Grado GS1000 or RS1 or AKG701 which one to keep
Dec 1, 2007 at 10:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

saisunil

Member of the Trade: Care Audio
Hi,

Flashback:
I liked my AKG701 but I wanted to get the most out of them so I sent them for Silver dragon recabling - now they are more refined and smoother and more soundstage but it did not have improvement in bass.

Fast forward:
I bought Grado GS1000 and RS1 - I have about 300 hours of burn-in using ISO-TEK full system enhancer CD. Since this CD is like a work out - the effect should be an order of magnitude more than the actual number of hours put in - as if there is more than 300 hours of burn in. The AKG 701s have more than 500 hours of burn in by now.

I find all three headphones to be excellent but none perfect to my ears after a quick listen in between burn-in. Here are my impressions:

GS1000 has the bass and sound stage to die for - amazing. The treble is quite extended but not super smooth. The mids are laid back and grainy - I wonder if the mids will become smoother as I continue to burn in. They are quite comfortable.

RS1 has excellent top, mids and bottom. Actually they have amazing mids. So where is my complain - not big enough soundstage - very important for me as I listen to mostly Jazz and classical and some vocals.

AKG701 (with silver dragon cable) - they sound extremely open but not as extended as GS100 or RS1 and do not go as deep as either of the two grados - at LOW volumes. So what happens when I play between mid to high volume - everything come into play - I hear the lows, the mids are the smoothest of the lot and a lot of air on top - non fatiguing. They sound more like listening to speakers than either grados. I almost don't wish for more bottom. In other words they become more balanced top to bottom as I increase the volume and they do not sound so balanced to me in my system at low listening volumes.

Amp is mapletree HD2 - source is TRL modded Sony 900 (very transparent and neutral)

I can keep only one headphone (may be two - if necessary). I'd appreciate your input. It is not about Grado vs AKG. I find that all three headphones are reference level - just different. Neither one siunds perfect to me for now - I wonder if that would change after another week of burn-in.

I am also contemplating getting Senn HD600 with equinox cable into the mix but that will happen when I sell one of the three to find the senn 600.

Thank you all
Regards
Sunil.

edit: changed GS100 to GS1000 in the title

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 98
Its rare for one headphone to do everything perfectly, hence we tend to have multiple cans for different moods and music.

If you can manage to keep two, K701 and RS1 is good combination. Neutral and spatial vs. intense and headbanging.

Dec 1, 2007 at 11:20 PM Post #3 of 98
i have owned all three.

i now own grado ps-1's and ultrasone edition 9's. the two combined cover all bases for me. but the edition 9 alone would be just fine. my grados are essenital beause for over 10 years the rs1 was my reference and i am addicted to the grado sound for rock and roll.

but for classical, jazz, vocals and all things acoustic (and electronica), the ultrasones are the best i have ever heard.

if you can audition a pair do so. they blow away the rs1's, 750's and gs1000's imo.

i have also owned Senn HD600 and hd650 with equinox cable. no way will that be your cure all.

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #4 of 98
How different are the ultrasone 9's from 2500 (open back). I found Ultrasone 2500 to to be a step or two beloe AKG 701 in overall refinement.

Also what amp are you using to drive the 9's - Rudistor RPX-33?

I heard the 9's at the AES connected to mid-fi gear and they had too much bass - I was told that the recording had too much bass.

I have Mapletree HD2 head amp and I am willing to change that too if necessary. I want to settle down.

Thanks
Sunil

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #5 of 98
GS1K, AKG701, and then RS1. In that order. Keep the GS1k. I'll be angry if you dont. If you do, fork em over to me.

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 98
I think the GS1K is the superior phone of the bunch (and over the Ed.9 too), but also the most finicky with matching equipment. The one brief time I heard it with the Mapletree, I came away very unimpressed (though don't remember the tubes used). So far I've liked them with the WA5/6, Extreme/MPX3, Zana Deux and Raptor (with various tube combos). The right tube combo seems to help with the midrange issues (though distant I don't think I've ever heard it grainy). I also think the Ed.9 or HD5/6X0 can make a good secondary pair (though I have yet to hear the GS1K and Ed.9 sound best with the same equipment). The K701, which I respect doesn't quite do it for me compared to the Senns and all other production Grados have too many problems to mention as all-arounders.

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #8 of 98
Hi Rise to the top - you seem to be resonating with my current preference for my musical tastes:
GS1k, 701 and then RS1 - though neither one is bad it is just a matter of preference.

I am putting RS1 on sale.

Cheers
Sunil.

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #10 of 98
I haven't heard the GS-1000, though I'm really interested in them. Will probably pick up a pair sooner or later.

I do own the RS-1 and the K-701. The RS-1 is the clear winner in that matchup. I've made a real effort to like them, but haven't. They'll probably end up in the For Sale Forum soon enough.

The RS-1, on the other hand, blew me away the first time I put it on and it's still exciting about 18 months later.

Dec 2, 2007 at 1:04 AM Post #11 of 98
Get your GS1000 on with Silver Dragon.

Try to audition a GS1000 with Silver Dragon before your commitment to recabling.
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:16 AM Post #13 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by saisunil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How different are the ultrasone 9's from 2500 (open back). I found Ultrasone 2500 to to be a step or two beloe AKG 701 in overall refinement.

Also what amp are you using to drive the 9's - Rudistor RPX-33?

I heard the 9's at the AES connected to mid-fi gear and they had too much bass - I was told that the recording had too much bass.

the 2500 is a step below. the ed 9 is 4 to 5 steps above.

hearing with midfi at a show, shows you nothing.

my rsa raptor and my rsa hr2 both drive every phone i throw at them extremely well. including both the gs1000's and the ed 9's!

its all very personal. for me, the ps1 is an ultra refined version of the rs1. the gs1k is great
but totally different - and i needed the classic rs1 approach for rock, which i listen to 70% of the time. so i sold the gs1k to finance my ps-1's. then i needed a closed phone so got the utrasones, and found i no longer lacked a killer can for jazz and classical. the ed 9's are the only headphone i've heard that can pretty much cover all bases. i could survive with them alone if necessary.

i would like to have another gs1000 (recabled) and be able to compare them to the ed9 for classical, jazz and acoustic music in general.

Dec 2, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #14 of 98
You have answered you question, just dump HD2 if you will keep GS1000. They need something like my Aspen
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by saisunil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Mapletree HD2 head amp and I am willing to change that too if necessary. I want to settle down.

Thanks
Sunil

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:24 AM Post #15 of 98
I find myself agreeing with those who recommend tinkering more on the amp side, regardless of which one or two headphones you keep. The description of all three make it sound like the amp is really not doing its job in this equation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back