Grado GS-1000 Measurements
May 5, 2006 at 6:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 322

Tyll Hertsens

Garmentus Vulgaris & Headphoneus Supremus
Member of the Trade: Innerfidelity
Just wanted to let you guys know that we've gotten our pair of GS-1000s. I have listened to them, but I'm not going to offer a comment quite yet as I'd like to give them significant break in before offering a firm opinion. But having measured hundreds of headphones and knowing that break in has little significant effect on the measured data I thought I'd offer up this graph comparing the GS-1000, RS-1, and SR-225.

graphCompare.php

And this graph comparing the GS-1000 with the HD650, K701.

graphCompare.php

Obviously, these cans bear more resemblance to the rest of the Grado line than the other cans. I can definately hear the strong bass response and the brightness indicated by the graphs. Beyond that, I'm just going to listen and give them time to grow on me ... or not. I'll let you know. The data is currently available on our build-a-graph page.

May 5, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #2 of 322
Wow! That's not really what I'd expected at all!

graphCompare.php

Hmm... yeah, they look a lot like the RS-1s. Just louder and without the 2kHz peak.

May 5, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #4 of 322
wow... they are are grados! and bigger bass than HD650!- so i guess this means that they have all quit trying a flat frequency response.

May 5, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by granodemostasa
so i guess this means that they have all quit trying a flat frequency response.

I think Grado quit trying to have flat frequency response long ago.

I haven't heard these GS's, but I'm not sure whether I want to bother now.

May 5, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
Holy Treble Hump batman!

Yet...they are supposed to be less fatigueing than tha rs-1? It looks like the beyer dt880s

More like DT990s

graphCompare.php

May 5, 2006 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 322
Wow...DT990s even. That's a pretty unbearable can for me.

But I guess you can't rely on graphs that much, can you?

May 5, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 322
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
But I guess you can't rely on graphs that much, can you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
....these nice graphs. While I have absolutely no idea how to fully interpret them, I can compare them to the headphones I currently have to get a rough idea usually of differences in sound...

I think the graphs are valid and real information, but don't tell the whole story. So, Alu, as Naris says, I do think you can rely on them to get a rough idea. And, Naris, if you manage to get a rough idea, you've probably understood them as fully as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatko
will the Highs kill my ears

Here's a good example of where the graph doesn't tell all: so far, my emerging impression of the GS-1000 is that they are NOT as strident as I find other Grado models. The bass does seem to me rather overwhelmingly bloated however. Generally, a peak in the FR (anywhere) indicates a resonance, and generally tones near that resonance will tend to be percieved as having a "one note" character.

May 5, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #15 of 322
Are the specs of the GS1000 identical to those of the RS1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back