Grado 325, earpiece falls off post, got a fix?
Mar 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

earmonger

1000+ Head-Fier
Ah, eBay, sigh.

Got what I thought was a good price on Grado SR325 from a 100% positive feedback guy.  And they looked good with new bowl pads, and the cords weren't all twisted up, and the sound has all kinds of new details.

And then I realized that they stink of smoke. Anyone have ideas on how to get the smoke smell out of the leather headband? Am trying Zero Odor spray with little or no effect on the leather (though it helped with the cord).  Fragrances (Febreeze) would only make it more disgusting, and I don't want to experiment with those lest they remain in the leather too.

Even worse: on Day 2 of proud SR325 ownership the post has come out of the top of the right earpiece. In case you've never seen one apart, it's just held in by friction with a ribbed end on the post, not a screw thread. And these metal earpieces are now too heavy--the hole in the black plastic seems to be stripped. If it were wood I'd put in Plastic Wood and screw the post in while wet. But it's plastic, and I obviously don't want to shatter the hole.

Can any of you expert Grado  modders suggest a fix? Thanks. There's always eBay buyer protection, but I'd rather have phones I could use.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #2 of 18
Replacing the headband is probably the only way to get the smell out.  You can post a wanted ad in the for sale forum and someone should eventually respond as modifying Grados is a popular hobby for some.

Not quite sure I understand about the earpiece.  The plastic block with the "R" on it no longer holds the earpiece?

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #3 of 18
The end of the post that connects to the earpiece falls out. There is a plastic crescent on which the metal earpiece pivots. That crescent has a hole where the post connects. That hole is stripped--though it doesn't have a screw thread, it's just a friction connection. That's the bigger problem.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 18
Hey I PM'ed you, hopefully you get this worked out man that sucks, what'd you pay for the 325's anyway?

Mar 9, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 18
Does Krazy Glue work with Grado plastic? Or is some other kind of glue better? Brand names, please. 

Hate to buy yet another tube of superglue for one repair and then have it not work, and with plastic it always seems to be trial and error. 

Chris, let's just say the price would have been fine if I didn't have to replace the smoky headband and pads.  Still adds up to a bit under retail but...grrrr....

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 18
I hate when people don't mention in their ads that a piece of gear has been in a smoking environment. That happened to me when I bought my Magnepan center speaker a few years ago. I got a great deal on it, but the minute I opened up the box it was a really strong odor.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 18

Quote:
Does Krazy Glue work with Grado plastic? Or is some other kind of glue better? Brand names, please. 

Hate to buy yet another tube of superglue for one repair and then have it not work, and with plastic it always seems to be trial and error. 

Have you contacted grado? maybe they charge a small amount for a repair. 
just a thought. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 18

Quote:

Chris, let's just say the price would have been fine if I didn't have to replace the smoky headband and pads.  Still adds up to a bit under retail but...grrrr....

Probably.  Epoxy putty if that doesn't work.  Before gluing the rod back in, you should probably roughen the part of the rod that goes in the crescent in order for the glue to get the best possible grip.  For that, a file or rough sandpaper should do.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #9 of 18
Maybe some hot glue since it wouldn't be as permanent? 

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 18
It needs to be permanent.  The earpieces swivel at the plastic blocks, not the crescent that holds them.

He explained it clearly.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #11 of 18
I have had good luck with conventional super-glue for putting the rods back into the C-shaped thingy, as the OP describes. Just a small little drop will do. 

Smoke sucks, sorry I got nothing to help you there. 

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #12 of 18
for the headband try a combination of the leatherique conditioner and cleaner. Do a heavy coat of the conditioner, wait 24 hours and then use the cleaner. It might take several applications but that should take care of the smell and your headband will be extremely clean and soft when it is done.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 18
Heya,

Get some of these from the hardware store // audio store (I forget what they're called, but you should be able to describe it to someone at the shops and they'll know what it is):

I have it on a SR325i that I had gotten used that was loose.

Use a little Allen wrench to tighten/loosen and adjust.

Very best,

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:00 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Heya,

Get some of these from the hardware store // audio store (I forget what they're called, but you should be able to describe it to someone at the shops and they'll know what it is):

I have it on a SR325i that I had gotten used that was loose.

Use a little Allen wrench to tighten/loosen and adjust.

Very best,

I've been looking for something along these lines, should they distribute them at most major home improvement stores, or must I go to a more specialized hardware store?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back