Grado e Series
Jul 4, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #646 of 6,729
Congrats HeatFan12 .... enjoy them !

Jul 4, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #647 of 6,729
  Congrats HeatFan12 .... enjoy them !

Thanks Mortalcoil!

beerchug.gif

Jul 4, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #648 of 6,729
The old 125s were also nice with bowls. I wonder how the new one is. What I remember from before was that the 125 had the least offensive upper mids peaks among all the other models I have tried.

Jul 4, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #650 of 6,729
The cable sleeves that connect to the cups seem alot sturdier and less prone to twisting than the older series Grados, can anyone confirm this?

Jul 4, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #651 of 6,729

Nice!

Do you own any other Grados that you can compare them with?

Thanks!

Yes.  This weekend I'll be doing some comparisons with the SR60, SR225, RS2 & RS1i.  As well as some pad rollin' too.

The cable sleeves that connect to the cups seem alot sturdier and less prone to twisting than the older series Grados, can anyone confirm this?

Well, everything seems much sturdier.  lol

SR60 on top

Jul 4, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #653 of 6,729
By anybody's stretch of their imagination the GS1k's are an impressive set of cans. Especially at 15% off the list for the "I" series. They're my favourite Grado, just couldn't go there with the gf by my side at purchase time. Nevertheless, I am really happy with my RS1i's! They're an industry standard and a very cool hp to wear for hours, and listen to any genre.

What bpcans says re RS1i’s. Very happy at 30% off list, burning them in slowly as Grado suggests, and there is an obvious improvement compared to straight out of the box. I might give the GS1000e’s a test drive some day, but there is no rush. Good is good is good.

Jul 4, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #654 of 6,729
But is good good enough Hadrosaur?

Jul 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #655 of 6,729
So back from cripeland....lol...
Going from the 80 to the 325 should get me a more refined sound but I'm intrigued by the comment about the ps500 that it is neutral but with more bass and more treble...I'd be willing to save up if it's that much more significant of a difference than the 325. To those more experienced, should I just save up ?
Also, is the size of the 500 that much different than the 80?

I’d say that if you can afford it, go for the 500; it’s the same basic sound as the 325, but better, with a larger sound stage. Very precise and detailed.

Jul 4, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #658 of 6,729
Well then!, is it ever good enough?, I always try to keep things in perspective, I feel VERY fortunate to be able to own 5 pairs of Grados, and 4 headphone amps, among wich, are the ultra rare HP-1000, and it's even less seldom seen HPA-2 amp, with the even rarer PS-1 power supply. And yet, what I have paid for all of my stuff, wouldn't be enough to buy a pair of Stax SR-009 rig.

That being said, out of those five pairs of headphones, two were never planed, they were what you might call, impluse buys, the HP1000 is one of them, in fact, I pretty much stumbled upon them at my audio store, where I had gone to buy a new cartridge and felt mat for my turntable, I didn't even know what they were. I just knew that they sounded good enough for me to pay the $350 asking price. When I got home and researched them, I can't begin to tell you how euphoric I felt. In all the exitement, I realised that I had forgotten to buy my felt mat, so I went back the next day, and casually informed the salesman of my findings, and told him that a pair that wasn't as nice had just sold for $1775 on flea-bay. You should have seen this poor guy's face, for a moment, I thought that he would faint. 

To vintage cars guys like me, that's the equivalent of finding an unmolested Shelby AC Cobra 427, in a barn, being sold dirt cheap, by a little old lady who's husband just died. These days, internet access makes these kinds of deals almost impossible to find.

And yet, if, for whatever reason, I would have to sell all of my more expensive headphones, I'd still be satisfied with my SR80i, wich, by the way, are the ones that I am most impressed with. It's one thing to build great sounding headphones that cost $500 or more. But to build very good sounding headphones for $100. Oh!, and I know at least one other Head-Fi members that agrees with me, on this one, guess who!.

Now, I just hope that the ''limited edition'',  Bushmills X, wich were my other impulse buy, will follow the same path as their HP-1000 older brother, what!, I can dream, can't I?

Finally, I'm sorry if my story bored some of you, but I enjoyed telling you about it!.

Jul 4, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #659 of 6,729
Might that someone else be me?
If not, anyway I am always blown away by my 80i's every time I listen too them,
they are IMO without a doubt the icon of the Grado sound signature, and not to mention a steal for such sound quality!
my 80i's get more head time than my 325is's, by far!

Nice story about how you got the HP1000's…as I read this I could picture the sales persons face when you told them how much they were going for!

Jul 4, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #660 of 6,729
No Joseph, I wasn't referring to you, I'm pretty sure that we will here from him if he reads my post.

They were selling the HP-1000 and an X-CAN V2 AMP as a favor for an old client of theirs, the price was $500 for both, but since I already owned an X-CAN V2, I just wanted the headphones. To this day, I still wonder if their client really wanted $350 for the HP1000 and only $150 for the amp, I can't help but think that their client relly wanted $250 for each piece, and that he has made $100 of me. Anyway, if that was the case, I still got the last laugh!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back