Grado Fan Club!
Mar 27, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #13,231 of 65,638
  Didn't realize he was looking for wooden cups, I thought he just wanted too understand the sound signature of the Grados, and familiarize himself with them for awhile, regardless of the bass quantity.

TBH I just want one of their pieces of art. The GS1000i is winning the race. That'll be on my list for later this year. I've spent too dang much in the last month and a half.

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #13,233 of 65,638
I searched and couldn't find a fan club for Grados in general. I have only listened to the SR80is and LOVE them. I love how these cans really bring rock to life. I hope to someday try some more high end Grados. I want to see how the Grado "house sound" changes throughout the line up. 
Great bang for your buck. The sound is very "live" in approach.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #13,234 of 65,638
The PS500s really aren't dark. Comparatively, sure. But the more I listen to them, they're so focused on the sparkle in the air on the highs. That said, I plugged them into my new WA6 today, and things changed. Bass extension improved significantly, as did general punchiness. Honestly I feel like the bass is pretty accurate. It's not huge bass, it's not lacking. It's about what it should be until you get to the rolloff, and even that isn't a big deal.

Anyways the GS1000is are phenomenal I'm sure. Honestly though, if one is set upon not liking something, then I don't see the point in getting it... Headphones are like anything else. It takes time to adjust to something different. Listening to 3 songs in 5 minutes isn't a real audition. In violin world, we audition violins back to back for weeks to adjust and understand how it's going to work out long term. I was meh about my current violin, but with time (years) I've come to appreciate how unbelievably good it really is. If someone told you that natty light was water and made you drink it for 5 years, you'd eventually like it, and the sooner the better. It's all about putting yourself into a mindset to hear something different. Change is difficult for us all.

Mar 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #13,236 of 65,638
I've absolutely fallen in love with my 325i's. I may go back to my magnums soon though. Just because I haven't given a listen since I got my 325i's, which was a little under a month ago. These things are just SO IN YOUR FACE. Right now I'm sitting on my couch, just listening to them through my e10. Downloaded a good bit of Flac recently and am picking through some Doors/Dead Meadow. Beyond satisfying. Nothing presents a listener with a better tone then a nice pair of Grados. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #13,237 of 65,638
  I've absolutely fallen in love with my 325i's. I may go back to my magnums soon though. Just because I haven't given a listen since I got my 325i's, which was a little under a month ago. These things are just SO IN YOUR FACE. Right now I'm sitting on my couch, just listening to them through my e10. Downloaded a good bit of Flac recently and am picking through some Doors/Dead Meadow. Beyond satisfying. Nothing presents a listener with a better tone then a nice pair of Grados. 

+1

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #13,238 of 65,638
Got THAT right, buddies!
And I got a NEW high goin' on!

so, I picked up that little auction that a couple of the guys mentioned several days ago...the one with the Little Dot1 and the GRADO RS1 B, with the mahogany rim mods.....

SCHWEEEEEEEE-EEEET!!!!

the Dot is in perfect shape The Mullards that came with are VERY nice.

and then.
There are the CANS.

These are Bliss.
They are the real-deal RS1 with the wooden button.
A set of mahogany "rims" have been mounted on the cups- they slide snugly to flush with the rim....or can be extended, even slid off.
When they are extended, they make the exterior "sound well" about 1/2 inch deeper....which deepens the timbre JUST A SCOCHE to the warmer and slightly more,(but in a very nice way), bass-y.
And these RS1s are EVERYTHING that the reputation says about them.

These have been run in just right. Without a million miles on them.
NO Grattle, either!
I've been grooving the Guarneri Quartet, some Von Karajan with the Berliner Phil., a little Bela Fleck and Yo Yo Ma together.
FLAWLESS.

Now I know why I've been seeking the "original" RS1 for so long.
Once I've had a real chance to listen to that Little Dot.... that guy is going to get the BEST FEEDBACK EVER!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #13,239 of 65,638
  Got THAT right, buddies!

so, I picked up that little auction that a couple of the guys mentioned several days ago...the one with the Little Dot1 and the GRADO RS1 B, with the mahogany rim mods.....

SCHWEEEEEEEE-EEEET!!!!

and then.
There are the CANS.

These are Bliss.
A set of mahogany "rims" have been mounted on the cups- they slide snugly to flush with the rim....or can be extended, even slid off.
When they are extended, they make the exterior "sound well" about 1/2 inch deeper....which deepens the timbre JUST A SCOCHE to the warmer and slightly more,(but in a very nice way), bass-y.

NO Grattle, either!
I've been grooving the Guarneri Quartet, some Von Karajan with the Berliner Phil., a little Bela Fleck and Yo Yo Ma together.
FLAWLESS.

Once I've had a real chance to listen to that Little Dot.... that guy is going to get the BEST FEEDBACK EVER!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Congratulations! Please show some pic's of the "rims" you are talking about, I've never seen/heard about them. Thanks!

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:02 AM Post #13,240 of 65,638
p.s. I'll post a few pics of my Treasure tomorrow.
I have these 'phones on the Woo WA6 with the Miniwatt GZ34 and a set of RCA 6CY7s,(very nice, slightly sweet without syrup), and I MUST go back to them!

*contented sigh*

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #13,242 of 65,638
  Got THAT right, buddies!

SCHWEEEEEEEE-EEEET!!!!

and then.
There are the CANS.

These are Bliss.

NO Grattle, either!
FLAWLESS.

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I honestly love my little dot 1+. Grados plus Little Dot 1+ gives you some of the best sound, I think ever honestly. Some may call it mid-fi but...I honestly feel that's just because of the price. Or maybe I view it has Hifi because I haven't really listened to many more expensive headphones/setups. But. I honestly don't think I could ever listen to a setup that I get as much satisfaction of as my Little Dot1+ 325i/Magnum setup. My DAC adds the clarity that the LD1+ can't offer, and the combination as a whole...just leaves me breathless. I don't feel like I'm going to upgrade out of Grados anytime soon. At least until I have a full time job. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 12:18 AM Post #13,243 of 65,638
Is that the GoVibe product?

WAIT 'til you've heard a WooWA6, buddy.

I'm using the Modi,(Schiit), as my DAC on this rig.

Dudes.
I have a fairly nice, rather ecclectic roster of HPs.
And I have to say that they are very good at what I choose for them to play.

But I gotta say.
I come back, I come back, I come back to my Grado line most of all.

They are.....ALL THAT.

layterz my siblings!
smile.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #13,244 of 65,638
  How are you liking the WA6 right out of the box so far?

It's used, so not really right out of the box, but it's my first day listening to it, so I.... LOVE it. Of course I hadn't gone back to the Fiio E10's amp until I saw this. Just did some a/b comparisons, and my first thought is that it's pretty hard to match the volume levels of the 2. The Woo is so much more dynamic, less fatiguing in the highs, and so much better imaged and resolving that I can't tell how to exactly match the volume. If I match the mid/low volume of where I was listening to the Woo, the Fiio's highs start to really stand out, and I'm reminded of why I got into all this in the first place; to hear in the mids/lows what I want to hear; the detail, the imaging, the separation of sounds, the dynamics. Before, with SR80is in the Fiio, I was probably listening too loud, to hear the impact and the resolution I knew was in the music, but couldn't hear at lower levels. Losing hearing is not good.

I know most people here are believers, but I'm convinced that anyone could hear the difference in the 2 amps. Obviously the Fiio may be more accurate in absolute terms, but the Woo just makes the PS500, simply, better. It would take me 3 minutes at most to make a believer out of someone else, I think. That's really the thing that has taken me some time to realize. We can go on and on about graphs and how accurate their sound reproduction is, but the truth is that recording engineers are also listening to speakers and how they represent the music. That's part of why you'll never find cans that are perfect at all recordings. Alot of this stuff, especially in the intellectual areas (classical, jazz, some blues, lots of vocal stuff) is engineered by a very few people at the top labels, and they've all got their favorite speakers, headphones, all that. People can talk about neutral cans all they want, but unless an engineer was listening using a perfectly flat speaker, which does not exist, even theoretical neutral cans are putting some sort of spin on the music. The search for neutrality is vain. First, because it does not exist, and second, because what's the point?

By the way, here's some fun modern stuff for you Grado people out there. I know alot of you don't listen much to modern, but this is essentially a modern, electronic, take on funk. Very closely related to R&B, and soul, just without voices. For the a/b testing I was listening to the Anthem, which you can get to in the track list in the "about" section. Very good section for critical listening. There are some organ sounds that come in at the resolution (talking musical terms here, not audiophile terms) at the ending of each 4bar phrase, that are probably difficult to image for most amps. The separation of sounds is very apparently different I would imagine for most amps.

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #13,245 of 65,638
I've given an offer to a "former" headfier about his Bushmills on the desire to buy them, lets see how this plays out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back