Grado HP 1000 - To clean or not to clean?
Sep 10, 2011 at 2:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DianeJones

New Head-Fier
I've just unpacked my Grado HP 1000 headphones which have been stored for several years in my home.

The foam was crumbling and I let it fall off, and gently pulled the rest off.

There is a tiny bit of black residue--either the foam itself or an adhesive?--around the ring with the black screws in it on the side toward one's ears.

Since I will likely sell these, should I do any kind of cleaning or leave them as is?

Diane Jones
San Carlos CA

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #2 of 6
As long as you're not harming the drivers, a light scrub will do.

Sep 10, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 6
Come to San Jose, there is a guy named Chris who will help you clean them in exchange for a listen. 

Sep 11, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #5 of 6
Sure, clean off the residue. I'd probably use a cut-down brush from Home Depot. Get one of the 25¢ ones and use scissors to cut the bristles down. That should get the residue off without hurting anything.

Be careful with the painted-on lettering. It flakes off easily and the pair will be worth more with good lettering. It might be best to avoid touching the lettering at all.

If you want to order new flat pads, TTVJ (one of the sponsors listed on the right) sells them.

P.S. I like your cat! :)

May 12, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #6 of 6
Had the same thing scattered all over the screens of a SR325-0 I bought, you need to SUCK OUT THE POISON.

Don't blow, this will push as much particles inside the air chamber than it will lift them off.

You can also use BluTak, it does miracles. But it won't remove hefty amounts.

You need to do exactly like John Coffey in The Green Mile movie.

Oh yeah and BluTak on the lettering NEVER. I removed the foot of my black "L" and I have hated myself for a while. At least the lettering on this HP1 was mostly rubbed off already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back