GRADO GR10: Reviews, First Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #1,036 of 1,160

:D

sound is slightly different, but it's just a matter of gettig used to.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #1,037 of 1,160

biggrin.gif

What do you mean with slightly different?
happy_face1.gif

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,038 of 1,160

:D

What do you mean with slightly different?:happy_face1:

Decreased lower mids, or increased upper mids.

I think i'm going back to have them shortened a bit more from the outside, or have the tubes a bit wider.

Apr 15, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #1,039 of 1,160
Just looking at the astronomical length of the sound bore makes me very leary that the sound could be improved.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much distance between driver and exit hole.

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #1,040 of 1,160
  Just looking at the astronomical length of the sound bore makes me very leary that the sound could be improved.  Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much distance between driver and exit hole.

That is unfortunately right, I removed them again,painfully to admit,not to mention the loss of 155 Euro.The only positive comment to give is that the custom tips are definitely the most comfortable you can come across, apert from that, without getting to lyrical about it,the sound was to thin, so I did grab mostly to my IE80 again, being frustrated with it yesterday I did replace them by tips, that were included in my IE80 package, and the fit was prefect on the hearer, and more than acceptable in my ear, even more important the sound I loved is back!

Apr 16, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #1,041 of 1,160
  Well well... I bought the GR10 about 4 years ago on a trip to the US, didn't immediately get on with them, lent them to my wife who then lost them... anyway guess what she just found clearing out a cupboard ?

Yep, older and maybe a little wiser, its time for me to give these another try...

I am sure they will harmonise perfectly with your iPhone 6 :)

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:16 AM Post #1,042 of 1,160
  I did not see this earlier and I'd have to say that this cannot be any truer. Having owned the GR10, I think it is too expensive for the price. I've compared it to the RS1i previously, and while they sound very close on some song, the GR10 seems to lack bass on most songs (being addicted to the Grado sound I can't stand that little bass). Except on certain songs like Noisettes Don't Upset the Rhythms, the GR10 was not punchy enough for me. Imagine the harshness and bright signature of the RS1i, with almost nonexistent bass

On the other hand, I certainly liked it. The GR10 will also benefit from good amping. It's just that I liked the iGi even more, and for the price of $400, I expected much more from Grado. At least the SR40 and the iGrado have "true" Grado drivers.

When talking about bass we should define first what we mean. You can´t general talking about bassas it depends on the music direction. For example the bass I am referring to is in  the music of early Yes, Magma, King Crimson, Steven Wilson and Primus. The GR10 is very very sensitive to bad recordings, but if bass is there, like on Chris Squire´s Fish out of Water, you will defenitely hear it. On the remastered Starless and Bible Black by King Crimson, the bass is very punchy and the GR10 does very well, but it remains a IEM where you have to go for the compromise. The IE80 does bass better and more punchy, but the mids and highs are not on the same outstanding level as the GR10. There are maybe IEMs out there where you don´t have to compromise, but they are mostly unaffordable for most of us, think of AKG K3003.

Apr 17, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,043 of 1,160
When talking about bass we should define first what we mean. You can´t general talking about bassas it depends on the music direction. For example the bass I am referring to is in  the music of early Yes, Magma, King Crimson, Steven Wilson and Primus. The GR10 is very very sensitive to bad recordings, but if bass is there, like on Chris Squire´s Fish out of Water, you will defenitely hear it. On the remastered Starless and Bible Black by King Crimson, the bass is very punchy and the GR10 does very well, but it remains a IEM where you have to go for the compromise. The IE80 does bass better and more punchy, but the mids and highs are not on the same outstanding level as the GR10. There are maybe IEMs out there where you don´t have to compromise, but they are mostly unaffordable for most of us, think of AKG K3003.
here is how they look now

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #1,044 of 1,160
Even after going back i was still not satisfied, as they're not used to making them this small, and couldn't guarantee a good fit anymore.

I modded them myself a bit yesterday, and am now completely happy with them.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #1,045 of 1,160
Supplemental ref my earlier "review" of the Grados saying they blew the HD600's out of the water: Purchased a Fiio X3 2nd Gen about a week ago. Excellent device. I must say that it's put the HD600's back on track in terms of SQ. I clearly needed something more muscular to bring these great cans into line! Am happily discovering music anew, with both the Grados and the HD600's.

Apr 26, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #1,046 of 1,160
Supplemental ref my earlier "review" of the Grados saying they blew the HD600's out of the water: Purchased a Fiio X3 2nd Gen about a week ago. Excellent device. I must say that it's put the HD600's back on track in terms of SQ. I clearly needed something more muscular to bring these great cans into line! Am happily discovering music anew, with both the Grados and the HD600's.
I am still waiting for the X5 second generation but if the X3 gives the most for the money it will be this one

Apr 26, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #1,047 of 1,160
I can't comment on the X5, but read good things ref the X3ii. I do like it. Really my first foray into modern portable HiFi. I have a pair of Kef X300A's which I love, but are just not getting the attention they deserve.

The Grados and now the Fiio have opened my eyes (ears :) ) to the possibilities. Just so engaging and addictive to listen to all day. Music just makes more sense than ever before. More emotion coming through than ever before.

I don't think u'd be disappointed with the X3.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #1,048 of 1,160
I can't comment on the X5, but read good things ref the X3ii. I do like it. Really my first foray into modern portable HiFi. I have a pair of Kef X300A's which I love, but are just not getting the attention they deserve.

The Grados and now the Fiio have opened my eyes (ears :) ) to the possibilities. Just so engaging and addictive to listen to all day. Music just makes more sense than ever before. More emotion coming through than ever before.

I don't think u'd be disappointed with the X3.
I am sure I won't as somebody who is still with both audio legs on the ground, I don't think any player can't be that much better anymore soundwise, only the X5 have the 256 GB possibility as I already have a "full" iPod Touch 64GB and a ditto X1. I am not into collecting Daps, on the contrary, I would like to have all my music on a single Dap.

Apr 26, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #1,049 of 1,160
I hear you on the capacity issue. I have around 40000 flacs and some 3000 hd and SACD files also.

I am extremely impressed which the speed at which the X3ii indexes a full 64gb card (about 25 seconds or less?). Therefore, I am transcribing albums across multiple cards and will carry a small storage box of Microsd's with me when travelling and swap round cards as required when at home.

ANY player will fill up eventually, and the ability to index rapidly several thousand tracks is indispensible. At something like 25usd per 64gb, it's becoming viable to archive onto MicroSD.

It's daunting to think I can have my entire library of perhaps 5000 lossless albums on a set of cards I can easily fit in a matchbox.

One thing I haven't really mastered yet is the OTG storage: tried a 256gb transcend ssd, but it did not seem to recognise it. However, Im not too bothered, given the cheapness and rapidity of hotswapping and indexing possible, as mentioned.

How is the X1 at indexing a fresh full card? 

Apr 28, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #1,050 of 1,160
I hear you on the capacity issue. I have around 40000 flacs and some 3000 hd and SACD files also.

I am extremely impressed which the speed at which the X3ii indexes a full 64gb card (about 25 seconds or less?). Therefore, I am transcribing albums across multiple cards and will carry a small storage box of Microsd's with me when travelling and swap round cards as required when at home.

ANY player will fill up eventually, and the ability to index rapidly several thousand tracks is indispensible. At something like 25usd per 64gb, it's becoming viable to archive onto MicroSD.

It's daunting to think I can have my entire library of perhaps 5000 lossless albums on a set of cards I can easily fit in a matchbox.

One thing I haven't really mastered yet is the OTG storage: tried a 256gb transcend ssd, but it did not seem to recognise it. However, Im not too bothered, given the cheapness and rapidity of hotswapping and indexing possible, as mentioned.

How is the X1 at indexing a fresh full card? 
Without any problem, but transfering the right info with the music somethimes doesn't work but hey this is not an iPod Touch, and for 100 Euro it is a great Dap, but the mainstream audience stick to their phones, that is also why Apple did loose 23% marketshare with the iPod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back