Grado Fan Club!
Apr 3, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #65,192 of 65,973
I really have a hard time going to bed these days...

IMG_4063.jpeg
And after doing my kneading of the cable for two days (OK, not around the clock) it starts to feel more like a cable and less like a stick.

lol what's the method of cable kneading? I have a few stiff X series cables and that def seems like something that needs to be done.

Apr 3, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #65,193 of 65,973
Yeah I always like a session with the F
Grado seem to have used the same naming system for their pads as that for the NYC subway lines.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #65,194 of 65,973
also. Is it recommended to purchase a portable AMP DAC to enjoy the headphones more?
I've been using the SR325X cans for a month now. This is my first experience with Grado cans and I will say that I have been absolutely loving them. Anyway with my very limited experience I have found that while they work surprisingly well just plugged into the Apple dongle for my iPhone they really are very much better with a separate DAC/amp.

The DAC/amps I've used them with are my portable iFi Audio iDSD Gryphon (cost well over twice the price of the Grados) and my Meridian Prime headphone amp which has a separate power supply (total cost nearly six times that of the SR325X). Both are more than is necessary actually, I'm using them because I have them, but the SR325X cans sound really great with both of these.

If I didn't have any DAC/amps already and wanted something portable I think maybe something like the iFi Audio Hip DAC 3 might be really good with them, but I haven't tried it, I am just thinking that as my Gryphon is really good with them then maybe that the Hip DAC would be.

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #65,195 of 65,973
lol what's the method of cable kneading? I have a few stiff X series cables and that def seems like something that needs to be done.
A few inches at a time, holding with both hands, twist the cable around its axis left and right repeatedly .... work your way towards the headphone jack. This over time will loosen the cable braid - yet not make the cable prone to kinks (which are the bane of the older, thinner, smooth cables).

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #65,196 of 65,973
I love my Grado SR125x headphones with my DragonFly Black v1.5. I use them as portable phones with the DragonFly out of my phone. At home I usually use other headphones but my Grados are the best sounding headphones for portable use that I've found.

Apr 4, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #65,198 of 65,973
I've been using my SR225x's when I take a walk. What a nice treat.
I prefer listening to music inside my home. When I go outside I prefer to listen to the birds and I like to visit forests, parcs and calm places. And I do not recommend riding a bike with earplugs/headphones. I am also trying to live healthy (blueprint protocol - longevity) to try to stay young and don't die at - 100 years of age. So I can enjoy the Grado headphones for a very very long time. Of course you never know when you are going to die but at least you can try to don't die.

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #65,199 of 65,973
Hi, I recomend you getting the grado G pads they are 50$ which is a little expensive but they make your grado much more comfortable and also boost the bass a and a little extra soundstage.

https://gradolabs.com/products/grado-headphone-replacement-cushion-g

Or you can get them on Aliexpress for about 3 euros but they are more uncorfortable and may sound worse.

Here are the ones i have.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100...order_list.order_list_main.118.23641802L0KGMY

You could also get Nyczaj pads which are very comfortable.

https://www.nyczaj.audio/product-page/nyczaj-earpads-for-Grado-headphones

Also there are the Beutiful audio earpads which i don't know a lot about but many people love these.

https://www.beautifulaudio.biz/products
hey thanks for the answer!

you have this and its good for 325x?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005589733626.html?spm=a2g0o.best.0.0.3f562c25sQsPVm&mp=1

what you think about this?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005221801346.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.574c38daHy8ylC&mp=1

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #65,200 of 65,973
I wouldn't recomend those... I have something similiar and it ruins the sound of my SR325x, makes it woofy, muddy, dark and just unenjoyeble.

If you don't like the comfort of your original F pads i would recomend getting what i already recomended. :ksc75smile:

Feel free to ask any question if needed.:)

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:28 AM Post #65,201 of 65,973
I've been using my SR225x's when I take a walk. What a nice treat.
I found it that my grados don't hold that well on my head... when I make them clamp more then my ear wold hurt, when I don't clamp them that hard they are pretty comfortable but they fall off easily as i mostly look down when Im walking. Of course this is beucase of there on ear design when I use something like the G pad they don't fall of.

Apr 4, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #65,202 of 65,973
Apr 4, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #65,203 of 65,973
Hello friends,
I switched from HIFIMAN sundara to GRADO 325X - a pleasure.

Which pads are recommended to buy for them that will be more comfortable and have better hearing? I've seen all kinds on AliExpress...I'd love a link

also. Is it recommended to purchase a portable AMP DAC to enjoy the headphones more?
Most of my music is ethnic instruments (flute, acoustic guitar, piano) so I'm looking for the thrill
Hi there sorry bit late only just spotted your question about portable amps. Well like you already know all grado are pretty easy to run from phones. Audio players. But I do use a couple myself , mainly because the player is a bit loud even on low volume settings. So I then can use headphone out or Line out (. Very high volume). But then I can choose low gain & volume on portable amps. So I'm still using my old mint. Topping NX1 . And Fiio E11K. Both good and cheap . But hard to get new now. If you want a cheap not Bluetooth amp just try the £20. ISH ones from Amazon and send back if no good. These are only 3.5,mm input jacks by the way , not 4mm or balanced.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #65,204 of 65,973
I found it that my grados don't hold that well on my head... when I make them clamp more then my ear wold hurt, when I don't clamp them that hard they are pretty comfortable but they fall off easily as i mostly look down when Im walking. Of course this is beucase of there on ear design when I use something like the G pad they don't fall of.
I'm using the L pads with the 225x's and they stay put and are comfortable.

Apr 4, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #65,205 of 65,973
.... or die trying .... 🤪
People who like Grado (or just headfi people) are really nice and funny 😀. I never received so many likes and comments on other forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back