Grado Fan Club!
Aug 6, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #62,056 of 65,916
Yeah do keep in mind as well that it can take up to a week or more of listening for those Grado buds to start breaking in. My 10e’s sounded pretty bad out of the box for a while. Then zham! It was awesome.
The distortion was baaaad. If I could turn back the hands of time by R Kelly once the bass kicked in was just pure noise assaulting my eardrums like static on a tv

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #62,058 of 65,916
The distortion was baaaad. If I could turn back the hands of time by R Kelly once the bass kicked in was just pure noise assaulting my eardrums like static on a tv
Shouldn't there be warranty on both GR8s?

And it's very common that the beginner's model of something only costs 10% of the top of the line model while achieving 90% of its performance. And that has nothing to do with some faulty in-ears. You should talk to the vendor and contact Grado again. After all i have read on here they have a very good customer support.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #62,059 of 65,916
Unfortunately, I'm now stepping away from Grado products. Bought the original GR8 new and sealed. Cable buzzing, bass falls apart with R&B tracks. High distortion. Thought it might've been a faulty unit. Tried from multiple sources. Bought the GR8e, arrived today. Exactly the same thing. Both from overseas vendors. £600 down the drain. Contacted Grado for an explanation and to express my disappointment, no reply. Severely gutted. And in all truth, you get 90% of the sound from the SR80 as you would say the GS3000x. Tiny, incremental upgrades that really aren't worth the exorbitant jump in price. I'd advise people to keep their money in their pockets and not to upgrade. Stay happy with the SR80 or move to a company with a decent R&D department if you want to spend a lot. The different designs, shapes, materials etc don't make a damn difference. It's just new. Much like the general public flocking for the latest iPhones every year, that's what attracts us. It's all snake oil. I think the *no marketing* strategy is excellent. Like Rolex, we think they must be better because they don't need to advertise. The SR80s to an audiophile is like crack to an addict. You like the high but you get used to it and then you're told there's a bigger high to be had, spend more money thinking you're gonna get a better high but actually in reality it's still just the same crack in a different shape and colour.

The KPH40 for the fraction of the price of the SR80 still astounds me. One of the best price to performance... Screw it. One of the best headphones I've heard in my life.

Before anyone argues, I'm not a hater. I really wanted to love this independently owned family run business with a rich history who hand makes their headphones, especially now in a world overrun with corporations and conglomerates. I love the GH2. But is it worth £400 more than the SR80? Hell no. Wish I never bought the SR80e seven years ago recommended by a store clerk at Richer Sounds. How much money I would've saved through the years. I like Grado, really. But their higher end products really aren't and never will be worth their asking prices.

Bye guys. You've all been very fun, interesting and friendly!
Bye 😐

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #62,061 of 65,916
Shouldn't there be warranty on both GR8s?

And it's very common that the beginner's model of something only costs 10% of the top of the line model while achieving 90% of its performance. And that has nothing to do with some faulty in-ears. You should talk to the vendor and contact Grado again. After all i have read on here they have a very good customer support.
Not gonna lie, I'm not short of money and I can't be bothered running around contacting overseas vendors then international shippers and having to pay large shipping fees for the returns of extremely bad products which for the price should've been very good products. I've put them both in the bin where they belong. Surprised John Grado attached his family name to them. Awful.

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #62,064 of 65,916
I'm 2 years sober. (Yeah me).
I used to make "emotional" posts late on a Sunday night on all sorts of message boards.

Just an observation.

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #62,066 of 65,916
Run them off a fm radio for a few days then try them
Oppo PM3 and PM1 incoming gonna give those a go. Had the sennheiser 660s2 before buying the GS3000x. listening balanced with the ifi diablo, they were ok. However when lots of instruments came in they felt very busy and crowded. The GS3000x was miles better than the 660s2. Instrument separation was great. I long for more bass impact though.

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #62,067 of 65,916
I'm so sorry for your horrible experience, not the usual one.

I do take issue that the SR80's give almost the same experience as the GS3000x though.
I read all the time about how the SR60's and SR80's give almost the same experience as the
high end ones.

I was amazed how huge a jump it was to go from the SR80e to the SR225e. Nothing
subtle about it, I'd say that for me the SR225e is well worth the price. Once I had them
I no longer used the SR80e's, gave them away.

The difference from the SR225e to the GR10e is for me also a very large
jump. I would say that for me the GR10e's
are close enough to the GS1000i's refinement and overall musicality that if
I hadn't already bought the GS years earlier I might have
been happy with the GR10e's and not wanted the GS. Then again,
IEM's are great but I appreciate the comfort of over the ears, as opposed to in-ears.
I love all three Grado's, but think that perhaps the very best value in the Grado line for my use
are the GR10e's. If I had to keep just one pair, they would be it, point of
diminishing returns in musicality for this enthusiast.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #62,068 of 65,916
Unfortunately, I'm now stepping away from Grado products. Bought the original GR8 new and sealed. Cable buzzing, bass falls apart with R&B tracks. High distortion. Thought it might've been a faulty unit. Tried from multiple sources. Bought the GR8e, arrived today. Exactly the same thing. Both from overseas vendors. £600 down the drain. Contacted Grado for an explanation and to express my disappointment, no reply. Severely gutted. And in all truth, you get 90% of the sound from the SR80 as you would say the GS3000x. Tiny, incremental upgrades that really aren't worth the exorbitant jump in price. I'd advise people to keep their money in their pockets and not to upgrade. Stay happy with the SR80 or move to a company with a decent R&D department if you want to spend a lot. The different designs, shapes, materials etc don't make a damn difference. It's just new. Much like the general public flocking for the latest iPhones every year, that's what attracts us. It's all snake oil. I think the *no marketing* strategy is excellent. Like Rolex, we think they must be better because they don't need to advertise. The SR80s to an audiophile is like crack to an addict. You like the high but you get used to it and then you're told there's a bigger high to be had, spend more money thinking you're gonna get a better high but actually in reality it's still just the same crack in a different shape and colour.

The KPH40 for the fraction of the price of the SR80 still astounds me. One of the best price to performance... Screw it. One of the best headphones I've heard in my life.

Before anyone argues, I'm not a hater. I really wanted to love this independently owned family run business with a rich history who hand makes their headphones, especially now in a world overrun with corporations and conglomerates. I love the GH2. But is it worth £400 more than the SR80? Hell no. Wish I never bought the SR80e seven years ago recommended by a store clerk at Richer Sounds. How much money I would've saved through the years. I like Grado, really. But their higher end products really aren't and never will be worth their asking prices.

Bye guys. You've all been very fun, interesting and friendly!
… always a person-by-person assessment; yours is valid for you.
… should we expect a ‘posting’ name change from you? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:18 PM Post #62,069 of 65,916
I'm so sorry for your horrible experience, not the usual one.

I do take issue that the SR80's give almost the same experience as the GS3000x though.
I read all the time about how the SR60's and SR80's give almost the same experience as the
high end ones.

I was amazed how huge a jump it was to go from the SR80e to the SR225e. Nothing
subtle about it, I'd say that for me the SR225e is worth the price. Once I had them
I no longer used the SR80e's, gave them away.

The difference from the SR225e to the GR10e is for me also a very large
jump. I would say that for me the GR10e's
are close enough to the GS1000i's refinement and overall musicality that if
I hadn't already bought the GS years earlier I might have
been happy with the GR10e's. Then again, IEM's are great but I appreciate
the comfort of over the ears, as opposed to in-ears. I love all three Grado's,
but think that perhaps the very best value in the Grado line for my use
are the GR10e's. If I had to keep just one pair, they would be it.
I hope they still have them in stock next couple of months I have a perfect player picked out for them. I miss mine. Have some alternate slightly larger silicone tips picked out for them I think it will work out for me fine this time. Sound was great though. Fit didn’t work it for me with stock tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back