Grado Fan Club!
Apr 7, 2024 at 1:24 PM Post #65,266 of 66,170
Gapless playing of CD's is a must have for me. Looks like a decent piece of gear, but because of my strong views about gapless, it's a hard pass.
I don't think it's a "strong view" so much as a basic expectation. The data stream on the disc itself is a single continuous PCM signal, and the track divisions only exist in metadata recorded in the table of contents. If the player is producing one or more samples of silence between each track instead of zero samples of silence, that's something the player is inventing from whole cloth that's not there in the disc at all. Such a player would not be eligible for the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo because it is not compliant with the Red Book.

Continuous playback was a solved problem from day one with the CDP-101. Players that introduce silence between tracks are doing something very strange and there is no reason to accept them.

Apr 7, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #65,267 of 66,170
I don't think it's a "strong view" so much as a basic expectation. The data stream on the disc itself is a single continuous PCM signal, and the track divisions only exist in metadata recorded in the table of contents. If the player is producing one or more samples of silence between each track instead of zero samples of silence, that's something the player is inventing from whole cloth that's not there in the disc at all. Such a player would not be eligible for the "Compact Disc Digital Audio" logo because it is not compliant with the Red Book.

Continuous playback was a solved problem from day one with the CDP-101. Players that introduce silence between tracks are doing something very strange and there is no reason to accept them.
In the Shanling EC Mini case, they are not using a Redbook CDT. I'm not even sure that anyone currently manufactures CD audio Redbook CDT. The vast majority of newly produced, reasonable cost CDT are actually data CD transports. The Shanling ET3 is "gapless" but not really gapless. There is apparently an imperceptible pause. I've not heard it. But, Shanling states it is there. Phillips and Sanyo are the main players in CDT and laser pickup market now for quality players and they aren't Redbook CDTs.

It's shocking what was taken for granted 20 years ago is now a challenge and the norm. I have a Discman from 1994 that I use with my portable setup for truly gapless performance. Unfortunately if you want a new CDT in 2024, you'll have to accept it being non gapless potentially.

Apr 7, 2024 at 4:02 PM Post #65,268 of 66,170
YES! Without question! I have both the GS2000e and the current flagship, GS3000x. I prefer the GE2000e, as to me it is brighter and more spacious while having good bass. However, there are several who discount the GS2000e as having a “wonky” response, so I may be in the minority or off in left field. I also have the Grado “forever” flagship, the PS2000e, which I would place ahead of both.

Oh, and I have 22 other Grados! See my signature for a link to comparison of some.
+1 The GS2ke have had little appreciation on this thread. However, I do like them with acoustic jaz etc. Also I use them with ifi Pro iCan where the Xbass adds just the extra oomph if/when needed. So I agree with the recommendation (disclaimer: while having several Grados, I do not own the GS3000x to compare with)

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #65,269 of 66,170
Congrats on your new RS325x and welcome to the club.
I do not believe in burning headphones. I never burned any of my headphones. I think that would be a shame to do.
A shame it would be but if you’re in a hurry a torch or convenient barn fire 🔥 should leave no evidence of the crime.

I guess that can be convenient if you don’t want to have too many.

Apr 7, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #65,270 of 66,170
IMG_7748.jpeg

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #65,271 of 66,170
It's hard to track the burn in process if you frequently use another hp.
I find it easier if i don't check on the burning in headphone all the time. Let's say i get a new Grado and i am not impressed. I let it run for 100 hours and then i like it. Can't be brain burn-in then and the change is easier to spot this way.

Apr 8, 2024 at 4:50 AM Post #65,273 of 66,170
I find it easier if i don't check on the burning in headphone all the time. Let's say i get a new Grado and i am not impressed. I let it run for 100 hours and then i like it. Can't be brain burn-in then and the change is easier to spot this way.
Hm, I’m quite sure it’s still the brain after all: your expectations change as the brain adapts. It plays such tricks on us all the time…

Apr 8, 2024 at 6:31 AM Post #65,274 of 66,170
I do it the same way. My GH4 was unlistenable brand new out of the box. After 100 hours it was a completely different headphone. On the other hand, SR325x was great from the start and didn’t change much. Burn in is a normal process in headphones and speakers.

Apr 8, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #65,275 of 66,170
I do it the same way. My GH4 was unlistenable brand new out of the box. After 100 hours it was a completely different headphone. On the other hand, SR325x was great from the start and didn’t change much. Burn in is a normal process in headphones and speakers.
And a good number of electronics also benefit from time played.

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:28 AM Post #65,277 of 66,170
Pesky brain, always starting trouble.
🥺
Oh yes… nothing can be trusted :wink:
Kant wrote extensively about that problem, that we only see projections of things but never the things themselves (in German „das Ding an sich“). And I think he really has a point.
But the real trouble starts after receiving some signal when the brain starts interpreting it… expectation bias et al.
The good thing is though that enjoyment is not limited to cases which are properly explained — maybe even the other way round… there’s still no accepted theory of emotions that I know of

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #65,278 of 66,170
Hm, I’m quite sure it’s still the brain after all: your expectations change as the brain adapts. It plays such tricks on us all the time…
Sorry, that's really not my experience. I already expect every new Grado to sound great and surprise me when i unpack them. But in most cases they're not right there yet. Why does my brain trick me into not liking them initially? I usually have them running 24/7 for a week without listening to them and most Grados sound better after that. Some never get really better, like the White or the 80X.

It has happened too often to not be something real.

But everyone who cannot notice such differences can consider himself lucky as the process is annoying.

Apr 8, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #65,280 of 66,170
I have had the chance to compare a PS1000 with around 500 hours on and brand new one with 0 hours each other.

The difference in sound was immense. Especially in bass and groundtone...
Which one did you like?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back