Grado Fan Club!
Jan 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #16 of 65,674

Quote:
Bump. This died WAY to fast! I know there is a Grado fan base on head-fi. 

O.K., I'll jump in.  Love my 325is with G-Cush.  The only phones I have to compare them to are GS1000 and some ancient Sony, Senheiser and Stax.  Hoping to go to a meet on Sunday so maybe I'll hear something that will blow the Grados in the weeds.  I listen to a lot of classical music on them which is just the opposite of what most peeps recommend.  I hear lots of "great for rock" and so forth.  Hey, I'm weird.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #17 of 65,674

Quote:
Quote:
Bump. This died WAY to fast! I know there is a Grado fan base on head-fi. 

O.K., I'll jump in.  Love my 325is with G-Cush.  The only phones I have to compare them to are GS1000 and some ancient Sony, Senheiser and Stax.  Hoping to go to a meet on Sunday so maybe I'll hear something that will blow the Grados in the weeds.  I listen to a lot of classical music on them which is just the opposite of what most peeps recommend.  I hear lots of "great for rock" and so forth.  Hey, I'm weird.

I guess what ever floats you boat. If you like classical on the Grados, than thats cool. I personally love jazz on my Grados, and I have read plenty of people saying jazz is awful on Grados. This is a personal hobby, so if it sounds good to you then great. 

I also want to go to a meet, but I don't think there are any in my area. 
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #18 of 65,674
I'm not letting myself go to any meets until I can afford to have my eyes opened.
wink_face.gif

I've got a pair of non-i sr60's I picked up here on the forum. I've got the driver-back dampened, bowl pads, cloths removed, and the rear of the sound chamber replaced with oak. I'm loving it more and more every day. The only thing I've compaired the sound against is my dads sony V6 and my sisters sony mdr-v150, but I love the energy and "bite" that the grado's have. My only problem is that I enjoy taking them apart almost as much as I enjoy listening to them. Electric guitars come to life, and cymbals resound like I've never heard. With the wooden cups acoustic rock guitar jumps out while still being warm. The part that amazes me most is female vocals. Evanesence (Amy Lee) and other similar bands, the vocals are incredible, and literally make my jaw drop sometimes.

I only wish Grado would make a closed-can portable so I could take grado-sound on the go.

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #19 of 65,674
^ i worry everytime i take my grados out or "on-the-go" because i might damage the drivers... wind, water, fire... etc...

My SR80i's actually lost some of its... "blast" after breaking in. But it got more comfortable to listen to! 
happy_face1.gif

I love my grados! now if only i can mod it to slightly open up the highs... to make it sound more "airy"...

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:43 PM Post #20 of 65,674

Quote:
^ i worry everytime i take my grados out or "on-the-go" because i might damage the drivers... wind, water, fire... etc...

My SR80i's actually lost some of its... "blast" after breaking in. But it got more comfortable to listen to! 
happy_face1.gif

I love my grados! now if only i can mod it to slightly open up the highs... to make it sound more "airy"...

I just cut off the cloth covering the driver front today, and that really helps it open up. also, if you have comfies and not the bowl pads, quarter-modding them (or switching to bowls) yeilds a more open sound that sounds much "closer" if that makes any sense. It feels less like the sound is sitting on your ears and more like its around you. The quarter-mod will be a bigger change than removing the cloth, the cloth is just the icing on the cake. instructions on both are found in Bilavideo's SR60-Mod thread, along with pretty much everything anyone could need regarding the grado since he's prettymuch deconstructed them to the molecular level.

Jan 9, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #21 of 65,674
thinking about getting some Grado's myself. what are the best pair that can be run from just an iTouch? I don't care that they're open, just want them to be run decently

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #23 of 65,674

Quote:
thinking about getting some Grado's myself. what are the best pair that can be run from just an iTouch? I don't care that they're open, just want them to be run decently

honestly, any grado from the 60i through 325I runs fine from a Ipod unamped, in fact, when i tried the RS1i unamped, it did fine as well

Jan 9, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #24 of 65,674

Quote:

Best is a very subjective thing Jprez. It's also subject to budget constraints. I started my climb up the Grado ladder with a pair of SR60i's right after the first of last year. Then after spending some time with an SR225i, and an MS2i, I took another step up the Grado ladder and got a pair of HF2's. You cant go wrong with the SR60i's, absolutely a great headphone. I still have mine, though currently they are undergoing a transformation. Hopefully they will be an entirely different beast when I'm through.

That wasnt really your question though was it, I assume what your asking is how do they sound unamped or how easily are they driven. They sound just fine unamped and are driven easily. I think my MS2's might actually have sounded better straight from my Sansa Clip than through my uDAC. That's sort of the great thing about Grado's they sound better as you climb up the Grado ladder. Although my 225's sounded very very similar to my 60's. and only slightly better. Check out the link above, great thread.

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:43 AM Post #25 of 65,674
Grados are alright I suppose.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #26 of 65,674

Quote:
Quote:

honestly, any grado from the 60i through 325I runs fine from a Ipod unamped, in fact, when i tried the RS1i unamped, it did fine as well

ugh, you shouldn't have told me that. now im gonna have to spend $200< on a pair... when i get some money
biggrin.gif

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #27 of 65,674
Just a reminder for Gradophiles using bowl pads. If you've been wearing them around the ear I recommend trying them on-ear, and just a little bit forward of the back edges of your ears. This smooths out the upper-mid peak while still retaining that trademark Grado liveliness, and opens up the soundstage noticeably. You might like it. (For comfort, bend the headband to minimize pressure on the ears.)

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #28 of 65,674
I still own the GS-1000. I sold the RS-1 after owning them for years. They are very close in preference. The HP-2 is next level, but I like the "life" that the SR/RS/GS bring to the music. So, I guess I'm still a Grado fan 
gs1000.gif

The GS-1000 is a prickly beast, but the excitement and musicality is unique to only those phones. Let the other phones be accurate and technically correct. Let Grado be exciting and fun. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back