Grado High End RS1 or PS1
Jul 29, 2005 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

TWIFOSP

Headphoneus Supremus
I want to get a pair of the upper end Grado's to experience my music collection through a new light.

Are the PS1s worth the money over the RS1s? I've read Zanths review which compares them both. The PS1s sound very intriguing to me, but they obviously cost a lot more than a pair of RS1s. Is it worth it?

Are the PS1s hard to find a good amp to synergize with?

Post your thoughts!

Jul 29, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #2 of 35
> Are the PS1s worth the money over the RS1s?

Yes, everything except the midrange is better.

> Are the PS1s hard to find a good amp to synergize with?

No, they sound good even out of my Iriver H140.

Do the only head-fi worthy thing and buy both.
evil_smiley.gif

Jul 29, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 35
I've found that hte only amp I've tried it with so far
rs1smile.gif
has synergized great with the ps1s. The way I'd make my decision between rs1 and ps1 (owning both) is if you're a basshead, the PS1s are worth it. If you don't get off on that super low end, the RS1s are DARN nice cans.

Jul 29, 2005 at 10:36 PM Post #6 of 35
I started out with the RS1 and then the PS1 and never looked back. To my ears, it does everything better and it sounds great no matter what you use to listen with them.

Think it's a great value if you can get a good pair used...

Jul 29, 2005 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 35
For one thing the PS-1 sound stage presentation is different than the RS-1’s. More like the Joe Grado HP1000 series.

The PS-1’s seem to take the best qualities of the HP1000 series and the RS-1’s and combine them into a wonderful headphone.

When I got the PS-1’s my first impression was- They’re not worth the money since they look like RS-1’s with different ear pieces.

After I listened to them my feeling was they were worth the money not to have to return them.

Think Fun like the RS-1’s but refined like the HP1000’s.

You can get a pair of RS-1’s anytime. Not true about the PS-1’s- Todd posted in a thread about 2 months ago:
“These are a limited production headphone and stock may be getting short soon... how's that for a rumor”

Todd does have a 30 money back return policy? Only risk is shipping costs?

I had RS-1’s 3 times and compared to my HP-2’s the RS-1’s were fun but lacking so I sold the RS-1’s. Since getting the PS1’s I’ve compared them to the HP2’s several times and always go back to the PS1’s. So for me the PS-1’s stomped all over the RS-1’s.

Mitch

Jul 30, 2005 at 2:14 AM Post #8 of 35
I owned both at the same time. I found that I could enjoy the RS-1s if I listened to them before I listened to the PS-1s, but if I listened to the PS-1s first the RS-1s would sound dreadful by comparison. the PS-1 is a much better headphone all the way around...

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:24 AM Post #9 of 35
That's kind of weird... I listened to the PS-1 and RS-1 at the last Maryland meet I attended (in April), and I really didn't like the PS-1s that much. I thought they sounded way too bassy. The rest of the spectrum sounded really nice, but I just got stuck on the bass over and over again. It distracted me from the rest of the music, which a headphone or speaker's bass should never do IMO. I loved the RS-1s on the other hand, they sounded much more natural to me. I really like their colorations as well. Anyway, I can't wait to receive my RS-1s. Can you believe there's a 4 week backorder for $700 headphones? Oh well, I can live with the wait since I'm getting such a great price at my workplace (it definitely pays to work in the industry!).

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
That's kind of weird... I listened to the PS-1 and RS-1 at the last Maryland meet I attended (in April), and I really didn't like the PS-1s that much.

Were those on the SDS-XLR? (If they were balanced, they were probably mine).

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #11 of 35
The PS-1's are much better all around, in fact I don't really like the RS-1's at all but I find the PS-1's to be very good and really fun headphones. Both are pretty easy to drive but the RS-1's weird colorations might make matching it with amps a little more difficult.

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpalmer
Were those on the SDS-XLR? (If they were balanced, they were probably mine).

I wasn't at the meet where you guys had the balanced SDS, I'm talking about the meet before that.

Edit: Actually, now I'm wondering if the PS-1s had C-Pads on them. I think they did. Mayber that's why I didn't like the sound. Anyway, I just thought they had way too much bass, otherwise I really liked them. I still really like the RS-1's colorations though, I don't care what you all think.
tongue.gif

Edit 2: The PS-1s I listened to were being driven off a Veda Audio Dynahi SA. The source was a Music Hall Maverick.

Jul 30, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
Edit: Actually, now I'm wondering if the PS-1s had C-Pads on them. I think they did. Mayber that's why I didn't like the sound. Anyway, I just thought they had way too much bass, otherwise I really liked them. I still really like the RS-1's colorations though, I don't care what you all think.
tongue.gif

Wait till you hear the balanced RS-1's with the SDS-XLR then, In spite of my generally luke warm feeling about the RS-1s that combo was so good I saw God (and his angels).
biggrin.gif
Seriously, it's very, very good, colored yes, but it really doesn't matter...

Jul 30, 2005 at 5:17 AM Post #14 of 35
The RS-1 is a great sounding headphone, and it's a delight to wear because it is so light. The PS-1 is considerably heavier, and this could be a factor in your decision. I heard the PS-1 once for a very short time, was struck by its exteremely strong bass, and was somewhat turned off by that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back