Grado Fan Club!
Dec 16, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #1,456 of 66,038

Quote:
I have no idea why your adding bowels to your headphones and I'm afraid to ask
blink.gif

Anyway all wood makes for a lighter more comfortable headphone. The driver housing of the HF2 runs the full length of the inner cup, so essentially you are getting the tone and timbre of the wood I would think.

The padded ones that come on the SR80i are very uncomfortable. And, I want something that goes around my head, not on it.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #1,457 of 66,038
bowls. bowels hold poop

Quote:
The padded ones that come on the SR80i are very uncomfortable. And, I want something that goes around my head, not on it.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:25 PM Post #1,459 of 66,038
My first audiophile grade cans are the SR-80i, so I have been a Grado fan from the start. Although you aren't suppose to use it outside of the house, my SR-80i is used for my portable rig; however I don't turn up the volume too high so the people next to me can't listen in. Unfortunately I have ventured out and bought an HD600, but my next cans would be either a PS500 or an RS1i.  Long live Grado !

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #1,460 of 66,038

Quote:
I was referring to the way you spelled bowls. I was poking a little fun at your typo.

+1 on the bowls though.

Haha. My bad. Please excuse my typo. Bowels. Seems like a perfect match, haha!

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #1,461 of 66,038

Quote:
I've listened to nothing but sr80is for 2 years, then upgraditis kicked in and I purchased the DT880s and HD650s. Neither of them could compare to my lowly sr80i IMO.

What means by this?

They all have traits they surpass eachother, I guess its just what you were looking for in your music.

Dec 17, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #1,462 of 66,038

Quote:
I have no idea why your adding bowels to your headphones and I'm afraid to ask
blink.gif

Anyway all wood makes for a lighter more comfortable headphone. The driver housing of the HF2 runs the full length of the inner cup, so essentially you are getting the tone and timbre of the wood I would think.

Hahaha, he meant bowl pads, but thats hilarious :D

Jan 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #1,464 of 66,038

Quote:
My first audiophile grade cans are the SR-80i, so I have been a Grado fan from the start. Although you aren't suppose to use it outside of the house, my SR-80i is used for my portable rig; however I don't turn up the volume too high so the people next to me can't listen in. Unfortunately I have ventured out and bought an HD600, but my next cans would be either a PS500 or an RS1i.  Long live Grado !

My first good cans were the 80is! And I have also ventured a little astray from Gradoland. I got some HE-300s for Christmas. I love them, and they seem to be improving nicely over time (I'm a burn in believer), but there is something special about the 225is that the HE-300 is missing. As you said... LONG LIVE GRADO! 

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:01 PM Post #1,465 of 66,038
So this is kind of a bummer. I've been hunting for an RA1 to serve as a vinyl-station amplifier for a few weeks, and had absolutely no luck. That's odd in New York, where anyone who carries higher end Grados (aka every good audio store) would have a few. 

I finally managed to get one near Harvard Square in Boston during my vacation, but only because I managed to talk an awesome store-owner out of a floor model. 

He confirmed my suspicions... the maker of the amplifiers at Grado Labs is very sick and hasn't been able to make any recently. I believe it to be John Chapais, and hope that he gets better soon.

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #1,466 of 66,038
Yikes! I hope he gets better too! I've always wanted to hear an RA1, but unfortunately haven't had the privilege to. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #1,467 of 66,038
It's got an undeservedly bad reputation, either from listening to a bad match (it doesn't sound great with anything other than a Grado) or a lousy clone. 

Quote:
Yikes! I hope he gets better too! I've always wanted to hear an RA1, but unfortunately haven't had the privilege to. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #1,468 of 66,038

Quote:
So this is kind of a bummer. I've been hunting for an RA1 to serve as a vinyl-station amplifier for a few weeks, and had absolutely no luck. That's odd in New York, where anyone who carries higher end Grados (aka every good audio store) would have a few. 

I finally managed to get one near Harvard Square in Boston during my vacation, but only because I managed to talk an awesome store-owner out of a floor model. 

He confirmed my suspicions... the maker of the amplifiers at Grado Labs is very sick and hasn't been able to make any recently. I believe it to be John Chapais, and hope that he gets better soon.

I hope he gets better too. All the best John.

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #1,469 of 66,038
Hey there, first time posting here.

I've been a long time Grado fan, but have only used the SR60 and SR80i. After this Christmas, I have extra money to finally make the big jump to a higher end headphone. But I'm torn between the SR325i and PS500. 

I've heard people complain about the 325i's being too shrill. And I know the PS500's are fairly new. The responses I've read on various forums have been mixed. Basically, if the PS500's are more balanced and warm than the 325i, I think I'll like it more. Any suggestions/advice that would help me make up my mind would be appreciated! 

Jan 2, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #1,470 of 66,038

Quote:
Hey there, first time posting here.

I've been a long time Grado fan, but have only used the SR60 and SR80i. After this Christmas, I have extra money to finally make the big jump to a higher end headphone. But I'm torn between the SR325i and PS500. 

I've heard people complain about the 325i's being too shrill. And I know the PS500's are fairly new. The responses I've read on various forums have been mixed. Basically, if the PS500's are more balanced and warm than the 325i, I think I'll like it more. Any suggestions/advice that would help me make up my mind would be appreciated! 

A set of used HF-2s would be a great choice IMO too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back