Grado Fan Club!
Dec 27, 2012 at 8:19 PM Post #5,866 of 66,230
Quote:
Yes 250 is correct if I remember right. Is that $200 for just the PS-1? (I vaguely remember the RS-1 costing around $80 to restore).
As far as what they'll repair them with - I think they charge a flat restoration fee for whatever cans you send in - the pads, cable, etc they can basically replace no problem, it's just the drivers that are kind of unknown - but Grado is pretty mum about their drivers. I would say that you should be okay though; it is Grado after all.

Inflation must be taking it's toll, now the RS-1 will cost $100 and cushions are extra.   Still can't complain.  

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #5,867 of 66,230
Not sure but Joe, not Grado, may be the one to work on/repair the Ps-1 and HP-1. I don't think Grado work on the HP1000 drivers.
Steve sonic should check out the HP1000 threads. There are few members who have repaired and/or upgraded their HP2s through Joe Grado.
Devouring3 and PCF and others have a wealth of knowledge on the older Grados.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:43 PM Post #5,868 of 66,230
And here i tought i'd gotten the deal of the century when i stumbled  upon my HP2s at an audio store, and they let me have them for $350, it was all i could do to keep from bursting out laughing in the salesman's face when he was writing up the bill.

Dec 27, 2012 at 8:45 PM Post #5,869 of 66,230
Just got the last pair of aluminum gimbals Rhydon has in stock... they look beautifulll on my SR325is =) Is anodizing hard to do?

Dec 27, 2012 at 9:48 PM Post #5,870 of 66,230
Which color are they? I got black ones very recently too, I think I prefer them over MartinCustomAudio's

I had a pretty good deal for my NOS HP2 and HP1 too :p, 923 and 819 CAD respectively

stevesonic, Grado will replace your RS-1 drivers with RS-1i ones; they will do a super clean job, but you'll loose the vintage RS-1 drivers.

Can you shine a flashlight in the cups and see if it could be cable connection problem? A relatively simple recabling by someone who knows his way around RS-1 drivers extraction (maybe it's just a matter of using a hair dryer), would be a better solution, and your RS-1 wouldn't loose its value nor sound. The vintage RS-1 are prized for their sound and pink drivers.

Not much is known about the PS-1 drivers, but you would need to make sure that Grado put real PS-1 drivers and not RS-1i ones. Only if your PS-1 driver has exploded and is really KO, otherwise I'd try to recable (same solution as for the RS-1) before sending it to Grado. These drivers are the easiest ones to extract.

These fancy-lock style Grado RS-1 wooden boxes with blue tinted velvet are pretty rare. This box (and black headband) implies that your pair is of second oldest type of vintage RS-1.

Yep 250 PS-1 (and only 48 sold by TTVJ in the US in around 2004-2005 at a maximum pace of 2 a month) with the 7-8 John (eBay) Auction (called "JAG") Grado PS-1, no serial number on these. The last JAG is a special one-off with chrome metal finish cups.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #5,871 of 66,230
Quote:
Which color are they? I got black ones very recently too, I think I prefer them over MartinCustomAudio's

I had a pretty good deal for my NOS HP2 and HP1 too :p, 923 and 819 CAD respectively

stevesonic, Grado will replace your RS-1 drivers with RS-1i ones; they will do a super clean job, but you'll loose the vintage RS-1 drivers.

Can you shine a flashlight in the cups and see if it could be cable connection problem? A relatively simple recabling by someone who knows his way around RS-1 drivers extraction (maybe it's just a matter of using a hair dryer), would be a better solution, and your RS-1 wouldn't loose its value nor sound. The vintage RS-1 are prized for their sound and pink drivers.

Not much is known about the PS-1 drivers, but you would need to make sure that Grado put real PS-1 drivers and not RS-1i ones. Only if your PS-1 driver has exploded and is really KO, otherwise I'd try to recable (same solution as for the RS-1) before sending it to Grado. These drivers are the easiest ones to extract.

These fancy-lock style Grado RS-1 wooden boxes with blue tinted velvet are pretty rare. This box (and black headband) implies that your pair is of second oldest type of vintage RS-1.

Yep 250 PS-1 (and only 48 sold by TTVJ in the US in around 2004-2005 at a maximum pace of 2 a month) with the 7-8 John (eBay) Auction (called "JAG") Grado PS-1, no serial number on these. The last JAG is a special one-off with chrome metal finish cups.

Mine are silver. When did you receive yours? love mine wish they were black though. I like keeping my Grados looking as stock as possible =)

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:59 PM Post #5,872 of 66,230
The advantage of the MCA gimbals is that Martin includes matching metal roadblocks with set screws which solves the rod slippage issues, especially with metal (heavy) cups. It's nice to get rid of the plastic rod blocks if upgrading gimbals.

Dec 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5,873 of 66,230
Not sure but Joe, not Grado, may be the one to work on/repair the Ps-1 and HP-1. I don't think Grado work on the HP1000 drivers.
Steve sonic should check out the HP1000 threads. There are few members who have repaired and/or upgraded their HP2s through Joe Grado.
Devouring3 and PCF and others have a wealth of knowledge on the older Grados.

PS-1 aren't a Joe can. :xf_eek: Grado would be the place to take them as well.

I had a pretty good deal for my NOS HP2 and HP1 too :p[COLOR=F0F8FF], 923 and 819 CAD respectively[/COLOR]

Question though - if Grado receives them for restoration, will they check if it's just a bad solder/connection (Koss will) instead of just replacing the drivers? I know they will recable cans, but I'm just thinking they can't be that mechanical about repairs. :xf_eek:

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #5,874 of 66,230
I have been enjoying a pair of PS 500 for quite a while. I'm also very well acquainted with almost the whole SR-series sound signature. So, I'm thinking about picking up a pair of RS1i or RS2i to complement my PS 500 with a more forward sounding Grado.

It's purely intended to listening to non- audiophile music, 90% indie/alternative music and my sources are all good, within reasons!  I do not expect and upgrade, but what can I expect in a side grade experience. Basically my question is PS 500 vs. RS1i/RS2i, would I have room for both, worth it? 

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #5,875 of 66,230
I have been enjoying a pair of PS 500 for quite a while. I'm also very well acquainted with almost the whole SR-series sound signature. So, I'm thinking about picking up a pair of RS1i or RS2i to complement my PS 500 with a more forward sounding Grado.

It's purely intended to listening to non- audiophile music, 90% indie/alternative music and my sources are all good, within reasons!  I do not expect and upgrade, but what can I expect in a side grade experience. Basically my question is PS 500 vs. RS1i/RS2i, would I have room for both, worth it? 

I can't speak to the PS, but can speak to the RS-1 against the SR series (the PS-500 and RS-2 are the ones I need to hear still); you'll gain more impact high and low, but it's smoother and more refined than the SR series (there's no "clash" unless you really push it). The bass is very tight and controlled, and fits into the relatively intimate (but 3D) soundstage perfectly. I have no idea what "indie/alternative music" means these days, but I will say that I enjoy my RS-1 with basically everything I've tried thus far. :D

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #5,876 of 66,230
Quote:
I can't speak to the PS, but can speak to the RS-1 against the SR series (the PS-500 and RS-2 are the ones I need to hear still); you'll gain more impact high and low, but it's smoother and more refined than the SR series (there's no "clash" unless you really push it). The bass is very tight and controlled, and fits into the relatively intimate (but 3D) soundstage perfectly. I have no idea what "indie/alternative music" means these days, but I will say that I enjoy my RS-1 with basically everything I've tried thus far.
biggrin.gif

The PS-500 is to my ears at least, quite a deviation from the "traditional" Grado sound. Stronger bass presentation, mids/vocals are further back, but smooth extended highs. Sounds like a HD600 doesn't it :wink:, not really.. I actually have a pair of HD 650 and they complement my PS500 in a good way. 

Anyway, I agree defining indie/alternative music is not as forward and easy to define as a pair of Grado's can sound like, but I get your point regarding comparing your RS-1 to the SR series.  Thanks!

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #5,877 of 66,230
Oh I wasn't meaning to make some commentary about music - I just have no idea what constitutes "indie music" :xf_eek:.

I think you'd like the RS-1 to be honest, but they're probably a pretty big departure from the HD 6x sound or similar - very much not laidback, they're quite radiant. A nice compliment to my ESP/950 to be honest (just like the SR-225 and HD 580 used to compliment one another).

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #5,878 of 66,230
Quote:
Oh I wasn't meaning to make some commentary about music - I just have no idea what constitutes "indie music"
redface.gif
I think you'd like the RS-1 to be honest, but they're probably a pretty big departure from the HD 6x sound or similar - very much not laidback, they're quite radiant. A nice compliment to my ESP/950 to be honest (just like the SR-225 and HD 580 used to compliment one another).

I gotcha' no problem 
wink_face.gif
 I just want to make sure, well as much is reasonable, that either RS1/RS2 is a decent upgrade from the SR 225/80 releases, retaining their qualities so they/it can complement my PS500 by not being too similar, if you get my drift.. 

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #5,879 of 66,230
I gotcha' no problem :wink_face:  I just want to make sure, well as much is reasonable, that either RS1/RS2 is a decent upgrade from the SR 225/80 releases, retaining their qualities so they/it can complement my PS500 by not being too similar, if you get my drift.. 

I don't know about the PS-500, but yes I would say the RS-1 are a considerable upgrade over the SR-225. Soundstage is the biggest difference but they have more nuanced improvements as well (and imho the best bass of any dynamic can). The RS-2 are described (and measured) to be more neutral/leveled out than the RS-1, they are also the lightest Grado which should make them one of the most comfortable options as well.

Dec 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #5,880 of 66,230
Quote:

I gotcha' no problem 
wink_face.gif
 I just want to make sure, well as much is reasonable, that either RS1/RS2 is a decent upgrade from the SR 225/80 releases, retaining their qualities so they/it can complement my PS500 by not being too similar, if you get my drift.. 

RS1 is the epitome of what the Prestige Series strives for. The sound signature really is about the same, but everything about the sound is better. As obobskivich said, the soundstage is improved, and the bass is improved (both in quantity, quality, & extension). The RS1 bass is really awesome. It will make a good complement to the PS500, as the PS500 has much more bass and less forward mids / highs than the RS1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back