Grado bug bites again....should i answer the call?
Jun 16, 2008 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

Dominat0r

Formerly known as HighLife
OHHHH GOD guys, Grado has done it again to me....this time in the form of my recabled SR60s. I cannot put these things down...i find that im grabbing them more then my 650s. It just fits sooo perfectly for my genre of music (Rock and Jazz).

So....now the question is.....do i sell/trade off my 650s for a better grado, or do i sell off the SR60s and go with a MS1 or another mid level grado.

Now, ive owned the MS1s, very nice can...however wanted to move up the ladder and get a pair of SR225s. Both great cans, just couldnt get the bowl thing working. I think im ready again, but dont want to lose the comfort of the 650s.

However, been thinking about a pair of RS2's....anyone comment on these?

OHHHHHH GAWD HELP ME, i hate this place.

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 37
wooden grado's all the way !! Anyway you can listen to them anywhere?

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 37
ive heard many different RS1s, heard many different HP1s...however, i have never heard a RS2. How do they compare?

Ive heard almost every grado on the plant....cept for the SR40 and the PS1s.

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:28 PM Post #4 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ive heard almost every grado on the plant....

i think it would be best if you got off the plant
biggrin.gif
you brain will probably thank you for the rest of your life
tongue.gif

before you get rid of the 650s let me know. i might drive up the road and grab them from you in a few weeks. in terms of grado, i just couldnt get the right fit with the gs1ks and even with the rs1s, i couldnt keep them on for more than 1 or 2 songs. i didnt even like their sound but im guessing the comfort issue probably made me shut out everything else. i did however love the sound of the igrado's and the sr 60s. ive only heard the previous two and the rs1 and gs1k. sold the igrados because of the comfort issue and ended up buying the 650s instead of the sr 60s so thats my explanation because i liked the senn. sound for my musical tastes. but the lower end grados impressed me very much.

i guess you could play it safe and get one of the cheaper grados and see if you feel the urge to spend 700 bucks on the rs1s but most of the threads ive read with grado recommendations, always end up saying..."if you like the grado sound you WILL upgrade so just save up and go straight for the best they have to offer (rs1 or gs1k). choice is up to you. if i had to buy a grado though, i wouldnt go any farther than the sr 80 but thats just good old me.

ps. HOME SWEET HOME! finally.
biggrin.gif

edit : i heard davederek's grados as well but i dont remember which model they were but they didnt sound "special". i want to say ps 1 but i might be wrong. even al had a pair but i never got to listen to his gear =/

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 37
As far as Grado's go for me, I've only listened to the MS1 and APS RS1 and love them both. At the time that I purchased the RS1, I couldn't really afford them, but when I saw a fellow Canuck Head-fier selling a pair of APS RS-1 I didn't think twice about the price(poet and didn't know it
tongue.gif
) and haven't looked backed nor regretted my purchase.

I have to agree that Grado's are perfect for Rock and Jazz. In fact, it was the RS1 that convinced me that Jazz is actually worth listening to.
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 37
So, did you also try an MS2 or an MS-PRO? Sounds like you know what you want. The 225 and the RS2 would be pretty easy to resell here on the forum if you decided that they weren't quite what you'd expected. The higher-end wooded Grado's have a "cult" following... I'm in that camp now with my RS-1. Love these things!

Jun 16, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by mstorie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, did you also try an MS2 or an MS-PRO? Sounds like you know what you want. The 225 and the RS2 would be pretty easy to resell here on the forum if you decided that they weren't quite what you'd expected. The higher-end wooded Grado's have a "cult" following... I'm in that camp now with my RS-1. Love these things!

Yes, ive heard both...i like the MS2 better then the 325i...Ive breifly heard the MSpro, this is the type of sound im going for i think.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 37
and to toss another thought into the mix...what do you guys think of the HF-1 vs the RS2? Im thinking the soundstage was alittle bigger on the RS2, with the same amount of detail.

I remember hearing flecom's HF-1...wasnt overly impressed with them. I mean, they were nice, detailed...smaller soundstage then i thought.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #9 of 37
I dont see the point in selling the 650's and keeping the SR60 AND getting another grado higher up the ladder. Its a more logical step to lose the SR60 and get a higher model.

I am extremely tempted by the RS2 as well. Hoping to get to hear one in the upcoming NoCal meet.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 37
well i would prob sell off the SR60s.

I think im kinda in between selling the 650s + cable and buying the RS2...

Or sell off the SR60 only and pick up a pair of SR225 or MS1s

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 37
I did, ive heard them before at other meets.

I like them, soundstage is nice..im guessing most of that is due to the pads. Pretty neutral sounding for a grado. Maybe a tad distance on the mid area...bass was ok, nothing overly boomy.

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:58 PM Post #14 of 37
sell both buy a RS1 or

Just sell the SR60s and get MS1/SR225s

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #15 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sell both buy a RS1 or

Just sell the SR60s and get MS1/SR225s

Out of those two options, I'd sell both and buy an RS-1, it seems kind of pointless to have an SR-225 and MS-1, rather have one really good headphone or two polar opposite headphones. Another option is just sell the SR-60s and get SR-225s then have money left over, plus you'll still have the HD-650s. Have you listened to HD-600s? If you have what did you think of them compared to Grados?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back