Grado Fan Club!
Jun 11, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #15,692 of 65,856
  No really, I've spent enough on headphones already, and have 4 pairs, which is too many for me, plus I'm very satisfied with what I have. It will be hard of course, and I would like too hear them to see if theres any differences, but thats about it.

Just a frivolous question, but couldn't you just drive/bus over there and audition some, or don't they have a listening room?  Bottlehead here near where I live have a huge listening room with all their products set up for you to audition, just have to call for an appointment so they know you are coming.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #15,693 of 65,856
The plug is one thing, but I sure hope they keep the heavier cable on the higher end cans.

You should be real happy, not only did they keep the heavier cable, they made it even HEAVIER. Now the top models have a 12c cable going to them. Why you need 12 conductors I don't know but they know better than I do what sounds good or not.

Jun 11, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #15,694 of 65,856

Just a frivolous question, but couldn't you just drive/bus over there and audition some, or don't they have a listening room?  Bottlehead here near where I live have a huge listening room with all their products set up for you to audition, just have to call for an appointment so they know you are coming.

Grado is just the factory only…no listening rooms, you must go to an authorized dealer.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM Post #15,695 of 65,856
I have SR325is #17481 and the drivers appear to be red (there's some red something inside there at least) and I got those in about a month and a half ago. I also actually auditioned the SR325 and an older (non-red) 325is. Assuming the one I have is actually an "e" (which would explain some of the differences I heard between all three) I can say this: not much is different. The 325 was clear, natural, etc. I found the 325is to be more aggressive and not as smooth, a harder sound. My current cans are somewhere in the middle. None of the sibilance I heard on the 325is, but better imaging and slightly more forward than the 325 (and more space to the sound?)
That said, I only noticed differences when I had them all on a $3000 amp and was a/b them right next to each other. I chalked it up to slight production variances, because they all sounded so darn similar when it came down to it! I wouldn't be able to tell which was which if I didn't have them all here, I don't think.

From GRADO's FaceBook page (in case it hasn't explicitly been mentioned):

''We know that sometimes when you get something, the next day (sometimes literally) a new version comes out. Now, we haven’t had a new line up in years - but we still know that’s a bummer. So to avoid transition woes, we’ve slowly shipped The e Series as the ‘i’ for the last 2-3 months (minus the ‘e’ engraving). If you recently bought Grados and you have a red driver (look through the back), then that means you have an e Series headphone already! ''

nice of them....sadly still wasn't in the right time span....
redface.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #15,696 of 65,856
my ps1k's are out for delivery  
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #15,698 of 65,856
  Nice, can't wait either!
 I'm supposed to receive the PS Audio DLlll tomorrow, so I know how you feel!

ps audio makes some NICE stuff
they have a new dac/amp piece, the sprout? retails for $799
my guess is it'll be pretty good

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #15,699 of 65,856

ps audio makes some NICE stuff
they have a new dac/amp piece, the sprout? retails for $799
my guess is it'll be pretty good

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
Hope I like this DAC more than the Meridian-203, not that I don't like my Meridian, but I want to see if I'm missing out on anything, and as far as the DACiTx, I liked the Meridian much more, so I'll see.

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #15,700 of 65,856
Am I the only one who uses the 325 as a portable? I'll go hide my face now...

Tried it on several occasions...and my findings were:

1. Was only useful in very quiet places...(park at night, looking at the moon - listening to 'Shoot The Moon' by Norah Jones)
                    - useless in big and busy cities like Paris, Madrid, Shanghai, Beijing, New York, London....

1. Great fashion statement / will get you looks (= girls/guys?)
                    - But not as nice as a RS1i

1. Bragging rights when saying that you are using headphones 'handmade in Brooklyn, NY'
                   - can make you sound like a pretentious do*chebag

1. Bragging rights because you can mention the 'local' price of the GRADO
                  - 'these headphones cost $700 here'

....generally don't do it...only if i want to feel special that day...
biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #15,701 of 65,856
  Thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
Hope I like this DAC more than the Meridian-203, not that I don't like my Meridian, but I want to see if I'm missing out on anything, and as far as the DACiTx, I liked the Meridian much more, so I'll see.

i'm guessing you like this one, but then again, i thought you'd like the dacIT too

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:12 PM Post #15,703 of 65,856

You should be real happy, not only did they keep the heavier cable, they made it even HEAVIER. Now the top models have a 12c cable going to them. Why you need 12 conductors I don't know but they know better than I do what sounds good or not.

LOL is this for real??  I like the fact that there are 6+ conductors but that damn cable is too heavy and too short. 

Jun 11, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #15,704 of 65,856
ok, a little confusion here…

Did the SR60i & 80i's come with a quarter-inch / 6.35 mm plug? Both my 60i's (which have silver drivers) and my 80i's (which have RED drivers and are supposed to be the new generation, even though they're designated as "i") have eighth-inch mini plugs, with quarter-inch adapters on them. 

Thanks for anyone that can clarify

Jun 11, 2014 at 3:05 PM Post #15,705 of 65,856
the ps1k's have arrived !   
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back