had too much treble or any kind of sibilance with these.

Jan 3, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 9
I agree that if the system is not properly setup...the 325's can be brutal. I am a devote supporter and SR325 fan but I won't say they are perfect and definitely catch me by surprise now and then...today being a perfect example...listen to some Miles Davis and once in awhile he'd let out a trumpet blast that I thought for sure would cause some damage. I do think that with tubes and a warm setup...the 325's can be wonderful to listen to.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:53 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Where would the MS2s be on this list?

On the OP's original list, I would put them at 8.0/10.  Much closer to the SR60i/SR80i than the SR325is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back