Grado Modders Go Turbulent X
Jan 10, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #46 of 67
Hey guys,

I am using the Turbulent X drivers on my first headphone build. I'm more of a builder than a buyer so aside from some Shure SE215 these are my first real nice headphones and was wondering how you would compare the drivers to other Audiophile quality stuff? maybe a comparable set? The other question I have is when I put the headphones I am getting what I find to be " driver flex" or crackling as the pressure changes from the pads compressing. Is this common on over ear stuff? I know it is seen a lot in IEM's but haven't found much otherwise? will it damage the drivers? aside from that I think the drivers work great. Like others have said I am finding the bass to be a bit more predominant than the mids but I haven't been able to give them a full shakedown yet and will let you know when I do.

Headphone details:
Machined canvas Phenolic open back cups
Delrin ear pad mounts
Brainwavz earpads
aluminum, stainless and leather headband
the screens on the end are stainless ans bronze
Star quad cable with SMA connectors

I gifted these to my brother for Christmas and will hopefully be making another set for myself soon.

Thanks!

Bottomley Acoustics SB-001 by astonman1985, on Flickr

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #47 of 67
@astonman, that is a very beautiful and interesting build, nice workmanship.

I think your use of the brainwave ear pads creates a very good seal so its why the drivers are crackling since I've only use foam pads (L or G pads) but I've notices planar drivers crackling due to a good seal between the head and ear pads.

If the Trubulent drivers are close to the Symphones Magnums then I'd consider them to be quite good. As for what you are hearing its influenced by the shape of the cups, type of wood, how the drivers are mounted, and the ear pads used.

Jan 10, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #48 of 67
Hey guys,

I am using the Turbulent X drivers on my first headphone build. I'm more of a builder than a buyer so aside from some Shure SE215 these are my first real nice headphones and was wondering how you would compare the drivers to other Audiophile quality stuff? maybe a comparable set? The other question I have is when I put the headphones I am getting what I find to be " driver flex" or crackling as the pressure changes from the pads compressing. Is this common on over ear stuff? I know it is seen a lot in IEM's but haven't found much otherwise? will it damage the drivers? aside from that I think the drivers work great. Like others have said I am finding the bass to be a bit more predominant than the mids but I haven't been able to give them a full shakedown yet and will let you know when I do.

Headphone details:
Machined canvas Phenolic open back cups
Delrin ear pad mounts
Brainwavz earpads
aluminum, stainless and leather headband
the screens on the end are stainless ans bronze
Star quad cable with SMA connectors

I gifted these to my brother for Christmas and will hopefully be making another set for myself soon.

Thanks!

Those leather pads will make the drivers more bassy...beautiful build. What material did you use for the cups? And how did you machine it?

Jan 16, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #49 of 67
Jan 17, 2018 at 1:14 PM Post #50 of 67
Thanks for the kind words guys,

I think I am going to try adding some venting to the earpads, but I will decide once I get a good listen. I am waiting for parts to finish the cable then I will deliver the report card.

Fleasbaby- The cups were hand machined on a metal lathe from a canvas phenolic Link bellow. Its a nice material to work with and looks cool. The only problem is machining it makes a huge mess and it STINKS! The next pair I am going to make I think I am going to switch the materials with the cups and the ear pad mounts. Make the cups from delrin and the pad mounts from phenolic.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#5528k51/=1b62ydp

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #52 of 67
So no comparisons between the new Turbulent X and Magnum V8 yet?
They should be fairly similar as Rhydon tuned the V8 for the Turbulent Labs X driver.

Jan 23, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #53 of 67
Thanks for the kind words guys,

I think I am going to try adding some venting to the earpads, but I will decide once I get a good listen. I am waiting for parts to finish the cable then I will deliver the report card.

Fleasbaby- The cups were hand machined on a metal lathe from a canvas phenolic Link bellow. Its a nice material to work with and looks cool. The only problem is machining it makes a huge mess and it STINKS! The next pair I am going to make I think I am going to switch the materials with the cups and the ear pad mounts. Make the cups from delrin and the pad mounts from phenolic.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#5528k51/=1b62ydp

Try the Velour pads before adding venting, it may help :)

Aug 29, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #54 of 67
Recently received these from Wooden Records (@juStmEetmeAGaIn). They’ve replaced my striped Walnut cups that I split while trying a re-cabling job :frowning2: They seem slightly larger than Rholupat’s, but the finish is better and they look really great imho!

3310947B-E621-419D-A0C6-DF5CB3E144BF.jpeg

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #55 of 67
I very recently purchased a Grado SR60e. The sound was unique to me. I have much higher end cans, but I had yet to hear a set of Grado's. As somebody who prefers a warm sound signature, I was surprised that I actually liked the sound signature. My only gripes were the lack of bass (except the very slight midbass to upper bass hump) and the 2khz spike. But, for $79.00 (US Dollars), that is quite an acceptable sound signature.

In a matter of 2 weeks, I think I have read every Grado Mod thread on head fi and elsewhere. I have some Rosewood Cups and a leather headband arriving from Turbulent Labs, which I very much look forward to receiving. Which leads me to my question...would anybody be able to do a quick comparison between the sound signatures of the Grado SR60e drivers vs the Turbulent X drivers? I have read about Nhoord and Symphone drivers, but I am curious about the Turbulent X drivers.

Side note: To every person who contributed to the multiple Grado Mod threads, you guys are awesome. I gained so much knowledge scouring through those threads. Amazing stuff. :)

Feb 28, 2019 at 12:56 PM Post #56 of 67
I very recently purchased a Grado SR60e. The sound was unique to me. I have much higher end cans, but I had yet to hear a set of Grado's. As somebody who prefers a warm sound signature, I was surprised that I actually liked the sound signature. My only gripes were the lack of bass (except the very slight midbass to upper bass hump) and the 2khz spike. But, for $79.00 (US Dollars), that is quite an acceptable sound signature.

In a matter of 2 weeks, I think I have read every Grado Mod thread on head fi and elsewhere. I have some Rosewood Cups and a leather headband arriving from Turbulent Labs, which I very much look forward to receiving. Which leads me to my question...would anybody be able to do a quick comparison between the sound signatures of the Grado SR60e drivers vs the Turbulent X drivers? I have read about Nhoord and Symphone drivers, but I am curious about the Turbulent X drivers.

Side note: To every person who contributed to the multiple Grado Mod threads, you guys are awesome. I gained so much knowledge scouring through those threads. Amazing stuff. :)

Originally the Turbulent X was issued by Symphones. I am not 100%, but I believe that's the case with this edition as well...so you can expect at least the Symphones house sound. I haven't heard a pair, so I can't promise this though.

What I can promise is that they will be less harsh than your SR60, have a smoother top end and better bass response. This is dependent on how you house them though. They are made for the wooden cups you have already purchased (nice choice :)), so you should be set on that front. Make sure you solder them carefully and cleanly.

Mar 12, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #57 of 67
8643CE56-2C77-4A53-8D74-8297405C1E54.jpeg

Just invested in a new desktop player :wink:
It compliments the ‘X’s particularly well with the Little dot II.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back