grado hf2 or akg k701
Aug 3, 2010 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nathanv

Head-Fier
i listen to mostly classic rock, alternative rock, ska, and reggae. i use a record player a computer and an ipod. i will be using it mostly at home but sometimes in public. i can get an amp but would prefer not to get one. should i get an akg k701, akg 242 hd, or the grado hf2. 
what should i get? 

other suggestions are appreciated.

Aug 3, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 13
I would absolutely say the HF2 for those genres and ampless. However, they're not exactly headphones to wear around portably-then again, neither are the others. I suggest you look at other closed, sensitive headphones in your price range if you want to use them while out and about, like the ATH-ESW9 and A900 (on ear and around ear, respectively) and D2000/D5000 (around ear)

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 13

Quote:
I would absolutely say the HF2 for those genres and ampless. However, they're not exactly headphones to wear around portably-then again, neither are the others. I suggest you look at other closed, sensitive headphones in your price range if you want to use them while out and about, like the ATH-ESW9 and A900 (on ear and around ear, respectively) and D2000/D5000 (around ear)

This....i completely agree with you, there are another choices out there. 
Akg's require some real amplification. 

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 13
I would suggest the Shure SRH840 for your needs.

The AKG K-70x definitely needs proper amplification to sound even close to it's potential. Portable amps just won't do. The HF-2 would be a bit better without an amp but still sound much better with an amp. They will, however, sound pretty good with a decent portable. Unlike the 70x.

The SRH840 will sound much closer to it's potential out of a DAP than either of the two. Yes it does improve with an amp but it's not totally necessary.

The Shure is a closed headphone though where the others are open. I think it's a small sacrifice overall.

I offer my usual grain of salt. .

Peace,

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 13
I have the 702's and I just placed an order for the HF-2's because of the feedback I've heard about them being good for exactly that type of music.  The wide soundstage on the K70* makes contemporary "heavy" music not sound very appealing.

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 13
I have no idea why so many people recommend Grados without an amp. To my ears, they don't sound nearly as good as they do with a nice amp.

The HF-2s are a fun, rock out can. I adore mine and I listen to just about everything. I wouldn't use them outside, as they're far too big and you'll look like a dork!

Aug 3, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 13
HF2 easily, amped and particularly unamped. the K701 pales to the HF2. Yes, tried both. Note that the K701 is more comfortable however I wouldn't recommend either for outside portable use. Grados do classic rock / soft rock very well. Both cannot be compared soundstage wise though, with both being polar opposites in that regard (Grados = small, in your face, whilst the K701 = unnaturally large and distant). If I was you, HF2.

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #9 of 13
I have never gotten anything good out of a K701 out of a portable source or the average portable amp. The open design makes it silly to use in public, unless it's at a very quiet park or something.

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #11 of 13
Hmmm, interesting. I have been contemplating a Grado purchase.

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but are the HF-2's generally considered superior to the 325i's? I was thinking about getting them after hearing some for myself. I listen mostly to rock and they sounded awesome.

Is the extra hundred bucks or so worth it?

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Hmmm, interesting. I have been contemplating a Grado purchase.

I don't mean to hi-jack the thread, but are the HF-2's generally considered superior to the 325i's? I was thinking about getting them after hearing some for myself. I listen mostly to rock and they sounded awesome.

Is the extra hundred bucks or so worth it?

yes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back