Grado Fan Club!
Mar 4, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #64,696 of 65,854
Balanced seems interesting. Shame everything I own is single ended. So I doubt I'll ever take the dive.

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #64,697 of 65,854
I'm using the V222 for the last month or so, coming from the Jot2. Feeding it via Roon (USB to Yggy). I've tried the combo with RS1x, RS1e (bal), Hemp, 325x and I must say that all of the Grado's I've listened to sound substantially better than the same setup with the Jot2. Some may say get the V202 if you only use SE connections. I say:

1) You may have other non-Grado H/A's which are balanced
2) You may decide to reterminate the Grado with Balanced connectors
3) Your taste in headphones may change over the upcoming years. Getting the V222 now protects you for any changes in your listening habits.

Get the V222 is what I would (did) do.

Good luck!

Leo
Yes the 3rd point is why i am considering the v222. As nice as Hagerman tuba is for grado , its not powerful for some planar.

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #64,698 of 65,854
First off, hello everyone. I’ve been reading for a while and just joined today. I have a specific question and thought it a good time to officially join the community.

I currently am using a pair of Grado SR80X and I love them! I can afford to buy a pair of SR125X and keep the 80’s as a backup. I won’t have enough to go any higher than the 125’s.

Is it worth buying the 125’s? I’ve read much to prove the case to do so, but just as much not to do it. A little confusing.

Any suggestions from the experts?

Thanks!

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #64,699 of 65,854
First off, hello everyone. I’ve been reading for a while and just joined today. I have a specific question and thought it a good time to officially join the community.

I currently am using a pair of Grado SR80X and I love them! I can afford to buy a pair of SR125X and keep the 80’s as a backup. I won’t have enough to go any higher than the 125’s.

Is it worth buying the 125’s? I’ve read much to prove the case to do so, but just as much not to do it. A little confusing.

Thanks!
keep enjoying your sr80x until you manage to save enough for sr325x

Mar 4, 2024 at 6:53 PM Post #64,700 of 65,854
I'm using the V222 for the last month or so, coming from the Jot2. Feeding it via Roon (USB to Yggy). I've tried the combo with RS1x, RS1e (bal), Hemp, 325x and I must say that all of the Grado's I've listened to sound substantially better than the same setup with the Jot2. Some may say get the V202 if you only use SE connections. I say:

1) You may have other non-Grado H/A's which are balanced
2) You may decide to reterminate the Grado with Balanced connectors
3) Your taste in headphones may change over the upcoming years. Getting the V222 now protects you for any changes in your listening habits.

Get the V222 is what I would (did) do.

Good luck!

Leo
☑️ .... PS .... "and 🫵 tell 'em that Leo sent you!" 🤣

Mar 5, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #64,703 of 65,854
** No coincidence that I have 10 Grados and 10 ZMFs .... 🤷🏻‍♂️

** No coincidence that I have 10 Grados and 10 ZMFs .... 🤷🏻‍♂️
oh, now I know what balanced means. Can you help on what single ended means? Maybe 20 pair of Koss phones?

What happens with Balanced when you lean to one side?

Mar 5, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #64,704 of 65,854
** Most are. Some have 1/4" TRS as standard, with 4-pin XLR as added $ option. For example, GS3000x (XLR): 30C10D56-8E4E-4702-8241-A21AE0F7239D.jpeg[with Audiophile Ninja XLR --> TRS adapter]
Unfortunately, only the expensive Grado's offer an xlr option. I am happy I can reterminate the cable to xlr now. There is no need for me to buy beautifulaudio Grado adapters anymore and pay expensive import duties!

Mar 5, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #64,705 of 65,854

Thanks!
Think about buying a used pair that fits in your budget. My first pair of Grados was a used pair of SR 225x's that I bought off of eBay. Had them for over a year and they're still going strong. I use them almost daily when I go for a walk.

Mar 5, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #64,706 of 65,854
Think about buying a used pair that fits in your budget. My first pair of Grados was a used pair of SR 225x's that I bought off of eBay. Had them for over a year and they're still going strong. I use them almost daily when I go for a walk.
Used SR225e are also worth considering, I prefer them to the SR325e. The sonic and musical improvement over the SR80e is very significant and easily worth the cost to me.

I haven't heard the SR225X but reviews indicate that they are broadly comparable, some even prefer the SR225e - which is great as the used price could be better as it's discontinued. A Grado classic IMO (the other Grado classic in my opinion is the sadly discontinued GR10e IEM, which I think is the best value Grado for overall musicality, although I don't want to wear any IEM all the time for comfort reasons).

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #64,707 of 65,854
Yesterday I received another entry on my growing collection, a used PS2000e found its way to me. Its a bit more used than I anticipated from the photos, and the right side came loose (i.e. the headband detached from the gimbal holder) when I took it out of its box. But after refitting it it seems to hold up. And the most important thing: it works.

Yes, its heavy and shaking my head to vigorously might not be a good idea. Yet comfort is really good, the wide headband works well (and the G-pads are nice as always). Overall I don't really feel its weight.

I've so far only compared it a bit to my most recent addition, the PS500x. The PS2000e is a bit more quiet (which is to be expected given the different pads and their influence I noticed in the past), offers a bit smoother treble and less bass. Bass on the PS500x is quite a thing actually, very nice. Not earth shattering, but still acceptable extension and drive.
The most striking difference is how the PS500x makes something sound denser for lack of a better word, while the PS2000x makes parts of the music stand apart more, leaving more air in between. It sounds a bit less busy, more relaxed. Voices are really something on them.
Its bass presentation is still a bit of a let down, I'd have hoped for a bit more extension, but it offers good resolution and clear separation. Will be interesting to compare against the GS3000x, which I hope to be able to do on Thursday or Friday.

IMG_3665.jpegIMG_3664.jpeg

Mar 5, 2024 at 10:45 AM Post #64,708 of 65,854
I'm using the V222 for the last month or so, coming from the Jot2. Feeding it via Roon (USB to Yggy). I've tried the combo with RS1x, RS1e (bal), Hemp, 325x and I must say that all of the Grado's I've listened to sound substantially better than the same setup with the Jot2.

That’s super interesting and comes very timely as I’ve been toying with the idea of exchanging my DHA V590² Pro for a V281 or V222 or try the Schiit range of amps, with the Jot2 being the top of the list…

Been listening to DCAs almost exclusively over the last 3 weeks (ending up with an E3), but then took out my GH2 again yesterday - and was immediately reminded why this one blew me away so thoroughly when I first got it. Nothing like you first (Grado) love 🤎

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #64,709 of 65,854
Yesterday I received another entry on my growing collection, a used PS2000e found its way to me. Its a bit more used than I anticipated from the photos, and the right side came loose (i.e. the headband detached from the gimbal holder) when I took it out of its box. But after refitting it it seems to hold up. And the most important thing: it works.

Yes, its heavy and shaking my head to vigorously might not be a good idea. Yet comfort is really good, the wide headband works well (and the G-pads are nice as always). Overall I don't really feel its weight.

I've so far only compared it a bit to my most recent addition, the PS500x. The PS2000e is a bit more quiet (which is to be expected given the different pads and their influence I noticed in the past), offers a bit smoother treble and less bass. Bass on the PS500x is quite a thing actually, very nice. Not earth shattering, but still acceptable extension and drive.
The most striking difference is how the PS500x makes something sound denser for lack of a better word, while the PS2000x makes parts of the music stand apart more, leaving more air in between. It sounds a bit less busy, more relaxed. Voices are really something on them.
Its bass presentation is still a bit of a let down, I'd have hoped for a bit more extension, but it offers good resolution and clear separation. Will be interesting to compare against the GS3000x, which I hope to be able to do on Thursday or Friday.

Looking forward to read the comparison! Take your time. The Ps2000e really sounds different compared to the other Grado's I own. It would be easy for me to pick out which one is the Ps2000e on a blind hearing test (without the weight).

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #64,710 of 65,854
Balanced seems interesting. Shame everything I own is single ended. So I doubt I'll ever take the dive.
... balanced topology may be interesting but it is not everything. Balanced topology itself is no guarantee of great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back