Grado ear pain
May 28, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #46 of 55
Quote:
I would wait it out if i were you. Jinteddy has solved a lot of people's comfort problems with his headbands including mine. I wouldn't be surprised if he does it again with earpads. Whats another 1-2 months wait to test the earpads out.
o2smile.gif

Those headbands are beautiful...and I hope you're right, cause I want all my fellow Grado lovers to have the same level of comfort as I have! :)

May 28, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #47 of 55
Quote:

So true...I dare say that as much as I love my Grados, I don't know if I could keep them if they were causing me a lot of discomfort...there's got to be some sort of solution for this issue, though....I hope our Grado brothers who are in pain can find some relief! 

I am not too worried. I have found some relief with my bowls in combination with PX100 pads. I can also wear my flats for periods of time as well. I just happen to be "lucky" and have small, weirdly shaped ears, and my antihelix likes to rest in the hole in the pad that opens to the diver. It is so worth any discomfort I may feel just to have that Grado sound on my ears.

Cheers

May 28, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #48 of 55
Quote:
Quote:
Graphs can be helpful in a way, actually. It's just the context and what other graphs in addition to FR graphs that are needed. A fine article by our middle-of-the-road objective subjectivist Tyll regarding how he evaluates audio gear both by ear and how his measurements support his subjective opinion.

Yes they are helpful but sometimes I wish I knew how to more extract information from them. Tyll should make a measurements sheet reading guide. I definitely think Tyll is among the most objectivist, due to his job, and I'm sure there is placebo effect (change that happen in your perception of a headphone's sound) when listening to it and then reading it's measurements.

I would classify myself as a subjectivist even though I find myself reading graphs on innerfidelity.com all the time, and it's almost the first thing I go see about a new headphone.

I'm pretty sure he outlines how to read said graphs and deduce very roughly how a particular headphones would sound. Mind though that it's not just FR graphs, but with other graphs as well. 

Measurement Meaningfulness
What do I mean by "meaningful"? I have found that measured data from headphones have a fundamental but limited relationship with the subjective listening experience. Here are some areas where I think measurements may inform us about the way a particular headphone sounds:

But both subjective evaluations and graphs together are better than both of them separately. He himself admit that in some ways (not all the time) that subjective evaluations are better than measurements. Was meaning to quote his article on this, but I'm not going to deny him his ad income LOL quote the long paragraph here.

May 28, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #49 of 55
Quote:
So true...I dare say that as much as I love my Grados, I don't know if I could keep them if they were causing me a lot of discomfort...there's got to be some sort of solution for this issue, though....I hope our Grado brothers who are in pain can find some relief! 

The HD414-bowls sandwiches I use on my HP2 made the clamping force quite heavy and gave me a constant headache... but the sound was so good with these pads, and I ended up getting used to them. Now I just won't feel them anymore, at all, on my head. So either the headphone, the pads, or the head broke in. I think the headband's steel lost some rigidity (even though the overall shape and angle will remain unchanged, because it takes a lot more effort to do so), the pads have an earned an archived/latent memory in their particles, so they compresses more easily and quicker when I take the pads off from storage and retain my ear configuration for longer during pauses and nights, the covered-by-pads blood vessels' surrounding muscular tissues strengthened themselves to protect the head vessels from constriction and allowing blood flow even with a headphone pressing on them. I've returned to being that type of person who never experiences headache.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure he outlines how to read said graphs and deduce very roughly how a particular headphones would sound. Mind though that it's not just FR graphs, but with other graphs as well. 

But both subjective evaluations and graphs together are better than both of them separately. He himself admit that in some ways (not all the time) that subjective evaluations are better than measurements. Was meaning to quote his article on this, but I'm not going to deny him his ad income LOL quote the long paragraph here.

You say very roughly but I'm sure anyone could tell less roughly if Tyll took the time to tell us more about how he reads graphs himself.

Of course I don't only look at the top-left graph... everything is useful on there and to be considered. Purrin also makes informative energy decay waterfall plots that are plenty revelative of practical and sensable attributes.

But I mean, I got to read, scattered somewhere I think in the commentaries of one of his article at innerfidelity, that the lowest the overshoot of the 30 Hz square wave, the tighter the bass, or something like that... and that it was a clear water thing, A means B dot. You have yourself a clear measurement of bass quality... but you would have never deduced it yourself.

May 31, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #50 of 55
I posted this in the Grado Fan Club:

i finally received my red Senn. 414 pads in the mail.
They do look pretty sharp with my custom 80i.  
But more importantly they sound pretty good too. One thing I noticed immediately was how my flats have a tendency to choke the high end a bit compared to the 414's. I find the 414's very close to bowls in the way they present the music, perhaps a bit more bass though. I think they are equal in the highs and mids though. The 414's definitely retain that forward bite that I love about my Grados. I also prefer them with the quarter mod but not reversed. I find that when they are reversed they are too diffuse and lose a lot of impact and bass. They are also quite comfy, for a Grado pad.

I will be enjoying these for the rest of the night while I plow through my music collection again for the umpteenth time since acquiring my Grados.

Cheers all, and happy listening!
Dan

May 31, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #51 of 55
Quote:
I posted this in the Grado Fan Club:

i finally received my red Senn. 414 pads in the mail.
They do look pretty sharp with my custom 80i.  
But more importantly they sound pretty good too. One thing I noticed immediately was how my flats have a tendency to choke the high end a bit compared to the 414's. I find the 414's very close to bowls in the way they present the music, perhaps a bit more bass though. I think they are equal in the highs and mids though. The 414's definitely retain that forward bite that I love about my Grados. I also prefer them with the quarter mod but not reversed. I find that when they are reversed they are too diffuse and lose a lot of impact and bass. They are also quite comfy, for a Grado pad.

I will be enjoying these for the rest of the night while I plow through my music collection again for the umpteenth time since acquiring my Grados.

Cheers all, and happy listening!
Dan

Soooo much red. Now all you need it to dye that headband bright red.

About the quarter modded HD414 pads, yep with my MS Pro I find that compared to the bowls they produce a more upfront sound with a smaller soundstage, greater bass, more forward midrange and a bit more tamed treble. I rather like this sound, it is very musical compared to the usual balanced or neutral stuff I am used to. With the bowls it feel like I am sitting in the front row of a concert, but with the 414 pads I feel like I am standing right on stage.

Oh, and they are infinitely more comfortable than the bowls.

Jun 1, 2012 at 12:27 AM Post #52 of 55
Quote:

Soooo much red. Now all you need it to dye that headband bright red.

About the quarter modded HD414 pads, yep with my MS Pro I find that compared to the bowls they produce a more upfront sound with a smaller soundstage, greater bass, more forward midrange and a bit more tamed treble. I rather like this sound, it is very musical compared to the usual balanced or neutral stuff I am used to. With the bowls it feel like I am sitting in the front row of a concert, but with the 414 pads I feel like I am standing right on stage.

Oh, and they are infinitely more comfortable than the bowls.

Red/black: my fave. colour combination. 
tongue.gif
 I am really liking these 414 pads. The most comfortable pad I own by far (no more ear pain!!!), also the best sounding pad overall as well. Nothing is overblown or muffled. Very balanced pad. Your analogy about bowls feeling like front row and 414s like being on stage is very apt.

Cheers,
Dan

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #53 of 55
Quote:
Red/black: my fave. colour combination. 
tongue.gif
 I am really liking these 414 pads. The most comfortable pad I own by far (no more ear pain!!!), also the best sounding pad overall as well. Nothing is overblown or muffled. Very balanced pad. Your analogy about bowls feeling like front row and 414s like being on stage is very apt.

Cheers,
Dan

Told you :wink:, they're the medium all rounders, and they do everything fairly well. A bit of bass of the flats, retaining the airiness and some of the edge of the bowls. I'm glad you like them, hehe. You haven't complained about comfort yet so I guess it's a good thing. :p

Jun 1, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #54 of 55
Quote:

Told you :wink:, they're the medium all rounders, and they do everything fairly well. A bit of bass of the flats, retaining the airiness and some of the edge of the bowls. I'm glad you like them, hehe. You haven't complained about comfort yet so I guess it's a good thing. :p

tongue_smile.gif
 Yes, you were right. They are the best I have found. If flats retained the treble and airiness of bowls they would be my favorite due to their bass response. But, I can definitely live with the 414s. Vol. 4 is sounding really nice with these pads.

Cheers,
Dan

Jul 8, 2012 at 5:48 AM Post #55 of 55
Hey guys, the project for the earpads have been scrapped due to Malaysia not having the technological advancements to produce such an earpad. I apologise for keeping your hopes up and i myself was extremely dissapointed when i found out that it could not be done. I tried for the last 3 weeks even having multiple phonecalls and discussions to try to produce the pad. Having exhausted all avenues. Here is the design for the pad (the crosssection) of what i had in mind. Hopefully someone with cnc experience with foam would be able to produce the pad oneday. =)

Cheers,

Jin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back