Grado Drivers
Nov 29, 2007 at 1:09 AM Post #91 of 103
This is what wikipedia has to say about depth ratings for watches:

Quote:

The International Organization for Standardization issued a standard for water resistant watches which also prohibits the term waterproof to be used with watches, which many countries have adopted. Water resistance is achieved by the gaskets which form a watertight seal, used in conjunction with a sealant applied on the case to help keep water out. The material of the case must also be tested in order to pass as water resistant.[6]

The watches are tested in still water, thus a watch with a 50 meter rating will be water resistant if it is stationary and under 50 meters of still water. For normal use, the ratings must then be translated from the pressure the watch can withstand to take into account the extra pressure generated by motion. Watches are classified by its degree of water resistance, which roughly translates to the following:[7]

* 50 meters (1 meter is about 3.3 feet), which means the watch is suitable for swimming

* 100 meters; indicating it can be worn snorkeling

* 200 meters, suitable for recreational scuba diving

* 1,000 meters (roughly three-fifths of a mile).

Watches in this last category can endure deep-sea diving. Their gaskets are made of materials that can withstand the helium used in decompression chambers. Some have valves that let the wearer release the helium that has seeped into the watch so the case won't explode as the watch and diver adjust to normal atmospheric conditions, says Peter Purtschert, technical director at Breitling USA. The depth specified on the watch dial represents the results of tests done in the lab, not in the ocean.[8]

Some watches use bar instead of meters, which may then be multiplied by 10 to be approximately equal to the rating based on meters. Therefore, a 10 bar watch is equivalent to a 100 meter watch. Some watches are rated in atmospheres (atm), which are roughly equivalent to bar. In the United Kingdom, scuba divers and others often use the word atmosphere (ATM) loosely (the correct term is "ambient pressure") to mean 1 bar (1000 millibars, or 100 000 Pa).

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #92 of 103
Cool info. The Omega I have eyed has a helium release valve but I think it is only rated to 300 m. 1000 m....now that i a watch! I need to search something like that out!

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #93 of 103
What I never got about the helium release valve was does it need to be refilled after you dive deep and it releases the helium?

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:25 AM Post #94 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Orients are basically lower end Seikos, but I can tell you they are darn accurate watches for mechanicals, great value for a auto watch.

Not really. Pulsar is a low-end Seiko.

Orient started out as a watchmaker's shop in 1901 and became a watch manufacturer in 1950.

They share a factory with Seiko, and are undoubtedly overshadowed by Seiko/Epson and Citizen/Myota as japanese watch companies go but they have their own movements and are still an independent company.

Quote:

I think your talking about this one:
CEM58002.jpg

Gray dial, but yeah.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #95 of 103
"A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof, and when you have a good proof, it's because it's proven."

Is there any way of disproving/proving it other than sneaking into their building? :/

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #96 of 103
Nov 29, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #97 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperNothing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I never got about the helium release valve was does it need to be refilled after you dive deep and it releases the helium?

Helium atoms, being super tiny, are able to get into the enclosed watch and upon surfacing in order to decrease the pressure inside without damaging the watch, the valve is put in place.

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:55 AM Post #99 of 103
So what's the whole argument about? Is it just to defend/destroy the credibility of Grado & co.? Or is everyone worried that their Grado drivers contain lead paint, or will metabolize as date-rape drug once consumed?

Nov 29, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #100 of 103
Quote:

Villi Manilli was good too ...look who they fooled !

No, they weren't. But as in this argument, that is a matter of opinion and not proof.

The reason I asked if anyone on the tour went downstairs is because at the last NYC Regional Meet that was hosted at Grado Labs in 2004, a bunch of people were brought downstairs to see some seriously expensive, high tech equipment. I missed out because I was obtaining my caffeine fix from a local Bodega. It was pretty proprietary expensive stuff. I assume that it could have been the machines to wind the coils and make the drivers but that is my speculation about what I heard from the people who went down there.

John is the type that doesn't give a rat's arse about what people think about his business practices. In his words, when I ran the Autism Raffle for him for the 2006 National. He said, which is true, "that there will always be people who will do, exactly what is being done in this thread, and he is not going to be losing sleep over it."
He gave me $1000.00 to kick off the vendors' donations for the National and donated a bunch of iGrados for the cause.

I will call him tomorrow about this, but I don't expect him to find a need to defend himself.

Unless someone has any proof to down play what Zanth reported in his one on one interview, then everything else is speculation. If people thrive on talking about profit margins, then don't go to restaurants and supermarkets.

A breadcrumb food company in Brooklyn NY makes breadcrumbs that cost them $0.50 to make, and they sell it to Pathmark for $1.00 and Pathmark sells it to us for $2.50. So you can say, hey, these breadcrumbs only cost $0.50 to make, and not buy it for $2.50, but do we? No...that's capitalism.

If you can make it for less and achieve the same results, then feel free to do so! If not, buy America's Choice for $1.89, they are also made by the same company on the same production line on the same day. I don't think I'm giving away any company secrets here.
Nobody knows what it really takes to make something including overhead.

I think quoting $10 for labor of a Grado headphone is saying that it only takes an hour to make it, and that person only makes $10/hour. How would anyone know if that's true. Pure speculation.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #101 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by chowdy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what's the whole argument about? Is it just to defend/destroy the credibility of Grado & co.? Or is everyone worried that their Grado drivers contain lead paint, or will metabolize as date-rape drug once consumed?

Neither, just wanted to know how many non technical people will buy into it. The highest concentration of lead is not on the toy itself, but in the ink used in the packaging !, then it doesn't matter if it was made in China or the USA it will both fail miserabily ....so keep those boxes away your babes' mouths !

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #102 of 103
Quote:

Neither, just wanted to know how many non technical people will buy into it. The highest concentration of lead is not on the toy itself, but in the ink used in the packaging !, then it doesn't matter if it was made in China or the USA it will both fail miserabily ....so keep those boxes away your babes' mouths !

Ah so you are a mere troll who gets a kick hearing himself talk then. You have provided no proof but you are the new messiah of the technical folks. What have provided nothing for technical or non technical people. What you have provided is a shopping list of items with some prices you pulled outta thin air and you are claiming you are some tech guru in the know. Please. Anyone here could have done the same pricing with a few clicks and a google search.

You posed a question you knew would cause a stir and you never wanted an answer because you had one in your head already. Disgusting.
This thread is useless. I'm locking it. Aaron, if you find out anything from Grado, please reopen the thread, but until then, this thread is locked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back