Grado Fan Club!
Nov 1, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #1,216 of 65,854
I highly recommend the Little Dot I+, LD IV is good but not as good as the I + for Grados. If you have other headphones to accommodate then  IV is ok. LD I+ puts 800mW into 32ohms 
basshead.gif
 compared to 100mW from the LD IV

Quote:
Congratulations on the new found Grado goodness.

Make sure you pick an amp that excels with low 32ohm impedance. A few on here love the Little 1+ which does well with
the Grado range. LD IV only delivers a max of 100mW at 32 ohms, it excels at 120 ohm/300mW and above.

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #1,217 of 65,854

Quote:
wow thats a big jump there.. from sr60 to the rs2. Anyhow, they are all good.

IMO if you want to move up the Grado ladder, it's best to skip at least one, if not two, models in between.
Between my125 & 325 there is quite a difference. OTOH the 225 sounded very close to the 125.

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #1,218 of 65,854

Quote:
wow thats a big jump there.. from sr60 to the rs2. Anyhow, they are all good.

I'm hoping to hear the big jump and not just feel it in my wallet :wink:

Quote:
Congratulations on the new found Grado goodness.

Make sure you pick an amp that excels with low 32ohm impedance. A few on here love the Little 1+ which does well with
the Grado range. LD IV only delivers a max of 100mW at 32 ohms, it excels at 120 ohm/300mW and above.

Thanks for the info. I'll need to research the various amps and their performance with low impedance phones.

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #1,219 of 65,854

Quote:
I highly recommend the Little Dot I+, LD IV is good but not as good as the I + for Grados. If you have other headphones to accommodate then  IV is ok. LD I+ puts 800mW into 32ohms 
basshead.gif

I'm going to seriously consider the Little Dot I+ and it's less than half the price of the IV.  I'll put the savings into tubes and music.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:46 AM Post #1,220 of 65,854
Grado hard rock tangent blurb here,

Who else knew that 'Rage Against The Machine's' debut album was considered an
audiophile cornerstone for hard rock/funk?

<From Wikipedia>

"The album is known for its high production values, which are almost to the strictest audiophile standards.
Some audiophile sites and magazines even go as far as using the album — in particular the song
"Take the Power Back" — to test amplifiers and speakers.[12] 

I've just sourced a 24/96 vinyl rip of the album and it's been so long since I've had a listen.

Nov 1, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #1,221 of 65,854
Should've posted my question here.

Repost:

How does the Little Dot 1+ do with Grado SR60? I've never tried a tube amp before, to be completely honest. Is the added warmth going to be very noticeable? 

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:38 AM Post #1,222 of 65,854

Quote:
Grado hard rock tangent blurb here,

Who else knew that 'Rage Against The Machine's' debut album was considered an
audiophile cornerstone for hard rock/funk?

<From Wikipedia>

"The album is known for its high production values, which are almost to the strictest audiophile standards.
Some audiophile sites and magazines even go as far as using the album — in particular the song
"Take the Power Back" — to test amplifiers and speakers.[12] 

I've just sourced a 24/96 vinyl rip of the album and it's been so long since I've had a listen.

OK considering I'm a huge Rage and Audioslave fan mind if I ask where you got a 24/96 version from?

Nov 1, 2011 at 4:40 AM Post #1,223 of 65,854

Quote:
I can't speak for the 60's but I've used 125, 225's, and now PS500 and the LD really makes the Grado's shine. The biggest influence will obviously be what you feed into the LD and what you use to feed the LD. At the very least, all of the material I feed is lossless, best is 24/96.....and, I use a high quality DAC with high dynamic range (120dB+) and minimal THD........results can be really impressive...........With many music recordings, I just didn't realize how many instruments were actually present in a song.......what only seemed like 4 on crappy equipment (can't hear them) can easily turn into 8 or 10 (superb detail and separation). Often it's subtle, but it cool to hear the minor details. The Grado's and LD can really enhance the resolution.......which can make a recording engineer cringe if he's bad at his job. :)

Mind if I ask what kind of DAC you're using?

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:06 AM Post #1,224 of 65,854

Quote:
basshead.gif

I will contest this, the 1+ (+) any grado = a sever migraine in under an hour. Traded amps with a friend for two weeks. Got mine back and never had  a second thought about it.

Nov 1, 2011 at 5:33 AM Post #1,225 of 65,854
Or the best of both worlds ~ one laptop, one high end DAC and an endless supply of high vinyl rips. Sorted!

Nov 1, 2011 at 6:44 AM Post #1,226 of 65,854
My first exposure to Grado was flipping through a What Hi Fi magazine and saw a review on a pair of wooden headphones. This was back in the late 90s and the price was outrageous (can't remember how much). All I remember was the look, it was burnt into my brain.

Now at last muahahhahaah

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #1,228 of 65,854
You're an evil man Nick!

Evil I tells ye!

Nov 1, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #1,230 of 65,854

Hi!  I also own a SB Touch and like it very much and would like to know if you don't mine what modifications you have done on yours?

Cheer!
Quote:

I should clarify....I don't use a DAC per se..........I am using a Pioneer DV-58AV optical media player with SACD and DVD-A capability. It is multichannel capable with 3 Burr- Brown PCM1796 stereo DAC's to cover 6 channels (5 + .1). (123bD dynamic range, 0.0005 THD+N) It has a dedicated pair of stereo outs that utilize one of the DAC's.

Yes I still load cd's (or sacd, dvd-a) into it. It is my highest end audiophile piece of gear and I usually listen to a whole album at a time so I really don't mind especially when I want to critically listen.

I ripped my ~500 optical discs to FLAC and stream them from a server to a modified Logitech Touch with a built-in AKM stereo DAC, AK4420 (105dB). It sounds really great with the LD but the Pio is better (obviously). I routinely swap between the Pio and the Touch depending on what I want to do at the time. There could come a time when I purchase a DAC for the Touch, but at this time, the analog outs after modification sound pretty good.

Another optical player I used was Pioneer BDP-51FD bluray player for playing cd's. It has 4 Wolfson WM8740 stereo DAC's (for 7.1 audio) @ 117 dB. It is highly regarded in this duty and sounds excellent.

Luckily I have the patience for media swapping. For me the effort is worth the enjoyment I get from it. Trying to feed the LD I+ with the best signal is what I am after. I went through the vinyl era and honestly don't miss it too much. A reasonably good CD spinner with a good built-in DAC is the equivalent to a reasonably good turntable for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back