Grado Appreciation Thread
Dec 2, 2005 at 1:06 AM Post #16 of 43
So far I have: SR60 (6 years old?), HF-1 (1 month old), HP3000 shortly (uuh... how exactly do I date this one?).

If you find Grado to be bright, you really owe it to yourself to listen to them via a 120ohm output or adapter.. amazing difference. Takes even the SR60 to a whole new level IMHO.

HP3000 certainly doesn't need it, though...

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:08 AM Post #17 of 43
Although I own the HF1 and am loving it very much...the MS1 is still my fav of the grados I've heard. It feels, sounds, and looks exactly what I luv in a phone. It's the only phone I own that sounds amazing out of a portable whatever. Also, it has been with me for a year which the longest a pair of phones has been in use by me...ever.
Raise a beer to GRADO.

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:11 AM Post #18 of 43
rs1.jpg

Warm, fun, addicting, and wonderful with female vocals. I just get lost in the music.

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:16 AM Post #19 of 43
I like my Grado 325i phones. I like the way they look and are made. I find their cost very attractive. Some find them heavy, but I don't. Some find the stock bowls uncomfortable, but after trying the Headphile C-Pads I found I had to go back to the stock Grado bowls and have zero comfort issues with them. I can't believe I even put these cans up for sale for a while because I wasn't using them at all at work and not so much at home; I'm just glad I had a couple persons back out of buying them. My 325i's make the commute with me to work and help bring my audio hobby through another part of my day.

Sure, I like that they lay flat when I take them off, that they're just about infinitely adjustable, that they come with a leather headband, that they're well made and backed up by a small and caring company, that they're easy to take apart and reassemble by the owner if the need arises. But most of all, it's the sound they produce that make them so worthwhile. I like the immediacy of the Grado sound, I like how they rock out as well as acquit themselves with other musical forms, I like their highs and mids and lows, and I like how my old NAD preamp drives them well for late night bedroom listening.

Yes, I'd prefer to listen to my speakered system, but I can't bring that with me to work or elsewhere, and I can't always be jamming at home when my daughter is trying to get some late night studying done. The 325i phones deliver to me in spades what I want from a headphone, and that makes me a very satisfied user. Of course, there was a time when my daughter was using them quite a bit out of her mini-IPOD, but that's a post for her to make.

Grado 325i= Goldenly Resplendent Audio Done Openly

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:26 AM Post #20 of 43
I've been pining after the RS-1's ever since I heard them at the Milwaukee meet almost 2 years ago. Yesterday my wish came true when I opened up the box that Todd sent. These cans really are beautiful, and I definitely can see myself spending a large chunk of time with them. They suddenly made my HD650's seem, well, sorta dull. I'll still probably use the Senns for watching movies and classical, but for everything else, there's the RS-1. And their soulmate, the RA-1, is on its way!
rs1smile.gif
rs1smile.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 1:39 AM Post #22 of 43
I have Sr-80's, 60's, HF-1's, RS-1's and HP-2's. I love each and everyone of my Grado's and so do my family(so much in fact my "borrowed" the Sr-60's and my father "borrowed" the Sr-80's).

In my opinion - You can never have enough Grado's.

I love all my Grado's. RS-1's and HP-2's are almost the be all and end all of headphones for me.
biggrin.gif
rs1smile.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:05 AM Post #23 of 43
My sig demonstrates my enjoyment of Grado headphones well. In about a year, I've bought a modded SR200, a MS2i, and a HF-1, and I've found nice qualities in all of them. They're not perfect headphones, but I find that they suit me well. I'm lucky in the fact that I have small ears and bowl pads are circumaural on me. I actually dig the retro look and dislike the large size of other headphones since I have a small head. I especially enjoy the clarity that runs true through all of my Grados. It's weird, but I don't actually have a genuine John Grado headphone even though I love the other versions.

Right now, I'm really liking the HF-1 for portable use. They're so lightweight and I find that their strong bass allows them to compensate for the lack of isolation in ways that my other Grados couldn't. For home use, it really depends on my mood.

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:41 AM Post #24 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav
That wouldn't be me would it?

ghetto2.jpg

Gonna have to start team 'Ghetto mod' if this trend continues...

Fully agreed on the team Ghetto Mod
biggrin.gif

I once made a computer case for my server out of a budweiser box.....

caseside.jpg

caseback.jpg

caseopensmall.jpg

Dec 2, 2005 at 2:56 AM Post #25 of 43
Newish Grado fanboy here! I was a Sennheiser fan for 2 years, but started enjoying the Grado sound more and more. I've been through just about every Grado model (except for the SR-40, SR-60, 325(non-i), and PS-1), until I finally settled on the RS-1. Nothing else in the pricerange compares, not even the highly acclaimed HD-650+Zu. <3 my RS-1
smily_headphones1.gif

Pointless pic (yes, mine are very dark!):
http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/5973/dscn37595hr.jpg

Dec 2, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #26 of 43
Another Grado fan here. I definitely prefer the George Alessandro and Joe Grado sound; but props to John for making Grado Labs a success.
smily_headphones1.gif

Accuse me of having lead ears, but my MS-1's sound almost as good as or better than my HP-2's with some music (e.g. pop and rock). I'll probably change my tune when the flat pads arrive, and again when I finally upgrade from my portable sources.
eek.gif

Dec 2, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #27 of 43
Count me in! Like Chef Medeski (& probably others too), I started out on SR-80s, and loved 'em! Even more than the Senn HD-580s, which I felt compelled to try as well, mostly to see if I liked the Senn sound. Actually, I appreciate the HD-580s, but I just like the Grados more. Well, of course I couldn't resist the opportunity when the HF-1s became available & I sold the SR-80s to fund the new ones (although I may someday buy a pair of SR-60s or SR-80s again, as the sound is actually quite different). The HF-1s are now my main can for home listening, and my preferred option for listening from my PCDP (through the Portaphile V2 amp). They are just amazing (no technical terms from me here, I'll leave it at that for now).

Tom

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:14 AM Post #28 of 43
I really <3 my SR225 ever since I switched from the bowls they came with to the Vwap-modded Senn 414 pads. Started with the SR60, and about a year later, I moved up to the SR225. I was amazed at the improvements - all from a PCDP without an amp. I've heard the 325i, but they just don't do it for me like the SR225. I've got the RS1 on my to-buy list, but accumulating that much $$$ without it getting swallowed up by an unexpected incoming expense is NOT gonna be easy. Until then, I'm really savoring the clarity, dynamics, texture, impact, beautiful, beautiful highs and, yes, the soundstage of the SR225 in my rig.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:46 AM Post #29 of 43
I own SR60, HF-1 and HP-2 - One day soon I will acquire an RS-1.

SR60s - Amazing Headphone for the price, hard to beat IMO the most comfortable (stock out of the box) of all the Grados. I currently use them in my portable setup.

HF-1s - Very special headphones indeed. No other headphone that I have heard or owned up to this point can do electric guitars like these babies can. Just plain fun to listen to. original cost ~$200. I seriously doubt there are any other dynamic headphones in that price range that could possibly sound as good as the HF-1s. They sound and perform like a $400 pair of headphones IMO.

HP-2s - I can't say enough good things about these babies. The build quality appears to be the best of all Grados in existence - all of the HP series actually. They truly are a work of art. The cups don't spin thanks to the screw locking mechanisms - praise the Grado Gods. Absolutely love the Retro look, plus I look like 'My Favorite Martian' when I wear them which is a bonus!

And the sound... oh my the sound.
It is difficult for me to put it into words, but in summary I would say that this is *the* dynamic headphone by which all others should be judged. If you want to hear the music exatcly as it was recorded, these should be the headphones of choice. They are the most honest (neutral) sounding headphones I have ever heard or owned. They present the music just as it was meant to be heard - nothing more and nothing less.

Annnd... that's about all I have for now.

Dec 2, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #30 of 43
I've got some SR-325s on the way, I can't wait to hear them. Unfortunately I won't be able to hear them with my Millet Hybrid until I go home in a few weeks, but they're efficient enough that my 1212m should let me experience that awesome Grado sound...the 1212m is actually a really strong source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back