Grado Fan Club!
Jul 5, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #61,501 of 65,854
An added benefit; and please call me insane for mentioning this. Because the Nyczaj Audio hardware is of non-resonant material, has more mass, and holds the earcups more securely than does the ‘stock’ hardware, the sound from the earcups is more ‘direct’, ‘firmer’, more ‘focused’. [ I have heard this with ‘1888’, PS500e, RS1 (wooden button), RS1x.]
Very much agree with that assessment. Waiting and looking very much forward to receiving my new gimbals for the RS1X (have them already for the GH2 and Hemps). PS I have chosen the "short" version as they seem to be more "adjustable" and are very light... :o2smile:

Jul 5, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #61,502 of 65,854
PXL_20230705_193047989.jpg

Picked these boys up a few weeks ago and have some thoughts.

They're ok. Not good, not bad, just ok.
There's a buzzing in the right ear cup that sounds like the diaphragm smacking against the back of the driver which is incredibly annoying, and they don't sound nearly as open and wide as my pair of 60xs. However, I could comfortably listen to any genre with these. The tuning is very nice, far enough from neutral to be fun but close enough to be versatile. Pads are... Ok? If I hold them a little bit further from my head, they sound significantly wider and clearer, so thicker pads would have been much better. I can't seem to stretch any other grado pads on them though, other than L and F pads but those don't really help the sound at all.

Another nit pick other than the sound is the fact that it takes an unusually long time to turn them on and off. Not sure why, and it doesn't really matter too much but still annoying.

These have been out for a while so my opinions are probably obsolete but I figured why not share anyway.

Are the buzzing problems normal or should I contact support? On top of that are their any better pads for these?

Jul 5, 2023 at 3:53 PM Post #61,503 of 65,854
I'm floored by the GS3000x straight out of the box. Don't even feel like I have to burn these in.
PXL_20230705_193047989.jpg

There's a buzzing in the right ear cup that sounds like the diaphragm smacking against the back of the driver which is incredibly annoying, and they don't sound nearly as open and wide as my pair of 60xs. However, I could comfortably listen to any genre with these. The tuning is very nice, far enough from neutral to be fun but close enough to be versatile. Pads are... Ok? If I hold them a little bit further from my head, they sound significantly wider and clearer, so thicker pads would have been much better. I can't seem to stretch any other grado pads on them though, other than L and F pads but those don't really help the sound at all.

Another nit pick other than the sound is the fact that it takes an unusually long time to turn them on and off. Not sure why, and it doesn't really matter too much but still annoying.

These have been out for a while so my opinions are probably obsolete but I figured why not share anyway.

Are the buzzing problems normal or should I contact support? On top of that are their any better pads for these?
My advice is to return them. Buzzing definitely isn't normal and you're clearly not enjoying the sound to the fullest. Changing pads more often than not makes the sound worse. I picked up the original GW100 not the X a couple of years ago after seeing ZReviews rave about them. I thought they were pretty terrible compared to the sr80e both in wired and wireless mode. Sounded lifeless IMO. The GT220 however I found to be one of the best and loudest wireless in ears around. I'd get those for portability and stick to wired Grados for home listening.

Jul 5, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #61,504 of 65,854
I'm floored by the GS3000x straight out of the box. Don't even feel like I have to burn these in.

My advice is to return them. Buzzing definitely isn't normal and you're clearly not enjoying the sound to the fullest. Changing pads more often than not makes the sound worse. I picked up the original GW100 not the X a couple of years ago after seeing ZReviews rave about them. I thought they were pretty terrible compared to the sr80e both in wired and wireless mode. Sounded lifeless IMO. The GT220 however I found to be one of the best and loudest wireless in ears around. I'd get those for portability and stick to wired Grados for home listening.
Well, right now I only bought them because they suited my situation the best. I need to hear people in my house and don't really want them to hear what I'm listening to. So I figured that the "reduced escaping noise" would be perfect. And for the most part, it is. Im sure the in-ears sound great but I can't stand having things in my ears, my ears always loosen up and kick them out. I didn't get these for portability, I just got them for what is pretty much just a always on transparency mode that doesn't sound like it's been digested and pooped out by a computer. Unless there are other open backs with low noise escaping, this is my only viable option.

And I am just yearning for the day where I can actually get a pair of 3000s, consider me jealous.

Jul 5, 2023 at 11:43 PM Post #61,505 of 65,854
Very much agree with that assessment. Waiting and looking very much forward to receiving my new gimbals for the RS1X (have them already for the GH2 and Hemps). PS I have chosen the "short" version as they seem to be more "adjustable" and are very light... :o2smile:
Makes sense to me also. Will try a black set on my GH2 which is sporting Beautiful Audio hybrid ear pads.
Thanks to both of you bringing it up.

Attachments

• IMG_3262.jpeg
    IMG_3262.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 6, 2023 at 12:07 AM Post #61,507 of 65,854
Grado RS1x (XLR termination) << Liquid Platinum (Telefunken ‘red tip / medical grade’ ECC82 pair):
374B5ABC-EEBF-4ECA-8029-17A26EC644EE.jpeg
49F57BAC-D51D-4F2C-BB39-93125123A34A.jpeg
[Warner Brothers: November, 2013.] If there ever were an album that should be heard via RS1x, this is likely it. 😛

Jul 6, 2023 at 12:22 AM Post #61,508 of 65,854
Could anyone share opinions of two earpads Dekoni Velvet vs Nyczaj Earpads aka shipibo.audio?
I don't know about Nyczaj. but I know Dekoni velvet , you can find on AliExpress for 8 euro. It's made by exactly the same company, all material, shape and form exactly the same, the Dekoni box cost 50 euro. Don't make the same mistake as I did, Plus shipment was €70, I've thrown away the most expensive part of the product --- the box.

How the business works inside ----

I call a restaurant, I ordered different dishes from the menu , beef steak, spaghetti Bolognese chicken noodle let's say. The beef steak I want to 60% done with extra pepper. The chicken noodle I want the only chicken leg uncut. Spaghetti Bolognese is the original as it is. Then I'll bring those dishes to my own restaurant, asking for 7 or 8 times of the price.

VALA .....

The Dekoni box worth a lot put in the pedestal, it's like your doctor degree to prove your worth. LOL

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #61,509 of 65,854
I have sr225e, I bought it used, I wanted to test the grado sound and I really like it to be honest, besides it's neither heavy nor big.

I am considering getting a GH4, what do you think of this?

I think it is a great idea to add a GH4 to your SR225e.
If you like the SR225e, I would expect you will at least also like - maybe even love - the GH4.
I love my GH4. :)

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:23 AM Post #61,511 of 65,854
I have to acknowledge that your GH2 really looks great after the spa treatment.
However, I am still happy with my original, not treated in any way, GH2. :) :relaxed:
Same here although I have to say that brown headband looks great and the silver gimbals really make the cocobolo pop. Extremely hard buying accessories aftermarket accessories in the UK though. Can't even buy an official grado carry case.

Jul 6, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #61,512 of 65,854
Same here although I have to say that brown headband looks great and the silver gimbals really make the cocobolo pop. Extremely hard buying accessories aftermarket accessories in the UK though. Can't even buy an official grado carry case.

I really love the GH2 from the sound, but I not really like cocobolo from looks and so I not want the cocobolo to pop. :wink:

Some time ago I did buy an official Grado carry case from Home AV direct in the UK. But I checked just now and I think they no longer sell it at all.
To be a Grado fan outside US is not always easy for sure. :wink::slight_smile:

But the good thing is that even outside US a Grado sounds like a Grado! :slight_smile::)

Jul 6, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #61,513 of 65,854
I don't know about Nyczaj. but I know Dekoni velvet , you can find on AliExpress for 8 euro. It's made by exactly the same company, all material, shape and form exactly the same, the Dekoni box cost 50 euro. Don't make the same mistake as I did, Plus shipment was €70, I've thrown away the most expensive part of the product --- the box.

How the business works inside ----

I call a restaurant, I ordered different dishes from the menu , beef steak, spaghetti Bolognese chicken noodle let's say. The beef steak I want to 60% done with extra pepper. The chicken noodle I want the only chicken leg uncut. Spaghetti Bolognese is the original as it is. Then I'll bring those dishes to my own restaurant, asking for 7 or 8 times of the price.

VALA .....

The Dekoni box worth a lot put in the pedestal, it's like your doctor degree to prove your worth. LOL
I have these same AliExpress pads. Never owned the Shipbos, Dekonis or Nyczaj for comparison, but the $8 Alis work just fine. FAR more comfortable -- they're over-ear cans now. The sound changes a bit, with a slight V-shape. Still, nothing horribly different from stock.

The $8 AliExpress pads are my daily drivers with my 325x.

Jul 6, 2023 at 11:03 AM Post #61,514 of 65,854

No buzzing issues with my pair.

I think you might have purchased a defective unit. My GW100x sounds much, much better than any SR series model I've ever heard (it is in the same ballpark as the RS and the GH series).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back