Grado Fan Club!
Jun 25, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #3,481 of 65,931
Well, its official. I no longer own a pair of Grados. I'm sure I'll get another pair at some point, probably RS2i or 1i, but for now I'm happy with my HE-300s. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3,482 of 65,931
For anyone here pairing a Little Dot 1+ with their grados (I have the RS1i if it changes anything) is there any tube that's considered particularly good here?

I've been thinking about tube amps for a while, and still haven't found anything more appealing for low impedance cans that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (especially in Australia).  But on ebay there are a bunch of deals ranging in price for the 1+ matched with different tubes.

1. [size=12pt]6JI - ~$150 shipped[/size]
  2. [size=12pt]EF92 - [/size][size=12pt]~$180 shipped[/size]
  3. [size=12pt]WE408A - ~$210 shipped[/size]

Are these tubes considered 'good' by anyone here, or am I better off buying the stock product and spending additional money on something I can be recommended to match well with my grados?

Jun 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM Post #3,483 of 65,931
My tube guy as re-tubed hundreds of LD amps, and he suggested the AES/Telefunkens to me...I'm very happy with them and they were under $50. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM Post #3,484 of 65,931
For anyone here pairing a Little Dot 1+ with their grados (I have the RS1i if it changes anything) is there any tube that's considered particularly good here?

I've been thinking about tube amps for a while, and still haven't found anything more appealing for low impedance cans that doesn't cost an arm and a leg (especially in Australia).  But on ebay there are a bunch of deals ranging in price for the 1+ matched with different tubes.

• [SIZE=12pt]6JI - ~$150 shipped[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]EF92 -[/SIZE] [SIZE=12pt]~$180 shipped[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=12pt]WE408A - ~$210 shipped[/SIZE]

Are these tubes considered 'good' by anyone here, or am I better off buying the stock product and spending additional money on something I can be recommended to match well with my grados?

Just go with the lowest price option for the amp and order these for $12.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-Matched-Pair-RCA-60th-COMMAND-BLACK-PLATES-O-getter-5654-SQ-6AK5-EF95-TUBES-/280906552948

I bought a set and I really like them with my LD I+.

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM Post #3,486 of 65,931
Quote:
What made you go with the 300s and not the 400s or another brand altogether? 

Well I got to listen to the 300s, and decided to buy 'em right there and then. I just really like everything about them, and I had also read good things about them prior to even trying them. 

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #3,487 of 65,931
So... SR-325is or Grado RS2i? Which is more mellow, less treble heavy, and more bassier, with a more layered and airy soundstage?

Jun 26, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #3,490 of 65,931
Quote:

1. [size=12pt]6JI - ~$150 shipped[/size]
  2. [size=12pt]EF92 - [/size][size=12pt]~$180 shipped[/size]
  3. [size=12pt]WE408A - ~$210 shipped[/size]

check out the tubes in my sig, also check out the LD tube rolling thread

Jun 26, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #3,491 of 65,931
Quote:
So... SR-325is or Grado RS2i? Which is more mellow, less treble heavy, and more bassier, with a more layered and airy soundstage?

Quote:

Out of those two the RS2i would be closer to your description.  The PS500 even more so.

That's probably pretty accurate. I havent heard the headphones referenced by Austin, but I have owned the MS2i, and currently own a woodied 225, and an HF2. I've also spent some time with an MS Pro, and a woodied Magnum build. The difference between the 325 versus the HF2 or the PS500 is the wood driver housings in the HF2 and PS500, versus the plastic driver housing in the 325. So in terms of the original question, I think if someone is looking for a signature that has a nice tone and timbre, and doesnt have a hot treble, a wooden Grado is the way to go. That would include the aluminum shelled Grados with wood driver housings. The best bang for your buck just might be a Magnum build with some custom made wood cups (must see). Cost wise I think you can probably put one together for around $350 to $400.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #3,492 of 65,931
Quote:

Out of those two the RS2i would be closer to your description.  The PS500 even more so.

You read my mind,the PS500 are definately worth considering.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #3,493 of 65,931
Quote:

You read my mind,the PS500 are definately worth considering.

I'll be reviewing the PS500 in a few months and may consider it as a final purchase option down the road, but I'm mainly looking at the the SR325is and the RS2i, maybe the RS1i if I can find the cash.

RS2i it is then.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:26 AM Post #3,494 of 65,931
Quote:
Well... I'll soon be able to see how my PS500's compare to... the PS1000's, which are "on they're way."  

We'll see...

Got them... 

The PS1000's are definitely a step up - more realistic, bigger soundstage, greater resolution, more detail and clarity, bigger / bolder sound.  More air and space around instruments and musicians.  All of this gives a sense of a larger, less compact / less compressed venue.  All frequencies sound more layered, with greater definition - so that cymbals and drums have a more textured / complex sound with more realism.  You hear the primary initial strike of the drum stick (attack), coupled with the shimmer and decay immediately following the initial impact.  These distinct complex sounds are clearly discernable with the PS1000's - a bit less so, with the PS500's.  

The result improves size, complexity and realism of the sound.  But, also makes the sound a bit less immediate and more diffuse.  

Which type of sound you prefer, will likely depend on what type of music you listen to, primarily.  You'll probably prefer the PS1000's with larger works and venues and more complex music - symphonies, and orchestras in large music halls, live outdoor concerts, etc.... and... the PS500's with smaller works and venues with less complex music - such as chamber music, jazz clubs, studio performances, etc.

Both have superb bass and treble with no stridency that is observed by some in some of the Grados.

Jun 27, 2012 at 2:43 AM Post #3,495 of 65,931
Quote:

Got them... 

The PS1000's are definitely a step up - more realistic, bigger soundstage, greater resolution, more detail and clarity, bigger / bolder sound.  More air and space around instruments and musicians.  All of this gives a sense of a larger, less compact / less compressed venue.  All frequencies sound more layered, with greater definition - so that cymbals and drums have a more textured / complex sound with more realism.  You hear the primary initial strike of the drum stick (attack), coupled with the shimmer and decay immediately following the initial impact.  These distinct complex sounds are clearly discernable with the PS1000's - a bit less so, with the PS500's.  

The result improves size, complexity and realism of the sound.  But, also makes the sound a bit less immediate and more diffuse.  

Which type of sound you prefer, will likely depend on what type of music you listen to, primarily.  You'll probably prefer the PS1000's with larger works and venues and more complex music - symphonies, and orchestras in large music halls, live outdoor concerts, etc.... and... the PS500's with smaller works and venues with less complex music - such as chamber music, jazz clubs, studio performances, etc.

Both have superb bass and treble with no stridency that is observed by some in some of the Grados.

Fair to say the PS1000's will stay in your personal collection then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back