Grado Fan Club!
Jul 23, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #17,131 of 66,342
  Sonos is hooked-up and in the house!

My mind is boggled by the ease, quality, and amazing amount of stuff it does.  Holy Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious...

Looking at your sig, do you bridge your Sonos setup to your head-fi rig (e.g. using a Sonos CONNECT into your Bifrost, et al.), using your Grado headphones, of course (keeping the thread on-topic)?

Jul 23, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #17,132 of 66,342
Just curious...

Looking at your sig, do you bridge your Sonos setup to your head-fi rig (e.g. using a Sonos CONNECT into your Bifrost, et al.), using your Grado headphones, of course (keeping the thread on-topic)?

Right now I'm just running digital coax from the Connect into the Marantz. It sounds pretty good for the Grado's so far.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #17,134 of 66,342
  The RS1 is $100.00 more than the PS500…or you can get an RS1 used.

Got my RS1i from CAM  back in March. $500 CAD shipped. With 4-m extension cord. Spankin' mint. No complaints.
btw, there are two LCD2's with wooden boxes on sale on CAM, for about $750CAD each! Go for it!
Enjoy.

Jul 23, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #17,135 of 66,342
Returned. the PS500s in the end. Too warm/ bassy/dark for my taste. Never thought I'd say that about a Grado. Back to the Beyers for me, sorry.

What genre of music do you most listen to?

Jul 23, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #17,136 of 66,342
A little Cocobolo eye candy for you gentlemen.

The NFB 11.32 is performing excellently. It's detail retrieval and depth bests the Asgard2/Bifrost and O2/ODAC. Compared to either, it throws a much more three-dimensional soundstage.

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #17,138 of 66,342

Just curious...

That's what I do. I've transferred every CD I own in lossless on a NAS (14,000 tracks more or less I think) that is streamed via a Sonos Connect that then goes to an Rotel Integrated amp w/ DAC to speakers or my HP rig. It works pretty well.

My next move would be to get a nicer separate DAC that would be an upgrade from the integrated w/ DAC. It sounds good, but not as good as CD through my stereo. Since it's streamed, short of buying a very high end DAC, I doubt it will ever sound quite as good as listening to lossless files directly from a PC or a CDP. But, pretty close. Listening through the Sonos speakers in the house-I've got two play 5's, a sub and a playbar, it's sounds surprisingly good. Again, not upper echelon audiophile dedicated listening good-but house music, good quality music while I'm preparing diner or doing stuff around the house-I'm satisfied. The Playbar w/ Sub which is a chunk of $ sounds really good.

And it/s so convenient w/ great features.

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:34 AM Post #17,140 of 66,342
  That's what I do. I've transferred every CD I own in lossless on a NAS (14,000 tracks more or less I think) that is streamed via a Sonos Connect that then goes to an Rotel Integrated amp w/ DAC to speakers or my HP rig. It works pretty well.

My next move would be to get a nicer separate DAC that would be an upgrade from the integrated w/ DAC. It sounds good, but not as good as CD through my stereo. Since it's streamed, short of buying a very high end DAC, I doubt it will ever sound quite as good as listening to lossless files directly from a PC or a CDP. But, pretty close. Listening through the Sonos speakers in the house-I've got two play 5's, a sub and a playbar, it's sounds surprisingly good. Again, not upper echelon audiophile dedicated listening good-but house music, good quality music while I'm preparing diner or doing stuff around the house-I'm satisfied. The Playbar w/ Sub which is a chunk of $ sounds really good.

And it/s so convenient w/ great features.

I do something similar with DLNA (MinimServer on a Mac Mini) --> Denon network player (DNP-720AE) --> optical to Arcam rDac --> NAD C375BEE --> Speakers.

The NAD has the integrated DAC module, but the Arcam simply blows it away for SQ, so I pulled it from the head-fi rig to use there.  I am looking hard at Sonos, because the Denon is a 1st-gen product that doesn't do gapless (unless you drive it with the remote and the 3-line OLED display) and the iOS app really, really sucks.  However, the above does handle hi-res tracks (if that matters) and does sound quite good.

Anyway, thanks!

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #17,142 of 66,342
....Does anyone know how to protect the lettering on the cans so that it doesn't rub off over time?
Are you talking about the handwritten serial number on the cups?

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #17,144 of 66,342
Sorry, I still can't use my quote function, so, to answer huckfinn's question on how to protect the lettering on Grado headphones, I have the HP1000, which have probably THE most fragile lettering ever printed on Grados. Now, not touching the lettering is obviously the most effective way of protecting it. Aside from my GS and PS1000, I handle all my Grados, the same way wich is, like dynamite, just kidding, or am I ?. I simpliy pinch the little knob on the cup gimbals pivoting point, between my middle finger and my thumb, if you decide to try this, just make sur to use enough pressure not to drop them.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #17,145 of 66,342
huckfinn, I've got a friend who has a pair of some "really" used Grado's, you can't even tell what model they are any more. But when you put them on and that sweet Grado signature starts to come out it's like audio bliss. Speaking of audio heaven, I'm listening to Steely Dan "Everything Must Go". Kinda loving Audirvana+ as my new music player in my MacBook Pro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back