Grado GS1000: Tightening adjustment bars?
Jul 5, 2008 at 7:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

edwardsean

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I have a pair of GS1000s and the metal adjustment bars joining the speakers to the headband are loose. Does anyone know how I can get into the black plastic housing and tighten them? Thanks.

Sincerely,

Edward

Jul 5, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 5
I don't think you can get into the plastic housings. Rod locks are the way to go. I did these myself if you want to know how I'll go back and figure out all the dimensions, cap screw, hole size, tap size (to cut threads). However I won't be able to get the info to you for a while because I'm leaving tomorrow for about three weeks.

100_3852.jpg

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Hi,

Can anyone help with this without resorting to the above approach. I know there must be a way to do it because my headphones have made a few trips to Grado and each time they have come back with very different levels of tightness. I emailed Grado on it and they asked to send the phones back. However, as I've said, they've already been there quite a few times so I'm really hoping to be able to make the adjustment at home. If you have any ideas please let me know.

Sincerely,

Edward

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 5
The screws, as mentioned above, are the best cure........remember, that is how Joe Grado held them for his HP-1, HP-2, HP-3 (but his screws, were special order machined pieces, and relatively expensive).
Larry (Headphile) also drills/taps, and supplies the screws - but I think he only does it in conjunction with other work. But, it doesn''t hurt to ask.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardsean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone know how I can get into the black plastic housing and tighten them?

I really can't see how this can be done since the halves of the black plastic housing are glued tightly together. You will likely crack something getting them apart.

One thing that may help is to wipe the height adjuster rods with rubbing alcohol. This will allow the rubber bushings inside the black plastic housing grip the rods better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back