Grado Fan Club!
Jun 27, 2012 at 11:02 PM Post #3,511 of 66,170
Quote:
Every time I a. Read someone call break-in, burn-in, and b, suggest it actually has a significant impact in.anything, I laugh my ass off.
Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Why would that be?

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #3,512 of 66,170
Quote:
Every time I a. Read someone call break-in, burn-in, and b, suggest it actually has a significant impact in.anything, I laugh my ass off.

I believe that as far as electronic compononents go,''break in'' probably makes no significant difference,but speakers and heaphones have to move to create sound,i would make sense to me that as the ''suspension'' settles over time,that the sound might change. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #3,513 of 66,170
Probably you have a big one, ass I mean
ksc75smile.gif

Quote:

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #3,514 of 66,170
Quote:

Based on equipment you are showing, your experience in this area appears to be limited.  You certainly aren't the only person who holds this belief.  As for me, I believe my ears.  Some cans don't change at all with burn in; others change their sound a great deal and more fall somewhere in the middle.

What I can tell you for sure is that burn in is easy to do and has never hurt any of them.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:20 AM Post #3,515 of 66,170
What I can tell you for sure is that burn in is easy to do and has never hurt any of them.

+1. Unless you're nuts and try to "speed it up" by running them loudly (you know, like trying to cook things faster by using the CLEAN cycle...(oh teenagers...and things you learn from them :blink:)).

Anyways, the more significant contribution to this thread:

devouringone, that is an awesome history time-line. I think that maybe Koss would be the only competitor in age/heritage (and they self-publish a similar history), but other than that it's absolutely awesome. I had no idea the RS headphones were so new (I thought they were released along with the Prestige line back around '93).

Oh, and after a few years of not having a Grado in the house, I finally decided to correct that, and am awaiting an RS-1. Hopefully they'll stack up against my ESPs as swimmingly as the SR-225s did against equally more expensive/"technically competent" (read: hojillions of dollars of R&D) headcans years ago. It should also be fun to compare two American giants.

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #3,516 of 66,170
Quote:
+1. Unless you're nuts and try to "speed it up" by running them loudly (you know, like trying to cook things faster by using the CLEAN cycle...(oh teenagers...and things you learn from them
blink.gif
)).
Anyways, the more significant contribution to this thread:
devouringone, that is an awesome history time-line. I think that maybe Koss would be the only competitor in age/heritage (and they self-publish a similar history), but other than that it's absolutely awesome. I had no idea the RS headphones were so new (I thought they were released along with the Prestige line back around '93).
Oh, and after a few years of not having a Grado in the house, I finally decided to correct that, and am awaiting an RS-1. Hopefully they'll stack up against my ESPs as swimmingly as the SR-225s did against equally more expensive/"technically competent" (read: hojillions of dollars of R&D) headcans years ago. It should also be fun to compare two American giants.

Listening to the Koss Porta Pro's again today - I'd have to agree - The Porta Pro's and SR60i's dish up the highest quality
 listen for under $100 - they cannot be beat
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #3,517 of 66,170
This argument is incredibly old on Headfi. Break in, does it happen? I'm a firm believer that it does. And as pointed out, the person who blurted this seems to have minimal overall headphone experience. As I myself do, I may add. Compared to the majority of people here.

And yes, Sr-60is do offer a grand detail, we are in the Grado appreciation thread, are we not? Lol. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #3,519 of 66,170
Quote:
SR-60s were shockingly good for their price - probably would've been more impressive if I'd bought them *before* buying other high-end headphones and/or if they'd been my first Grado...
redface.gif
tongue.gif

Yep, that's how it went down in my case. I wanted to get a decent pair of headphones so I bought some Sennheiser 518s. I thought maybe it was just because I have dabbled in higher end audio for a while and headphones just weren't going to cut it. But then I tried on a pair of 80s and they really captivated me. I immediately sold the 518s on Amazon and my journey began :)  

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #3,520 of 66,170
The first really good headphones anyone can buy, I believe, are Grados! Incredibly engaging. That's what the person off the street looks to. An audible highlight in the music they're listening to. Even better in a way, because they're a total secret. Again, for the average person.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #3,521 of 66,170
And for me, SR-60s were years after I got into audio and headphones, and I had heard/tried most of the other Grados out there (I owned SR-225 at the time, and had tried the 125, 325, and GS-1000 (the RS-1's I'm waiting on will be my first-ever experience with a Reference Series)) - the quite simple explanation is, I wanted to try comfy pads, and I figured why not try the least expensive Grado at the same time. I ended up gifting them away and keeping the bowls on the SR-225s after a few months of trying both out. :xf_eek:

I don't do anything conventionally. :tongue_smile:

Totally agree though, they're a fantastic exposure to hi-fi (the gift-receiver was absolutely stoked (yeah, I said stoked, wanna fight about it?)) - I still think back on the SR-225s and how well they handled themselves against cans costing twice as much. Really looking forward to what the "Masterpiece of the Grado collection" brings to the table - I'm expecting a whole lot. :gs1000smile:

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #3,522 of 66,170
I dislike burning in as it speeds up the life cycle of any product, and for headphones, it happens in the moment when the diaphragm is the most vulnerable. You need to teach it the way around your best music, at the volume levels you're usually listening to it, and the best way to do so is to assist it in the process. It won't learn much from playing back frequency swipes or pink noise to a pillow.

No manufacturer ever stated headphones needed to be broke in, I don't see why they would either. The more subtle aspect of the sound of a headphone is function of so many things, the pads becomes easier to compress, the placement of the headphone on your ears is never exactly the same, what you ate for breakfast either, and more importantly your head breaks in to the headphone, a lot!

I noticed my own head breaking in to each of the nine used Grados I have owned (which were already very broken-in, after ~5-10-15-20 years of age and many owners). That "significant impact" XanderTJ is laughing is ass off with is that same mirage, (it's entirely mental/psychogenic) in my opinion..

Headphones break in a little, but that process adds up nothing to their sound (not that you can perceive).

Quote:
+1. Unless you're nuts and try to "speed it up" by running them loudly (you know, like trying to cook things faster by using the CLEAN cycle...(oh teenagers...and things you learn from them
blink.gif
)).

Lol, nice trick, I'm a student but I didn't know about it! it's like cooking a marshmallow by lighting it up in the fire and then immediately start blowing on it to extinguish the flame that caught.

I thought exactly the same when I read the RS-1's year of introduction in that history. What we learn from that is that all of the SR1-2-300s and the SR1-2-325s sold during their first three years of existence are all older than the oldest RS-1. Vintage RS-1s are not so vintage anymore :wink:.

Woohoo I'm glad you bought one... and to realize that some older-times Head-Fiers and people are still interested in owning at least a Grado in their collection. RS-1 is also my favorite John Grado headphone even if the PS500 looks a bit more friendly.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #3,523 of 66,170
The 225's stand out as a value point and their sound will not drive off many of the treble sensitive.  They may not be favorite of everyone in their price class.  However, they stand with best of their peers and there are no cans in this group that are like them.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #3,524 of 66,170
Lol, nice trick, I'm a student but I didn't know about it! it's like cooking a marshmallow by lighting it up in the fire and then immediately start blowing on it to extinguish the flame that caught.

I was kidding - I'm so terrified that someone will try that now that I said it simply because I said it. I mean, I'll lol at the results thread without feeling guilty, but still...:basshead:

I thought exactly the same when I read the RS-1's year of introduction in that history. What we learn from that is that all of the SR1-2-300s and the SR1-2-325s sold during their first three years of existence are all older than the oldest RS-1. Vintage RS-1s are not so vintage anymore :wink:.

Haha. Yeah, my understanding was that the HP-1000 came out in the late 1980s (I didn't know the exact year, but I figured 1987-1990 era), before ESP/950, SR-LNS, and MDR-R10 (it beat 2/3 at least) - and then RS-1 came out shortly thereafter, like 1992-1993, and RS-2 was a much more recent thing (like 2000 or later). Very interesting to see it all plotted out though; makes a lot of their releases make more sense. :)

Woohoo I'm glad you bought one... and to realize that some older-times Head-Fiers and people are still interested in owning at least a Grado in their collection. RS-1 is also my favorite John Grado headphone.

Yeah, after seeing the "what headphone did you most regret selling" thread, and thinking about it, I figured why not. Hopefully I'm not expecting too much from them. :xf_eek:

Oh, since we're in the Grado thread - what amplifier do people these days like for the RS-1? "in the day" it was RA-1, MAD EAR+, and various Melos units (SHA-1, SHA-GOLD, etc); has that changed?

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #3,525 of 66,170
Hey guys,

Can someone point me in the direction of a grado headphone with a bit more thump in the rump? I love the grado sound and the open back design is great for me (I like to hear whats going on around me). So just looking to see if anyone has asked that, and if so, whats the answer.
I've got a cMoy BB (BassBoost), maybe picking up a c421 if I can ever muster up enough cash (also has BB).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back