Grado Fan Club!
Apr 1, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #6,706 of 66,301
Quote:

I listen to more classical than everything else, combined.  To be frank, for ambient/electronica (e.g. Steve Roach) and vocals (e.g. Rebecca Pidgeon or Kimbra) , I will often switch to my Senn HD-598s for the very lush mids and low-mids.  But for strings, piano and full orchestra... that's where I fell in love with Grado.

So,  I've never heard the RS series-my sense is the RS1 and 2 have a better soundstage and maybe translate into orchestral better...not that my 225 is horrid, but just something to consider....fair assumption?

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #6,707 of 66,301
Quote:
I too am very interested in this...
gs1000.gif

Me too!

how  much does the GR8 & GR10 run

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM Post #6,708 of 66,301
Quote:
So,  I've never heard the RS series-my sense is the RS1 and 2 have a better soundstage and maybe translate into orchestral better...not that my 225 is horrid, but just something to consider....fair assumption?

It's been a while since I've listened to the 225, so I'm not sure what my comments are worth in that regard.

But for my tastes, what really separated the RS2i from the pack was the detail.  For classical (especially strings and piano), the detail is just spectacular; the aggressiveness (attack, if you will) really works wonders with this genre of music.  This was a surprise to me when I auditioned a bunch of Grado models at a local retailer for a couple of hours.

When I listened to the RS2i or RS1i versus the lower priced Grado models, the difference in detail and attack was large (again, for my ears using my laptop, DAC/amp and music I know, well)... YMMV.

As for soundstage, however... my Sennheiser HD-598 cans have a larger soundstage and I've started using these for different types of music (as I mentioned in my earlier reply).

I am a believer, now, in matching headphones to the music - which means, of course, that upgrade madness will never end and I'm already shopping for a new set of IEMs for mobile use :)

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #6,709 of 66,301

The RS-1 are "so so" with orchestral music imho - they have better staging, but they aren't "big" or "wide open" - I think the GS-1000 or another manufacturer (AT would be my pick) would be a better choice if you want a big, spacious presentation. One thing the RS-1 do *excellently* though is render brass. So they do a fantastic job, tonally, for large orchestral pieces - but they don't capture the scope and scale of a very large concert hall like some other headphones. It's been so long since I've heard the GS-1000 that I'm not really comfortable trying to draw comparisons - someone with a GS-1000 could probably comment on that though (there's a few people who frequent this thread with GSKs).

Me too!

how  much does the GR8 & GR10 run

No idea on GR8 (does anyone else read that as "gr-eight" or "great" ? :p), but iirc GR10 are around $400.

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #6,710 of 66,301
Quote:

It's been a while since I've listened to the 225, so I'm not sure what my comments are worth in that regard.

But for my tastes, what really separated the RS2i from the pack was the detail.  For classical (especially strings and piano), the detail is just spectacular; the aggressiveness (attack, if you will) really works wonders with this genre of music.  This was a surprise to me when I auditioned a bunch of Grado models at a local retailer for a couple of hours.

When I listened to the RS2i or RS1i versus the lower priced Grado models, the difference in detail and attack was large (again, for my ears using my laptop, DAC/amp and music I know, well)... YMMV.

As for soundstage, however... my Sennheiser HD-598 cans have a larger soundstage and I've started using these for different types of music (as I mentioned in my earlier reply).

I am a believer, now, in matching headphones to the music - which means, of course, that upgrade madness will never end and I'm already shopping for a new set of IEMs for mobile use :)

Good stuff!  I'm very much looking forward to my first headfi meet in May and auditioning some cool gear.

Cheers!

Apr 1, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #6,711 of 66,301
Quote:

Yep, that's my excuse for buying more headphones! 

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #6,712 of 66,301
I had the Gr8 for a few months before I sold it(a few months ago). It was a very interesting iem, I had a love hate relationship with it because at times the highs would be painful to listen to(i have a similar problem with the Rs1 also). Surprisingly, it had very good sub-bass when it was called for, I actually used it often to watch movies.
In a few words I would say, it had very clean/clear mids and highs. no midbass hump but had very good low bass. For example, I've never heard an explosion in a movie sound as good as like what it did with these iems. Also, these were a real pleasure to handle. They are very small, light weight and just disappear into your ears.

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #6,713 of 66,301
Quote:
The RS-1 are "so so" with orchestral music imho - they have better staging, but they aren't "big" or "wide open" - I think the GS-1000 or another manufacturer (AT would be my pick) would be a better choice if you want a big, spacious presentation. One thing the RS-1 do *excellently* though is render brass. So they do a fantastic job, tonally, for large orchestral pieces - but they don't capture the scope and scale of a very large concert hall like some other headphones. It's been so long since I've heard the GS-1000 that I'm not really comfortable trying to draw comparisons - someone with a GS-1000 could probably comment on that though (there's a few people who frequent this thread with GSKs).
No idea on GR8 (does anyone else read that as "gr-eight" or "great" ?
tongue.gif
), but iirc GR10 are around $400.

With their big soundstage, i find that the GS1000 do a very good job with orchestral music, they're still my go to phones when listening to live concerts on DVD, especially the first generation, non ''i'' model, since their midrange was a little more recessed than the newer version. 

Apr 1, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #6,714 of 66,301
*****, have to stop using my sr60is in the office ... they are way too open ... hope my shures dont destroy my ears

Apr 2, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #6,715 of 66,301
I use my 125is in my office and have had no problems yet. The open cans have taught me to keep the volume down and in turn my hearing is being spared some damage from hearing loss.

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #6,717 of 66,301
Quote:
ok, i just got my grado ps500 5 days ago. is it normal for them distort easily? o_O or did i receive a defective unit. i got them from a authorized dealer (woo audio) 

no, I was pumping my RS-2 with my Lyr to ear shredding levels....because I'm stupid and have a death wish for my headphones apparently
very_evil_smiley.gif
. They didn't distort until it was at a completely un-listenable level. Maybe check your source materials or DAC?

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:34 AM Post #6,718 of 66,301
Quote:
ok, i just got my grado ps500 5 days ago. is it normal for them distort easily? o_O or did i receive a defective unit. i got them from a authorized dealer (woo audio) 

I've had similar issues with almost all my Grados and have had to send them back.
IME Grado doesn't have a great QA/QC process the first time around but the repaired/replaced ones have never given any problems.
Is the distortion on one driver or both.

Apr 2, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #6,719 of 66,301
It's been a long time since I've posted. Which wasn't that much to begin with.

I just wanted to mention my appreciation of Grado.

My SR80 were purchased in March of 2007.They are all beat up and are still my daily drivers. (The 'use' character these cans have are amazing.) They still deliver really good sound. After all these years. I do have other headphones, but the SR80 have been my primary go to cans all these years. Minus replacement pads and some tweaks to the stock cord. They still give what I ask of them.

Apr 2, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #6,720 of 66,301
Quote:
I've had similar issues with almost all my Grados and have had to send them back.
IME Grado doesn't have a great QA/QC process the first time around but the repaired/replaced ones have never given any problems.
Is the distortion on one driver or both.

yes, the distortion is on both drivers :/ it's noticeable even on moderate listening levels. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back