Grado Fan Club!
May 18, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #60,796 of 65,986
Mine's 3 submarines about to dive.

IMG_6199.jpg

May 18, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #60,797 of 65,986
I love my Rs1x; I use it mainly with my Schiit Folkvagnr; I also added the Dekoni velour pads strictly for comfort.

The cable drives me nuts, though, and Moon Audio said they would do a detachable cable mode with the HD800s connectors for $175 USD.

May 19, 2023 at 7:53 AM Post #60,798 of 65,986
It has been over a month since I have been using the Valhalla 2 and I have been loving it!

Socket raisers by Deyan, a Bulgarian fellow Head-Fi member, great mate and very professional.

Stock tubes replaced by a matched pair of soviet Foton 6N6P and a matched pair of Tungsram E88CC.

I know this is gonna be considered sacrilege by some but I actually grab a lot faster the 325 Gold that the Classic RS1. Sure, after the "facelift" it is way more comfortable but QS wise, with these "polish" pads, there is something very special, especially when connected to the Valhalla, that just ticks many bells for me.

I have no problems stating that the Meze 109 Pro suited my tastes better, in many ways, especially in the lower section, but I always went first for the Grados and I don't have any logical and reasonable explanation. So it didn't make sense to keep it.

I would like to try a plannar HP, with quality bass, always for Instrumental Progressive Metal but also for Electronica music (something maybe like an Empyrean). Or maybe a closed one so that it could suit those occasions where privacy should be respected, but not sure since in theory it seems open ones will always be superior to closed in terms of SQ. Too many choices and no chance to demo, what a headache it is! :sweat_smile: :L3000:

Anyway just wanted to share with you my opinion that Grado and Schiit seem to have been made for each other.

Cheers.
DSCF1855.JPG

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 8:02 AM Post #60,799 of 65,986
May 19, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #60,803 of 65,986
Joe I hope you still have this RS-1. It looks incredible.
Those look like the vintage RS1 that Jonathan C has now.

Attached is a photo of mine which I purchased at the time when it was current (early 90’s). They are superb sound, one of my favorite Grados and the best RS1 variant in my opinion.
They are definitely a keeper for me.

If I were to keep only 4 of my Grados it would be the Joseph Grado Signature HP1000, PS2000e, GS3000x & the Vintage RS1.

Attachments

• IMG_5577.jpeg
    IMG_5577.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
May 19, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #60,804 of 65,986
2nd day with the gs1000x

Burn-in continues with The Jackal soundtrack (1997) with my old burn-in setup (Meier corda rock ff) amp out of the d30pro.

Just a few notes:

Got a feeling that these are "all about layers and layering" they do it "better" in terms of separation/air than rs1x.

Layers are "peaking" and releasing details at every "peak" those "peaks" have certain "refined sharpness quality to them".

That full midrange energy/sound of the rs1x is "moved" on the gs1000x into the layers/soundstage to the "edges? of soundstage".

There is AIR not just between instruments but also between layers.

edit:
These are endgame obviously (for me) already.

Last edited:
May 19, 2023 at 9:43 PM Post #60,805 of 65,986
It has been over a month since I have been using the Valhalla 2 and I have been loving it!

Socket raisers by Deyan, a Bulgarian fellow Head-Fi member, great mate and very professional.

Stock tubes replaced by a matched pair of soviet Foton 6N6P and a matched pair of Tungsram E88CC.

I know this is gonna be considered sacrilege by some but I actually grab a lot faster the 325 Gold that the Classic RS1. Sure, after the "facelift" it is way more comfortable but QS wise, with these "polish" pads, there is something very special, especially when connected to the Valhalla, that just ticks many bells for me.

I have no problems stating that the Meze 109 Pro suited my tastes better, in many ways, especially in the lower section, but I always went first for the Grados and I don't have any logical and reasonable explanation. So it didn't make sense to keep it.

I would like to try a plannar HP, with quality bass, always for Instrumental Progressive Metal but also for Electronica music (something maybe like an Empyrean). Or maybe a closed one so that it could suit those occasions where privacy should be respected, but not sure since in theory it seems open ones will always be superior to closed in terms of SQ. Too many choices and no chance to demo, what a headache it is! :sweat_smile: :L3000:

Anyway just wanted to share with you my opinion that Grado and Schiit seem to have been made for each other.

Cheers.
• I have to 👍👍 on: the use of tube raisers, the choice of Foton 6N6P pair, the Tungsram E88CC pair for Valhalla II. Valhalla II has been wonderful with my Grados.
• Have you tried listening via your Grados when Valhalla II is on ‘high’ gain setting vs ‘low’ gain setting? I have a preference for one over the other. Not just with Valhalla II but also with other Schiit gear with H/L gain switching. [Not telling here - don’t want to spoil any experiments.]

May 19, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #60,806 of 65,986
Those look like the vintage RS1 that Jonathan C has now.

Attached is a photo of mine which I purchased at the time when it was current (early 90’s). They are superb sound, one of my favorite Grados and the best RS1 variant in my opinion.**
They are definitely a keeper for me.

If I were to keep only 4 of my Grados it would be the Joseph Grado Signature HP1000, PS2000e, GS3000x & the Vintage RS1.
** I AGREE. The ‘wooden button’ RS-1 is the best of the Reference Series - past / present !

May 20, 2023 at 7:16 AM Post #60,807 of 65,986
Joe I hope you still have this RS-1. It looks incredible.
No, unfortunately I do not own it any longer.

Grado's are great for low level listening IMO.

Very detailed at low volume.

I liked the older models as the headphone cable was not so thick and bulky, while still sounding great.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #60,808 of 65,986
Good morning everyone,

I wanted to try the Grado sound, with various genres but mainly 70s/90s hard rock, to look for on the used one.
I would like a model that is also a good reference for possible future upgrades. The bass needs to be there, as does the much-vaunted capacity for midrange detail, especially on electric guitars and male vocals. If possible the slam of bass, guitar and drums can return well the energy, for me positive verification, that they transmit.

The most critical aspect for me is comfort, I have big ears, very sensitive, especially to itching, I would like to be able to wear them without serious problems for at least a couple of hours.
I had found used delles2e's, I was very tempted, when then reading different opinions on many forums I saw that for many they are of the grade can't particular deviate from the typical sound anyway. Here, I would like to be sure to hear the grado sound and not a variation of it that I can then find in other brands.

On the other hand, I want it to give me a good seventy to eighty per cent of the maximum I can get from this brand.

Which model do you recommend? I emphasise, also taking comfort into account, ear pads that don't make people itch, and that if possibly changed do not change the character of the headphone anyway.
Thanks for the advice :)

May 20, 2023 at 10:05 AM Post #60,809 of 65,986
Good morning everyone,

I wanted to try the Grado sound, with various genres but mainly 70s/90s hard rock, to look for on the used one.
I would like a model that is also a good reference for possible future upgrades. The bass needs to be there, as does the much-vaunted capacity for midrange detail, especially on electric guitars and male vocals. If possible the slam of bass, guitar and drums can return well the energy, for me positive verification, that they transmit.

The most critical aspect for me is comfort, I have big ears, very sensitive, especially to itching, I would like to be able to wear them without serious problems for at least a couple of hours.
I had found used delles2e's, I was very tempted, when then reading different opinions on many forums I saw that for many they are of the grade can't particular deviate from the typical sound anyway. Here, I would like to be sure to hear the grado sound and not a variation of it that I can then find in other brands.

On the other hand, I want it to give me a good seventy to eighty per cent of the maximum I can get from this brand.

Which model do you recommend? I emphasise, also taking comfort into account, ear pads that don't make people itch, and that if possibly changed do not change the character of the headphone anyway.
Thanks for the advice :)
I recommend the RS2e.

It is easy to find and it is inexpensive.

May 20, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #60,810 of 65,986
I'd start with a used 80e.

Rs2e really is my end game when it comes to grados (I hope).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back