Grado Fan Club!
Jun 5, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #7,576 of 65,931
I'm tempted just to wait it out... No what if's... I'm just worried its not $50-$100 better...

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #7,577 of 65,931
Quote:
PS500 is next up for me....will be good company with my RS1i's.

Smart move, they have very different sound signatures, you're getting two very good sounding high end headphones, for less than the price of most flagships.

Jun 6, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #7,578 of 65,931
Jun 6, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #7,579 of 65,931
Quote:

Smart move, they have very different sound signatures, you're getting two very good sounding high end headphones, for less than the price of most flagships.

Yep, that is exactly the way that I am looking at it.

Jun 6, 2013 at 6:07 PM Post #7,580 of 65,931
Quote:
I'm tempted just to wait it out... No what if's... I'm just worried its not $50-$100 better...

don't worry, its all so very objective, how can one tell if something is 50, 70, 100 , 200 better than something else.
i've read where people have compared the magni and asgard 1, and while they overall found the asgard to sound better
they didn't find it the difference in sound between the two overly dramatic, where as the difference in price is dramatic
enough to make them choose the magni.
i'd wager that the difference in sound between the two asgards is even less than the difference between the as1 and the magni

Jun 7, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #7,582 of 65,931
Quote:

I am right there with you on that... after reading all 800+ pages of the 'Show us your Head-fi station...' thread, I have convinced myself that my next set of phones will be LCD-2s.  And I'm not buying a thing until I can afford a pair, along with an amp upgrade.

Solid choice, luscious sound, comfortable and not too analytical

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #7,583 of 65,931
Got to demo the SR80/115/325 during my trip to NY...

...As much as I love Grado's sound, I have to say that the discontinued Pioneer SE-A1000 is likely better, and can still be found places for around $60. .-.

Jun 14, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #7,584 of 65,931
Quote:
Got to demo the SR80/115/325 during my trip to NY...

...As much as I love Grado's sound, I have to say that the discontinued Pioneer SE-A1000 is likely better, and can still be found places for around $60. .-.

I wasn't entirely sold on the Grado sound when I demo'd them the first time using my Skyrocket as the source.

I liked them MUCH more when I used a different source (iPhone 3GS), and even more now using them out of my computer.

They've definitely grown on me.

And you didn't have to go all the way to NYC to demo them 
tongue_smile.gif
, come up to Tempe or Scottsdale.  There's a home audio store here that has most of the range.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #7,585 of 65,931
I was in NY for a SSBM event, and visited Manhattan, so I figured I'd do some demoing.

I've tried a bunch of sources, and no offense, but I don't think source changes how they sound very much, if at all, if the source has an adequate DAC. I ran them through my rockboxed Clip Zip.

Def. gonna check out Tempe some time, though.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #7,586 of 65,931
Quote:
I was in NY for a SSBM event, and visited Manhattan, so I figured I'd do some demoing.

I've tried a bunch of sources, and no offense, but I don't think source changes how they sound very much, if at all, if the source has an adequate DAC. I ran them through my rockboxed Clip Zip.

Def. gonna check out Tempe some time, though.

I think that's the problem with my phone, though.  The DAC seems to be absolute crap.  Anything better than earbuds just sound like crap through it.

If you do decide to head up to Tempe, the place is right off the 10 and really easy to find.  They're closed Sun-Mon and maybe only open by appointment on Sat; but they're really nice folks.

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #7,587 of 65,931
I think that's the problem with my phone, though.  The DAC seems to be absolute crap.  Anything better than earbuds just sound like crap through it.

If you do decide to head up to Tempe, the place is right off the 10 and really easy to find.  They're closed Sun-Mon and maybe only open by appointment on Sat; but they're really nice folks.

(Sorry, meant to quote CrystalT here) I promise you, source and amp make a huge difference to my 325is. Played straight from my iPod, sound ok. Through my Fiio e17 from iTunes (various bit rates up to lossless), better. Through my Laptop to Musical Fidelity Vdac to Heed Canamp, especially lossless, totally different beast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back