Grado Fan Club!
Dec 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #5,911 of 65,977
Quote:

Well I need to spend some time with the new pair on my own gear.  However, initial impressions are more detail, more openness, good bass, and smooth highs.  But the clencher for me is a nice midrange.  Just glorious in the mids.

I agree, and in my opinion, the PS500s have the most unGrado sound of all, definately one of my favorite Grados. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #5,912 of 65,977
Ended up purchasing a pair of RS2i from Amazon for $380, return unit of course at this price level, but I have in general a very good experience with these Amazon offers and the price was just way to tempting to let it go, although I was still in the moment of deciding whether to get either a RS1 or RS2 to complement my PS500.

I will post impressions of this pairing and maybe include the SR80i that I also have. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:22 AM Post #5,913 of 65,977
Quote:
Ended up purchasing a pair of RS2i from Amazon for $380, return unit of course at this price level, but I have in general a very good experience with these Amazon offers and the price was just way to tempting to let it go, although I was still in the moment of deciding whether to get either a RS1 or RS2 to complement my PS500.

I will post impressions of this pairing and maybe include the SR80i that I also have. 

Congrats on your purchase! ...man, I was just gonna pm you to see if you wanted to audition my Rs2 and in return I could audition your PS500 for a week or two. Oh well, guess I'll have to be patient till I get my "Head-Fi budget" up again.
wink.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #5,914 of 65,977
Quote:
Congrats on your purchase! ...man, I was just gonna pm you to see if you wanted to audition my Rs2 and in return I could audition your PS500 for a week or two. Oh well, guess I'll have to be patient till I get my "Head-Fi budget" up again.
wink.gif

Thanks, I know what you mean
wink_face.gif
  My Head-Fi budget" is kind of at an all time low right now,  so I have decided not to purchase or upgrade anything until next year 
confused_face_2.gif

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #5,916 of 65,977
So nice to see so many new Grado owners coming into the fold! Welcome to the club, gents! Sounds like a lot of folks are gravitating toward the RS1s and the PS500s...can't go wrong there! 

Dec 30, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #5,917 of 65,977
Quote:

I imagine that laying the headphones flat is not a problem, but i like to have my headphones on stands, but with the PS1000 weight, that's asking for trouble

I don't think your asking for any trouble at all, it's acually the same difference in weight on the rod block's themself's, your just adding the collar's to the rod to keep the adjustment height, the block's with or without the collar's still have the same weight on them, they also come in black if you like,

Dec 30, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #5,918 of 65,977
Quote:
So nice to see so many new Grado owners coming into the fold! Welcome to the club, gents! Sounds like a lot of folks are gravitating toward the RS1s and the PS500s...can't go wrong there! 

I could not decide so I have both now. :)

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #5,920 of 65,977
I'm thinking of buying a CD player as I don't have any and I've been listening to music from notebooks most of the time, I'm thinking of moving to CDs, at least for the things I really like. I currently use the SR325is and I was just wondering if buying a regular audio systems rangeing from 100 to 300 US$ (those ones with speakers and CD player) would be a waste of money in terms of sound to my sr325is?

Any idea of playing CDs on the cheap and have decent quality with my sr325is? thanks....

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #5,921 of 65,977
Quote:
I'm thinking of buying a CD player as I don't have any and I've been listening to music from notebooks most of the time, I'm thinking of moving to CDs, at least for the things I really like. I currently use the SR325is and I was just wondering if buying a regular audio systems rangeing from 100 to 300 US$ (those ones with speakers and CD player) would be a waste of money in terms of sound to my sr325is?

Any idea of playing CDs on the cheap and have decent quality with my sr325is? thanks....

If your main goal is to listen to better audio with your SR225is, best bet would be to rip your CDs to your notebook in lossless format, then get a good DAC/headphone amp setup. If you have a lot of CDs, invest in an external USB CD drive so you don't wear out your notebook CD drive. 

Dec 30, 2012 at 2:00 PM Post #5,922 of 65,977
I think the RS2i will compliment the PS500s for my taste.  Sometimes, I miss the forward presentation of the 325is.  The PS500s mids and highs are clear, but it is a bit farther away.  I tried the RS1i and RS2i before, and I think the RS2i is a good match for the PS500s.

BTW, towel hook from ACE hardware...  =)
I used to be a fan of Bose, until I discovered Grado and V-moda cans.
Still, I bought a Bose speaker since it is the cheapest one with decent soundstage.  I have to always set the Itune equalizer  to treble boost when using the Bose desktop speaker.
I am looking forward for a Little Dot tube amp.  Either the Hybrid 1+ or the MKii  ?  I wonder if any tube can make the PS500 sound sig a bit warmer ?

Dec 30, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #5,923 of 65,977
Quote:

If your main goal is to listen to better audio with your SR225is, best bet would be to rip your CDs to your notebook in lossless format, then get a good DAC/headphone amp setup. If you have a lot of CDs, invest in an external USB CD drive so you don't wear out your notebook CD drive. 

Well so maybe I should get a tube amp to pair with my Fiio E10, which has a DAC and a line out that presumably comes from the DAC, I'm into the http://bravoaudio.com/Bravo%20Ocean.html. The question now is, FLAC files with FiiO E10 + Bravo Audio tube would give me something better than my Sony Vaio headphone output? I'm sayng that because the FiiO E10 amp output gives me a less detailed sound than the notebook jack to the point I don't use it anymore. Need help.

Dec 30, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5,924 of 65,977
Quote:
I don't think your asking for any trouble at all, it's acually the same difference in weight on the rod block's themself's, your just adding the collar's to the rod to keep the adjustment height, the block's with or without the collar's still have the same weight on them, they also come in black if you like,

What i mean is. it's asking for trouble to put them on an headphone stand WITHOUT the collars,
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back