Grado Fan Club!
Apr 21, 2022 at 7:48 PM Post #52,456 of 65,930
I bought Shipibo pads to use with my Hemps. It seemed nonsensical to me to use them with my SR60x given the price ratio.

They definitely hold better to the Hemps than the 60x.

But I agree with the comments that sound-wise they don't suit the Hemps. I've tried going back to flat pads but I just can't get comfortable enough with them and the sound feels too narrow for me. I also prefer the sound of the Hemps with Geekria G (best tonal balance and technical performance) and Grado G pads (best comfort but less bass). I'm looking forward to trying the Dekoni Velours with my Hemps but they are taking a long time to reach the UK it seems. Any more impressions on those with Hemps would be much appreciated 🙏🏾

In the meantime I decided yesterday to try the Shipibo Pads with my SR60x. The pads do slip off too easily which is a worry as I hope to use them on the go. But I really enjoyed both the sound and the comfort of the Shipibo pads on the SR60x, even though they failed on both counts for me with the Hemps.... I feel a bit schitzo, and ridiculous to be using pads that cost more than half the price of the headphones they are on, but that's how it's turned out.

Any suggestions for an easily removable adhesive I can use to secure the Shipibo pads to the SR60x without damaging the housing? I probably will switch to purple Yaxis from time to time because... Purple... So need that flexibility.

A different set of funky earpads of mine have a sort of rubbery ring attached to one end of the pad, which gives it a little grip when sliding them on and off. Seems like the same idea might work on the Shipibo?

So I'm super proud of myself right now.

Found the best solution to secure Shipibo pads to SR60x and any grados with the same housing - (not sure whether this would also work on the 325x and my Hemps don't need this as the pads grip onto the housing well enough).

So:

If you want to use Shipibo pads with the SR60x or similar grado buy these -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGC8KW3/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_ZQVFFYAT9KTQEJ1DWD60?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This particular size is perfect (and lucky for me I guestimated it correctly first time).

Instructions:

1- put the Shipibo pads on the headphones. Position them in their final position or as close as possible, because once the rings are added the pads are secured very tightly.

2 - feed the ring through the driver holes of each earpad and the over the lip edge of the driver housing. As if by magic the pads lock into place.

Now I can use these on the go without fear of losing a pad if I momentarily hang my headphones around my neck ( I once lost a Yaxi pad that way)

Hope this helps someone.

20220422_002326.jpg

20220422_002639.jpg
20220422_002715.jpg

UPDATE: The only drawback of this method is that the vertical articulation at the yoke ends up being lost because the "locking mechanism" turns out to be the O ring pressing the ear pad mounting ring against the yoke.

I don't think it's a major problem as the pads are really soft and conform to the head very well. Worst case scenario, it can be fixed through a bit of headband bending and gymnastics which seems to be common practice anyway. The horizontal rotation of the ear cups is unaffected.

Not a major issue but thought I'd flag. Really enjoying these headphones this way. Best sound and comfort of all the configurations I've tried.

UPDATE 2: Mad Science continues

The O ring also works great to secure Yaxi pads.

And it creates an interesting slightly ergonomic shape on the front of the earpads which is nice to look at. Seems to feel slightly different too as though it shifts the pressure points on the ears slightly more to the centre but I could be imagining that.

20220422_110520.jpg
20220422_110448.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #52,457 of 65,930
So I'm super proud of myself right now.

Found the best solution to secure Shipibo pads to SR60x and any grados with the same housing - (not sure whether this would also work on the 325x and my Hemps don't need this as the pads grip onto the housing well enough).

So:

If you want to use Shipibo pads with the SR60x or similar grado buy these -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DGC8KW3/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_ZQVFFYAT9KTQEJ1DWD60?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This particular size is perfect (and lucky for me I guestimated it correctly first time).

Instructions:

1- put the Shipibo pads on the headphones. Position them in their final position or as close as possible, because once the rings are added the pads are secured very tightly.

2 - feed the ring through the driver holes of each earpad and the over the lip edge of the driver housing. As if by magic the pads lock into place.

Now I can use these on the go without fear of losing a pad if I momentarily hang my headphones around my neck ( I once lost a Yaxi pad that way)

Hope this helps someone.

Very resourceful !!! 👍

Apr 22, 2022 at 8:09 AM Post #52,458 of 65,930
And in other news - received my Dekoni Velours today (finally available in the UK from Electromod).

Just had a play around between the SR60x and Hemps with the new babies, along with a bunch of others from the collection (Shipibo, Grado G, Geekria G, Yaxi, Grado F.... Left out the L and S pads this time)

Long story short, Dekoni Velours are my new favourites for the Hemps. Compared to all the other pads I've tried, the Dekoni's improve the bass (slightly more sub-bass and tighter mid-bass), better resolution and separation and a bigger and more defined soundstage. The only con I've found with them is that female vocals can sound slightly thin and recessed on some tracks but not all. Overall I'm very happy with these and they are the most comfortable pads I've tried on Grados by a long way.

Second place for the Hemps goes to the Grado G. Lovely open and clear sound through the mids and highs. Bass is present but lacking impact and depth.

That combo, alongside the SR60x with Shipibo (and O rings of course) has me pretty well set up as far as my Grado collection is concerned.

20220422_122541.jpg

Apr 22, 2022 at 1:28 PM Post #52,459 of 65,930
And in other news - received my Dekoni Velours today (finally available in the UK from Electromod).

Just had a play around between the SR60x and Hemps with the new babies, along with a bunch of others from the collection (Shipibo, Grado G, Geekria G, Yaxi, Grado F.... Left out the L and S pads this time)

Long story short, Dekoni Velours are my new favourites for the Hemps. Compared to all the other pads I've tried, the Dekoni's improve the bass (slightly more sub-bass and tighter mid-bass), better resolution and separation and a bigger and more defined soundstage. The only con I've found with them is that female vocals can sound slightly thin and recessed on some tracks but not all. Overall I'm very happy with these and they are the most comfortable pads I've tried on Grados by a long way.

Second place for the Hemps goes to the Grado G. Lovely open and clear sound through the mids and highs. Bass is present but lacking impact and depth.

That combo, alongside the SR60x with Shipibo (and O rings of course) has me pretty well set up as far as my Grado collection is concerned.

Love the early model Hemp (black stitching+og cable)! :)

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #52,460 of 65,930
I find the original Yaxi pads to be veiled, and it was truly a night and day difference when I had them quarter-modded. Can't recommend this enough as they sounded really bland before being punctured.

Apr 22, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #52,461 of 65,930

20220422_122541.jpg
Thanks for this information ! Wish Grado would give as much effort to find a more comfortable ear pad with quality sound.

Apr 22, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #52,465 of 65,930
I find the original Yaxi pads to be veiled, and it was truly a night and day difference when I had them quarter-modded. Can't recommend this enough as they sounded really bland before being punctured.

I tried the quarter mod. It does make the headphones sound brighter which I would usually like, but for some reason with the SR60X I prefer the Yaxi pads in their original form.

I carried out a similar mod on Yaxi pads on Koss KSC75. I cut out a 2.3cm hole in the middle. It noticeably improved the bass among other things - but that's for another thread

For me, Grado drivers do benefit from being uncovered by earpad foam but most importantly there needs to some distance/space between the drivers and the ears - e.g. I really like the sound of L-Pads but struggle with comfort.

Yaxis with a hole or F-pads don't do it for me but I know many people enjoy that sound.

Apr 22, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #52,466 of 65,930
Didn't realise the headband was different too, but very glad not to have the braided cable.

I posted earlier in the thread about putting my SR60x under the knife. I cut the braid off above the Y splitter. Very happy with that mod too
The first batch of Hemps have black stitching on the headband. Late 2020/early 2021, the headband started coming with white stitching before the dreaded new cable. Aesthetically, I would prefer the black myself :)

Apr 22, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #52,467 of 65,930
Put the Sennheiser Yellow Pads on my 325X. Much more comfortable. No degradation from the original F pads. I recommend them!

Apr 23, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #52,468 of 65,930
I received my replacement RS1x yesterday, and the wood looks totally different; zero hairline cracks, and the wood is a more polished deeper red. It looks like it is simply much better finished than the original unit.

In comparison, it looks like I really just got a bad unit the first time, rather than an indictment of the whole RS1x series. Ie, the 3 layers of wood don't seem to be overly delicate or anything.

It really is stunning, if I do say so myself. Obviously I have to restart the burn in process over again, but even with about 10 hours on them they sound spectacular...

Attachments

• 20220423_065403.JPG
    20220423_065403.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220423_065348.JPG
    20220423_065348.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Apr 23, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #52,469 of 65,930
I received my replacement RS1x yesterday, and the wood looks totally different; zero hairline cracks, and the wood is a more polished deeper red. It looks like it is simply much better finished than the original unit.

In comparison, it looks like I really just got a bad unit the first time, rather than an indictment of the whole RS1x series. Ie, the 3 layers of wood don't seem to be overly delicate or anything.

It really is stunning, if I do say so myself. Obviously I have to restart the burn in process over again, but even with about 10 hours on them they sound spectacular...
They are beautiful.

Apr 23, 2022 at 10:20 AM Post #52,470 of 65,930

…just because they are new, don’t be hesitant to use that Howard’s wood conditioner / polish on them…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back