Grado GS1000- with blackdragon cable
May 6, 2010 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

tommarra

100+ Head-Fier
Just want to get some feedback from actual owners

Is Grado GS1000 with Black Dragon cable for USD715 a good buy? I am not too sure about the market value of these cans, I know they retail for $1000 but whats the used value and whats the upgrade of cables worth.

May 6, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 11
Depends... the GS1000 is an older model, replaced with the GS1000i.  My understanding is that there isn't any sonic difference between the non-i and the i models.  The improvements came in the thicker cable and improved crimps on the splitter.

Having said that, I paid $600 for my used exc condition GS1000 (non-i) and I couldn't be happier.  $715 seems reasonable for a custom cable upgrade. 

Fantastic headphones IMHO.

Mark

May 6, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 11
That is a great price. I would definitely jump on them. Beautiful looking cans IMO. Even with rock and metal, which people say they are terrible with, they sound good.

May 6, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 11
That sounds like a very good price to me.

May 6, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 11
Ah, so you won the auction. I must admit, I was the one who ran the price up a bit against you in the last minute.
happy_face1.gif

Anyway, congrats on your purchase. I've never tried the GS1000, but I'm a Grado fan and was rather interested. Near as I can tell, most of the "improvement" in the new GS1000i is found in the stock cable... the need for which is eliminated by the Black Dragon recable. You should be in good shape. Others may say different, but that's what (non-listening) research seems to indicate.

May 6, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #6 of 11
It's an OK price but whether or not it's worth it for the cables is another question entirely.

May 6, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #7 of 11
As I remember that is about $50 less than what I sold an identical phone here on head-fi for over a year ago

May 6, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 11
Thanks for all the inputs.  I love the sound of Grados, have a RS2 and wanted something with similar signature but wider soundstage and just a tad more relaxed, though not the HD650 type relaxed!

@Olias of Sunhillow:  :) and I just got it...had you bid even 10 dollars more you would hav got them!

May 6, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 11

have a RS2 and wanted something with similar signature

@Olias of Sunhillow:  :) and I just got it...had you bid even 10 dollars more you would hav got them!

The GS1000 will not have a similar signature to the RS2, they are very different cans. The GS1000 has a bass and treble focussed signature with slightly recessed mids while the RS2 has a mid-focussed signature. Still, it is an awesome can and I personally love the signature of the GS1000, it is very fun and engaging, and very warm. Its the can I reach for to shuffle through my collection, I just sit back and enjoy my music, any style, any genre. Congrats!

May 7, 2010 at 1:53 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:

Such is the way of the auction. I do sincerely hope you like them, but if by chance you don't... 
dt880smile.png

May 7, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #11 of 11
Congrats! Excellent buy. I paid close to double that for the same setup a few years ago. And I still feel it's worth it. Keep in mind, though, that it's amp-sensitive. When you have a combo that works for you, it'll be tough to beat. It's more warm and musical than analytical, and it's intoxicating when aligned with high-res recordings and the right amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back