Grado Fan Club!
Apr 2, 2014 at 1:54 AM Post #13,441 of 66,238
Hello all. I bought and sold a pair of 225's a while back after wanting to try grados and seeing that the 225s were a good representation of the grado sound in that price range. They really surprised me, and not in a good way at first. However I had recently realized how much I loved present mids and the grados would almost literally take my breath away at times. I also love their cartridges which oddly enough have a very smooth sound.

Anyway, I sold them. Liked my HE400s more than the 225s. Then I got some hd600s. Very nice, especially with a tube amp, but still...the grados kept coming back to memory more than any pair of cans I've ever sold. It was time to go grado again and I always liked the wood cups, so I got some RS2i's. Oh baby! It's been 2 weeks and I'm still enthralled by the sound and have NO interest in checking out any other cans... the grass is greener on my side finally!

It amazes me how some people can hate this sound, as it is so much like hearing a real instrument or live music and the mids are captivating...maybe it the design, but I love how funky they are. I'm soon to get the Manta leather headband for some added comfort and style, and I'll be completely content for the first time in a WHILE.

Also I don't like how they jive with my Yarland P100 tube amp, thought the tubes would mix well but no dice. As a huge Rega fan for 2 channel stereo listening I went for a Rega Ear head amp (current model). Got it for an incredible price so figured why not. If there's any magical synergy I'll report back, otherwise I'll probably be lurking around here often.

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:37 AM Post #13,442 of 66,238
worldtipper, nice story sir. Congrats on the RS2's. I looked at the Manta headband video and it seems like a nice upgrade to have. Grado obviously didn't spend more than forty cents on their stock headbands.

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #13,443 of 66,238
Hello all. I bought and sold a pair of 225's a while back after wanting to try grados and seeing that the 225s were a good representation of the grado sound in that price range. They really surprised me, and not in a good way at first. However I had recently realized how much I loved present mids and the grados would almost literally take my breath away at times. I also love their cartridges which oddly enough have a very smooth sound.

Anyway, I sold them. Liked my HE400s more than the 225s. Then I got some hd600s. Very nice, especially with a tube amp, but still...the grados kept coming back to memory more than any pair of cans I've ever sold. It was time to go grado again and I always liked the wood cups, so I got some RS2i's. Oh baby! It's been 2 weeks and I'm still enthralled by the sound and have NO interest in checking out any other cans... the grass is greener on my side finally!

It amazes me how some people can hate this sound, as it is so much like hearing a real instrument or live music and the mids are captivating...maybe it the design, but I love how funky they are. I'm soon to get the Manta leather headband for some added comfort and style, and I'll be completely content for the first time in a WHILE.

Also I don't like how they jive with my Yarland P100 tube amp, thought the tubes would mix well but no dice. As a huge Rega fan for 2 channel stereo listening I went for a Rega Ear head amp (current model). Got it for an incredible price so figured why not. If there's any magical synergy I'll report back, otherwise I'll probably be lurking around here often.

Congrats on your RS2i's.....it is great to be in that state to be able to enjoy your music and not analyzing it....good for you.

Please do report back if the amp you chose has any magical synergy.....always on the lookout for that 
smile.gif

worldtipper, nice story sir. Congrats on the RS2's. I looked at the Manta headband video and it seems like a nice upgrade to have. Grado obviously didn't spend more than forty cents on their stock headbands.

I have to say, after I get my headband broke in and shaped the way that I want it....I have always found grado's leather headbands, very comfortable.......lucky I guess.

I could see where the headband could be uncomfortable on the PS1000, because of the weight.....but my RS1i is super comfy...hell, it makes my HD650 seem very heavy
tongue.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #13,444 of 66,238
Same here, never found a problem with the stock headband. Guess we're the lucky few.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #13,445 of 66,238
I also ordered the Manta Onyx headband for my PS1000. Will advise.

Apr 2, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #13,446 of 66,238
 I have to say, after I get my headband broke in and shaped the way that I want it....I have always found grado's leather headbands, very comfortable.......lucky I guess.
That's because you've got a full head of hair. I just ordered the saddle colored Manta headband for my RS1i's. There's no grass growing on this busy street.

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #13,448 of 66,238
That's because you've got a full head of hair. I just ordered the saddle colored Manta headband for my RS1i's. There's no grass growing on this busy street.

lol, yes I could see the trouble there...

Apr 2, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #13,450 of 66,238

Congratulations on the RS2's! I feel the same way about being done and having no interest in hearing any other headphones. I came close to buying an HD 650 the other day, just too hear a higher end Senn, and then realized that I'm probably not going too like the sound signature at all compared to the RS1's, and decided not too even bother, thats how satisfied I am with the Grado sound… paired with the WA6, sometime I just can't believe how they sound, and really wonder, how much of a better sound am I looking for? None!

Apr 2, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #13,452 of 66,238
  Thanks for the reputation hsubox, I guess you feel the same way!

Me, too.

But skip the reputation.  I already got one.
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #13,453 of 66,238
  Thanks for the reputation hsubox, I guess you feel the same way!

I do! I love the Grado sound enough that I'm looking to sell my AKGs to fund a PS500, haha!

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #13,454 of 66,238

Thanks for calling it a FULL head  
biggrin.gif

Apr 2, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #13,455 of 66,238
  Congratulations on the RS2's! I feel the same way about being done and having no interest in hearing any other headphones. I came close to buying an HD 650 the other day, just too hear a higher end Senn, and then realized that I'm probably not going too like the sound signature at all compared to the RS1's, and decided not too even bother, thats how satisfied I am with the Grado sound… paired with the WA6, sometime I just can't believe how they sound, and really wonder, how much of a better sound am I looking for? None!

Joseph...the HD650 is Dark

Users who are viewing this thread

Back